Options

Season Not Yet Open for Climbing

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited April 28, 2008 in Journeys
Tracy and I took off late Tuesday night, driving for an hour in the wrong direction to pick up a bum. :D Fire training was over for the evening, and there was a period of time when we weren't busy, which coincided with a period of time when Kelsey wasn't busy, so something had to be done. Arriving at Kelsey's place at around midnight, I persuaded him to take the wheel, and we drove for two hours in the opposite direction.

Sometime in the neighborhood of EARLY we made camp, dropping off the road into a ditch overlooking Weiner Lake and settling in. Here's Kelsey, digging himself a cozy tent trench.
spring01.jpg

We awoke to Kelsey's complaining footsteps, crunching away to the road early in the morning. Then we went back to sleep. :rofl

When we DID eventually crawl out of our giant pile of comfort (car camping, while often disdained, does have its benefits), I wandered down the road to find Kelsey pacing in his sleeping bag, enjoying the magnificent views Alaska has to offer and basking in the warm morning sun. My friend owns a cabin overlooking the lake, although we didn't stop in to say hi. It's a nice place.

spring02.jpg

After some aimless enjoyment of all this majesty, we had ourselves some delicious freeze-dried food over the stove, and moved camp to Kelsey's commandeered pullout. We may have looked a bit odd to the average passer-by, laying on the road in sleeping bags, but the view and company were both great.

spring03.jpg

spring04.jpg

A couple hours later we decided that the rocks were simply not going to warm up, and abandoned our hopes of early season climbing on the crags overlooking Weiner Lake. Besides, me and Kelsey had business to attend to, so we packed our gear into my car and took off on a leisurely route home.

Along the way we stopped by some boulders in the shade of King Mountain. It was too cold to climb there, too, so we ventured out onto the frozen Matanuska River to see if we could get to the other side. It looked like we could if we angled between two sections of open water on a slippery slope of what looked like snow mixed with overflow. We left it at that, and explored our side of the river. :rofl

Here's a crack in an impressively thick piece of solid water.
spring05.jpg

Alaska adventure portraits. Contact us if you want yours! :D
spring07.jpg

spring08.jpg

It never did warm up enough to climb, so maybe we'll come back next month and try again. For now, enjoy the earthbound pics, and keep up the global warming! :D

spring09.jpg
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    That looks a little dangerous between the ice. Definitely a photo you wouldn't want to show your Mom....:D

No mittens? My hands would be freezing.

Enjoyed the photos...Thanks :D
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    Nice pics John. Although i specifically rememeber you saying "I am not going to put this picture of you running and dancing from the ice on the internet"!
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Nice pics John. Although i specifically rememeber you saying "I am not going to put this picture of you running and dancing from the ice on the internet"!

No I said "I am not going to put this picture of you dancing around with a goofy face on the internet." :D I have the good facial expressions saved, but not online. rolleyes1.gifrofl

Thanks for the comments! thumb.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    coldclimb wrote:
    No I said "I am not going to put this picture of you dancing around with a goofy face on the internet." :D I have the good facial expressions saved, but not online. rolleyes1.gifrofl

Saw Todd and Sasha today. They said that it was 40 degrees or so and the climbing at Chickaloon boulders was great.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited April 26, 2008
    coldclimb wrote:

I am disappointed lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Season not open? I didn't know you guys abided by such rules! lol3.gif

Looks like fun regardless. :D