Cleopatra

Richard CabesaRichard Cabesa Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited March 24, 2005 in Other Cool Shots
Well, Lynnma says dogs are allowed and Rutt says black dogs are hard and I agree. I have taken probably several hundred pics of Cleo an not been happy with any of them.

I finally got a couple that I like. What do you think?

17932912-M.jpg

17932910-M.jpg

18009598-M.jpg

David

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    Jeepers, what's not to like here? Great detail and the bright midday light doesn't harm this shot. It's centered, and those flowers in his chest are a wee bit distracting (that's a matter of personal preference, maybe). But this is an excellent shot, old boy.

17932910-S.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    They look...
    great to me. You are right about black dogs being hard to photograph without loosing detail. You did real well in bright sunlight.

I really like the setting and how the yellow flowers offset the black of Cleo's coat.

I like the first two about equally well, the third looks to be slightly *off* somehow, focus or exposure maybe?

Nice work though...
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    lovely doggie shots..:D
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    Well, Lynnma says dogs are allowed and Rutt says black dogs are hard and I agree. I have taken probably several hundred pics of Cleo an not been happy with any of them.

I finally got a couple that I like. What do you think?

David
    Black dogs are really tough. You did a great job!

Sam
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    The contrast of black and yellow is great. Getting black dogs to look really great is a complete "black art". Keeping them from being cyan is tough. These are fine.
    If not now, when?
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    Any serious photographer with a black lab should:

1. Know how to use LAB curves to neutralize the black fur and get the cyan out.
    2. Study Chapter 7 of Dan Margulis' Professional Photoshop carefully. Pay especial attention to the section "How to hold shadow detail" that starts on page 131 and uses the model in the black lace dress as an example.
    Combine these two techniques and your black lab shots really benefit. Don't give up. It's taken me a long time to figure this out, but it was worth it.
    If not now, when?
  • Richard CabesaRichard Cabesa Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2005
    Thanks for the input, every little bit helps

David
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 24, 2005
    These are terrific; especially #1 and #2.

Great! thumb.gif