Options

Sales Tax Question

mgeventphotosmgeventphotos Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
Hi guys,

I tried to search on here for an answer but I couldnt find my exact question. I know that when a customer makes a purchase through SmugMug, I as the photographer do not have to deal with sales tax. My question is this: I recently sold some photos on site that I need to have printed and mailed. I'm under the impression that since I made the sale, I am responsible for sales tax on that sale. If I want to use SmugMug as a fulfillment house, is there a way to not get taxed again on the prints? I am in California, so I get taxed on any purchase from SmugMug.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    Hi, Sorry there is not - we must collect Sales Tax on all orders placed & shipped in California.
  • Options
    MaksimusMaksimus Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    how to collect sales tax
    Hi guys,
    is there any one who could advise me how to collect sales taxes in Minnesota on sales of my photographs from my clients,please let me know.
    I have to admit starting my own "photography sales" is not very easy so far.I am talking about state rules,uffffheadscratch.gif
    Thank you in advance.
    Hi guys,

I tried to search on here for an answer but I couldnt find my exact question. I know that when a customer makes a purchase through SmugMug, I as the photographer do not have to deal with sales tax. My question is this: I recently sold some photos on site that I need to have printed and mailed. I'm under the impression that since I made the sale, I am responsible for sales tax on that sale. If I want to use SmugMug as a fulfillment house, is there a way to not get taxed again on the prints? I am in California, so I get taxed on any purchase from SmugMug.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    today is the day , take the picture .:thumb .
    www.inmyviewnow.com:barb
  • Options
    mgeventphotosmgeventphotos Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 30, 2008
    Thank you for the response Andy. Thats what I was afraid of. I figured CA would have a way to get you coming and going.
  • Options
    Gregg HallGregg Hall Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, Sorry there is not - we must collect Sales Tax on all orders placed & shipped in California.

Actually legally it is possible, if the person buying the photos has a reseller's licence you don't have to charge them sales tax, because only the end user has to pay sales tax.

Logistically, that's a whole other story.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Gregg Hall wrote:
    Logistically, that's a whole other story.

:D Very true!

This is certainly a benefit to living in a sales tax free state... though not when the state budget comes up for discussion in the legislature. Who ever would have thought a sales tax could benefit government services like public schools? headscratch.gif

Seriously-- any decent book on running a photography business will cover the issue of a sales tax and getting a resellers license and all that. Not that I ever read those sections... rolleyes1.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+