Options

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS

idoteechidoteech Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited April 26, 2008 in Cameras
Just rented the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS from Borrow Lenses. We are spending a week in Disney. Do you think this a good "vacation" lens?

Eva

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited April 24, 2008
    That lens is very popular for a reason; for many people it does make a very good all-pupose lens. For my style I suspect it would be a little long for much of what I would want to shoot.

Disney theme parks are detailed and immersive fantasy arenas. They have both breadth and expanse as well as detail and distance. The Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS will do well with the detail and distance needs, but not so well on a crop camera with the wide vista type images. You also might have problems with people in front of you if you position yourself far back enough to capture a wide expanse.

Some people couple the Canon EF-S 10-22mm, f/3.5-4.5 USM (or similar) with the 24-105mm to give a very nice 10:1 overall travel range.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    idoteechidoteech Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Thanks Ziggy...guess I'll give it a try. Hopefully I can get some good shots.
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    It's a terrific lens. I love it on both my 5D and 40D. Yes, on a crop sensor you lose on the wide, but gain even more on the long end. For Disney, I think you'll have more situations where you "can't get closer" than where you "can't back up". Therefore I don't think the 24 is going to hurt you all that much and the 105 will come in very handy.

Thing is -- it's not a paricularly light lens. You'll feel it carrying it around your neck all day. But that's the price of getting a very nice optic verses one of the 18-200 type super zooms.

It's also image stabilized which comes in handy.

The other lenses I would consider -- is the Canon 17-85 IS -- not as nice optically, but more than good enough for vacation pics. Fixes the wide part but doesn't give you as much reach. Not a big deal.

Or one of the super zooms from Tamron or Sigma with image stabilization. I think for vaction pics they are more than fine -- and they will likely be lighter.

Lee
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    I have the 24-105 and love it. For my style of shooting I find that it covers what I need 90% of the time. For the other 10% I have the 10-22 sitting in the bag ready to go.

Enjoy you trip and make sure to post some shots when you get back.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    I would say it's an excellent lens. I typically bring only my 24-70 mounted to my 20D on my Disney trips. I very rarely feel the need for my 12-24--I have a couple of times, but only for a couple of shots.

FYI, I have kept my Lowepro OffTrail2 bag mainly for this kind of situation--it's justthe right size for the camera & lens with a little more space in the side lens cases, yet easy enough to shift around for the rides. I also use the Op/Tech Pro Loop strap, it's comfortable even with a 70-200/2.8 hanging off it.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    My 24-105 was the only lens save for maybe 10 shots with my 70-200... that I used in Japan for 10 days. It's a fantastic trip / general purpose lens.

I've been highly contemplating upgrading to the 24-70 only for the added benefit of the 2.8... but it's still a hard decision for me since I love the range and sharpness of my 24-105.

Enjoy Disney!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 25, 2008
    idoteech,

A quick search using "andy 24-105" here on dgrin reveals three great threads about the 24-105 L. This topic has been discussed extensively previously. This lens accounts for the majority of my shots and I have a larger collection of Canon lenses, than even Andy has:D :D

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=26874&highlight=andy+24-105

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=26874&highlight=andy+24-105

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=75438&highlight=andy+24-105
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    the 24-105 works very well for on-camera lens. I used it almost exclusively for my travelling kit. The IS is great and handy. F4 plus the IS combine with the low noise from high ISO in 5D allows me to do a lot of indoor shots without flash.

Remember to bring along a light and good protection bag for the camera and lens so that you can enjoy the rides and have more fun.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    AllenWayneAllenWayne Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 26, 2008
    IS lens
    I love mine, it's a great vacation lens in my opinion. I especially love the IS feature you will love it too, gaurantee!!:ivar
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Just to show off some of the photos I captured w/ my 24-105 f4 in japan to give you an idea of what this lens is capable of:

266383240_c8t23-S.jpg

266395313_UPhqg-S.jpg

266377881_aLECB-S.jpg

As you can see it delivers superb colors and is very sharp.
  • Options
    BrascoleBrascole Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    idoteech wrote:
    Just rented the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS from Borrow Lenses. We are spending a week in Disney. Do you think this a good "vacation" lens?

Eva

Yes Yes Yes. I switched to Nikon BUT kept my Canon 20D. Sold all my Canon gear except two lenses, the 10-22 and 24-105L. As the moderator said these two lenses make a great travel combo. Wish Nikon had a lens like the 24-105L.