Classic 18 footer race

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited May 1, 2008 in Sports

Comments

• Options
    WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    This thread deserves a bump!

Nice shots Gus! I've always been amazed as to how these boats didn't overturn with such tall masts and sails compared to the actual boat size. That first pic is the reason why people should be required to apply for a speedo wearing license. :Ddeal.gif

These are exposed nicely. I've only done a few shots over water and usually had to use a circular polarizer to keep the sun's reflections from killing shots or driving the meter nuts. Did you use one here?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited May 1, 2008
    The small boat races are the best.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2008
    This thread deserves a bump!

Nice shots Gus! I've always been amazed as to how these boats didn't overturn with such tall masts and sails compared to the actual boat size. That first pic is the reason why people should be required to apply for a speedo wearing license. :Ddeal.gif

These are exposed nicely. I've only done a few shots over water and usually had to use a circular polarizer to keep the sun's reflections from killing shots or driving the meter nuts. Did you use one here?

Tks william...no polariser, i only have an f5.6 & whilst it is laser sharp at that ap...i cant afford to lose any more speed that late in the afternoon but that is the time for colour & low shadows.

Funny you mentioned about the speed (we call them Bugie Smugglers or DT's) license. That chap used to live on that very boat not far from the boat i used to live on with my family & believe me...and believe me its just nice just to see him wearing anything these days if you get my drift.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    The small boat races are the best.
    They certainly are. They really get going with such big sails.
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Looks like a fun day, pretty gusty unless I'm reading the water wrong. These are the precursers to today's Aussie 18s right?

Hooray for fast dinghies! This from someone who's paid for most of his equipment as a sailing instructor... I'd love a chance to get out there on an old skiff, unfortunately my lake doesn't have the boats necessary, I have to content myself with fast cats :D

I always found the trouble with sailing photography was the white sails, and contrast in general, the metering really doesn't like having your frame filled with brilliant white and a little bit of dark stuff at the bottom, or vice versa, and in rapidly varying proportions. I've found it makes exposure compensation a constant struggle, unless you shoot manual, and even then, if the action moves, the water and sunlight behave very differently if you face in different directions later in the day. A circular polarizer deffinitely helps the images, and gives massive control over the water, but even then, it only increases the contrast (making the meter sometimes even more frantic)

In any case bravo!! Beautiful boats, makes me wish I was there!
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2008
    Robinivich wrote:
    Looks like a fun day, pretty gusty unless I'm reading the water wrong. These are the precursers to today's Aussie 18s right?

Hooray for fast dinghies! This from someone who's paid for most of his equipment as a sailing instructor... I'd love a chance to get out there on an old skiff, unfortunately my lake doesn't have the boats necessary, I have to content myself with fast cats :D

I always found the trouble with sailing photography was the white sails, and contrast in general, the metering really doesn't like having your frame filled with brilliant white and a little bit of dark stuff at the bottom, or vice versa, and in rapidly varying proportions. I've found it makes exposure compensation a constant struggle, unless you shoot manual, and even then, if the action moves, the water and sunlight behave very differently if you face in different directions later in the day. A circular polarizer deffinitely helps the images, and gives massive control over the water, but even then, it only increases the contrast (making the meter sometimes even more frantic)

In any case bravo!! Beautiful boats, makes me wish I was there!
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Tks Robin for looking & commenting. Im not exactly sure about the boats...i just know that they call them classics. Yes your right...it was a gusty day.

...truth be known i never ever worry about whites...blow-outs etc etc. Im not a technical photographer what-so-ever. What i look for is expression or situation. Ive found (strictly for myself) that worrying about all the technicalities means missing what i want to photograph...i sort of like the warts & all thing. If im panning & the sun happens to come into frame i just think...well this will maybe look different. i tend to always put the cart before the horse though rolleyes1.gif
    Sounds like a good policy!

My main issue with the metering is that thanks to the huge white sails that the camera wants to make grey, anything else in the scene gets underexposed, sometimes to the point of sailors being silhouettes, which, while pretty cool can be annoying to correct if it's not what you're going for.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2008
    Robinivich wrote:
    Sounds like a good policy!

My main issue with the metering is that thanks to the huge white sails that the camera wants to make grey, anything else in the scene gets underexposed, sometimes to the point of sailors being silhouettes, which, while pretty cool can be annoying to correct if it's not what you're going for.