Options

San Fransisco

zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
edited April 25, 2008 in Journeys
Rumor has it that I was on the left coast last month. In going through my photos, it looks like those rumors are correct.

We arrived late on Friday, and crashed at Aktse's place (thanks April!). We had a pretty relaxed morning where we met up with Shizam, Bethy, and Ian408. The only shot I have from it is my speed pano
273331364_FZxFg-XL-1.jpg

Then we headed up into the city for the afternoon. Our friend Anya took us on a bit of a stairway tour through part of the city. The views were beautiful!

At the top of the hill this was our view:
273650182_KpTY2-XL-3.jpg

On the way up we saw an amazing house with some cute dogs
274358374_fQhh4-L-1.jpg

and a nice garden
274358525_c4Xmb-L-1.jpg

274358167_wxEXn-L-1.jpg

Schmoo caught some great shots also
274357550_JYEPA-L-1.jpg

Being the slacker I am, I don't have any photos from the evening. We had some great sushi, and then went to Bourbon & Branch for drinks. Then back to Mountain View.

Sunday morning we went to the local farmers market. Which, among many other wonderful things, had the worlds greatest apple sauce (no photo sorry).
It was also great from people watching
274796563_ovzrJ-L-1.jpg

274796658_TfYLC-L-1.jpg

274797335_hHphR-L-1.jpg

Oh, yeah, and there was produce as well :D
274797632_RZhEu-L-1.jpg

274796926_ZRgdN-L-1.jpg

After the market we headed back into SF and hit the Haight (as my first time in SF, how could we not?)
The colors are amazing
274795009_s9jbb-L-1.jpg

274795744_L9U2A-L-1.jpg

With colorful people as well
274795135_BxfYF-L-1.jpg
This one was taken sitting in a pub, with these two crossing the street. I've never had long glass like this before, or an amazing body. Borrowing the 1DmkIII from Sam and the 70-200 from April was just amazing! Thanks guys!
274794665_fnuHo-L-1.jpg

After the Haight we met up with dadwtwins, LiquidAir, and Cal for a trip to Alcatraz that April was kinda enough to organize for us.
274792510_iJEqB-L-1.jpg

274792737_QZ7gJ-L-1.jpg

(more images in the Alcatraz thread)

And then I stopped taking pictures. Monday we went to Pixar to visit a friend of mine, and while the campus is amazing, we were in too much of a hurry to do much photography.

You can see the whole gallery here.

C&C always welcomed and appreciated.
Travis

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    I love the shot of the man and the dogs. Ava and Zsa-Zsa! I never heard of better names for princess puppies. :D

You have such a knack for street photography. I can see you spending a lot more time on the road doing this, but I couldn't imagine you growing dreads like that hippy. lol3.gif

SF is one of the most colorful places I have ever been. And it's very well documented in this set. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Travis
    Nice set! My favorites are the candid bw of the older gentleman and the last shot from Alcatraz. San Fran is colorful. I haven't been in 15 yrs - need to find a reason to go!

ann
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Hey there Travis, I heard about your early morning arrival at April's.
    SanFrancisco is a wonderful place to visit, and April lives handy to SmugMug HeadQuarters, and handy to lots of things.

Glad you guys had a great time, I'm looking forward to going there again in October.

Great Series, it's a colourful City, those dogs are too cute iloveyou.gif
    The produce shots, is that the Market near April's place?
    I went to a Farmers Market with April, and the quality of the produce was excellent as were the prices thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing your trip Travis, nice work thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey there Travis, I heard about your early morning arrival at April's.
    SanFrancisco is a wonderful place to visit, and April lives handy to SmugMug HeadQuarters, and handy to lots of things.

Glad you guys had a great time, I'm looking forward to going there again in October.

Great Series, it's a colourful City, those dogs are too cute iloveyou.gif
    I went to a Farmers Market with April, and the quality of the produce was excellent as were the prices thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing your trip Travis, nice work thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

Yup, that was the Market near April's place. They had great oranges and applesauce (that's all I had).
    Travis
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Skippy wrote:

He might have just had the applesauce and a few oranges, but I got completely stuffed on strawberries, dates, oranges, naan, chutney, tomatoes, cider, and more strawberries. Best breakfast I've had in years. :D

That is a fabulous market, indeed!
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    I love San Francisco clap.gif

You captured it well. Looks like you all had a wonderful time.
  • Options
    squidddsquiddd Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Nice pictures.clap.gif
    I have never been to west coast. Maybe I shall start planning the journey now...
    Welcome to my small landscape gallery:
    http://squiddd.smugmug.com/Landscapes
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Waaaaaaaaaaay Kooool pics makes me want to go back.....I really love China Town back alleys and also the Wharfs back streets.......I find any certain one I like over the other....maybe dreaded sitar player......not sure if he was any good but that is one of my fav Indian instruments next to the Tabla..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Great great great stuff! I especially like the sprouting tree, and the last two images. Lovely stuff.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclap

I’m glad that the two of you made it out for a visit! Come back any time! And come back soon!

Very nice work! I think you did a tremendous job in capturing the west coast -- beautiful panos, gorgeous wide open skies, interesting and colorful buildings, expressive faces of people along with some history of the city. Well done!

My favorite of the set is the photo of the old man at the farmers market and staircase at the Rock.

And I've been trying to buy that apple sauce since you left... they haven't made any more and keep promising soon.
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Awesome series Travis!! I like the last shot and the branch with the leaf the best!!