Options

Snowy Spring Mountains

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited April 26, 2008 in Journeys
So the plan was to go out Thursday and come back Friday, spending the night in a remote mountain hut. This same route and destination have turned me back several times before for various reasons, though, so it wasn't too big a surprise when things didn't go as planned. :rofl

The issue with reaching this hut in the winter is of course the enormous amount of snow in the mountains. We thought we'd get around it this time by borrowing a snowmachine and just cruising right up there. That worked for the portion of the trail that's well travelled, but fresh snow bogged us down immediately on reaching the end of that road, and after a couple hours of digging the snowmachine out, we realized conditions weren't going to allow us to get any further.:scratch

Unfortunately I didn't start taking pictures until after all the work was done, but we sat down and ate dinner before turning around and riding out. Here's a few shots from that. :D

Tracy and some of the summer climbing in the background.
snowgo02.jpg

Archangel Creek, loaded with tons of snow.
snowgo05.jpg

snowgo06.jpg

We had mild hopes of finding dry rock to climb, but that was not to be the case. :rofl
snowgo08.jpg

One shot OF me instead of by me. My feet aren't on the ground here. Actually I think I was over the creek, but I can't be sure. :D
snowgo12.jpg

One more of tracy. Bigger boots and way less weight helped her out a lot. :rofl
snowgo13.jpg

And to wrap it up, here's the outside wall of the cabin we stopped at for dinner. This cabin isn't furnished like the destination cabin is, so we decided against just staying here for the night, and went home for some warmth.
snowgo14.jpg
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments