Options

A Recent Engagement Session (quite a few images...)

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited April 29, 2008 in Weddings
Here is one of my most recent engagements sessions: (shot in all manual and edited in bridge with my own actions, except for the one under the train tracks - used Kevin's actions)

IMG_0716copycopy.jpg

IMG_0758copy.jpg

3 (does this one look blurry to you? hahha! just kidding - this is more..."abstract") ;-)
IMG_0792copy.jpg

IMG_0963copy.jpg

IMG_1025copy.jpg

IMG_1326copy.jpg

IMG_1225copy.jpg

IMG_1283copy.jpg

9 (sorry about that RANDOM stamp...hahaha!)
IMG_0850copy.jpg

Thanks for looking!

- Ross
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• Options
    RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Ross, you have some nice artsy images, but in a few images your compositions are not very strong. The subject/s are centered and cut off.

Love #2!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    nice shots, all.

The only thing that didn't work for me was sitting in the parking lot. It looks like a romantic pose, but a romantic pose sitting in a parking lot?
  • Options
    BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    these are great! I bet they loved them!
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • Options
    BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    clap.gif..... i really like how you play with the sunlight in the background! Very pretty!!

I see you have a lot of primes in your glass line up. May i ask what you used mostly for this shoot?... i'm having trouble deciding on some new glass of my own! (please don't say your 70-200!! I can't afford it!! ;-)

Great work!! thumb.gif
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Briggie wrote:
    clap.gif..... i really like how you play with the sunlight in the background! Very pretty!!

I see you have a lot of primes in your glass line up. May i ask what you used mostly for this shoot?... i'm having trouble deciding on some new glass of my own! (please don't say your 70-200!! I can't afford it!! ;-)

Great work!! thumb.gif

Thanks, everyone! The Client did love them, and I was thrilled - definitely some of my favorite (non-traditionaly) shots in there!

Briggie, I have some good news...and some bad news. I did not take those with my 70-200 :) which is the good news. haha. I actually never use my 70-200 for portrait shoots, I'm too up close and personal with my clients to EVER use something that required me to be so far away to get the bokeh I want. The other good news is that #1, 8, and 9 were taken with the 50 f/1.4 which is VERY reasonable in price!

But the bad news is that #2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 were taken with the 24 f/1.4L which isn't that much cheaper than my 70-200...but it's an AMAZING lens and it's SWEEEEEET - a new favorite actually. that wide with that aperture?! CRAZY....definitely worth looking into

if you can't get the 24/1.4, take a look at the 28/1.8. MUCH cheaper, but a great lens.
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    rosselliot wrote:
    Thanks, everyone! The Client did love them, and I was thrilled - definitely some of my favorite (non-traditionaly) shots in there!

Briggie, I have some good news...and some bad news. I did not take those with my 70-200 :) which is the good news. haha. I actually never use my 70-200 for portrait shoots, I'm too up close and personal with my clients to EVER use something that required me to be so far away to get the bokeh I want. The other good news is that #1, 8, and 9 were taken with the 50 f/1.4 which is VERY reasonable in price!

But the bad news is that #2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 were taken with the 24 f/1.4L which isn't that much cheaper than my 70-200...but it's an AMAZING lens and it's SWEEEEEET - a new favorite actually. that wide with that aperture?! CRAZY....definitely worth looking into

if you can't get the 24/1.4, take a look at the 28/1.8. MUCH cheaper, but a great lens.

clap.gif thanks for the news.... i also noticed you shoot on a full frame?... I've got a little D50 that i'm shooting with... so i guess it would be hard for me to compare!:D I've got a 50mm 1.8 that's almost always on my camera. But, I'm toying with the idea of adding a 35mm F2 to my arsenal for portraits. Care to lend your expertise?...(can I ask a question like that in this thread?) BTW, I LOVE your site! bowdown.gifReally like how you see things!!
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • Options
    javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    Nice PP, but I would question some of the compositions, and also the location. I would have expected more of an urban feel (their look and attire, as well as the style) from that kind of location.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    Ross, you have some nice artsy images, but in a few images your compositions are not very strong. The subject/s are centered and cut off.

Love #2!

Ross, I always enjoy checking out your work, in fact, I visit your website once in a while to see what you've been up to. What appeals to me about your work on your site is that your clients always seem to be having such fun and your photos convey that. You have a definite 'style' which is not easy to latch onto as a photographer. That being said, I do not feel your style coming through on this set. Compared to prior work of yours, these shots feel more like they are about the processing than the people or the photography. They still are nice and I'm sure the clients love them. I'm not wild about the actions, but that's personal taste. I do like the processing on the 2nd shot. (Not sure about all that roof though. :D ) What I'm attempting to point out is, while it's fun to experiment, don't sacrifice your great style just for the sake of art. I'm reminded of when a favorite band suddenly changes their music how bummed I am. Just hoping you don't stray too far! Hope you don't mind me pointing it out, since compared to most of us, your work is still great.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    I really like #2, 4, 5, 8, and 9. I'm a little lost on the lighting conditions in them. Were you using a reflector in most of these? I really like the pose and lines in 6, but don't get the parking lot concept. Can you explain why you all decided to shoot there?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com