Options

Better Customer (mine) Service

rhurleyrhurley Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
I like using smugmug for my photo display and sales. I only wish that I could provide my customers real "transaction" type processing.

1.) I'd like to offer a discount on future orders once they purchase something. I don't want to have to set up a new gallery for each customer with discounted pricing.

2.) I'd like the ability to be able to provide the customer credits. If they pay by credit card and have some type of order problem, I can't credit their card back.

3.) I'd like to have the address to be able to send a physical thank you card to each customer that spends a certain amount. I'm told this isn't possible. It seems like you must have the address in order to send the order to the customer.

The first two seem like basic transactions in a "real" sales environment. If I purchased something from a company and had a problem and they told me they don't have a way to credit my credit card, I would think they are a fly-by-night scam.

Any other thoughts on these?

Rich

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    Hi, thanks for posting :)

We're working on the first two.

We only provide the email address of your customer, so you can email them easily. We still aren't comfortable giving out physical addresses and information - we're technically the seller and the guardian of their personal info that they provide at time of purchase.

It's a subject that comes up a lot, and generates a lot of passion from our pros - we understand your desire to have this for sure, but we also have to balance our responsibility for the customer's private information.
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    rhurley wrote:
    I like using smugmug for my photo display and sales. I only wish that I could provide my customers real "transaction" type processing.

1.) I'd like to offer a discount on future orders once they purchase something. I don't want to have to set up a new gallery for each customer with discounted pricing.

2.) I'd like the ability to be able to provide the customer credits. If they pay by credit card and have some type of order problem, I can't credit their card back.

3.) I'd like to have the address to be able to send a physical thank you card to each customer that spends a certain amount. I'm told this isn't possible. It seems like you must have the address in order to send the order to the customer.

The first two seem like basic transactions in a "real" sales environment. If I purchased something from a company and had a problem and they told me they don't have a way to credit my credit card, I would think they are a fly-by-night scam.

Any other thoughts on these?

Rich
    I ran across this post from Andy (its almost 18 months old now) with an idea to help with #3. A custom "thank you" photo card would be a very cool addition to the package of photos that is otherwise 100% SmugMug branded. And including it with the photos directly would save you the added cost of postage for the card you would mail out (if you had a physical address to send it to in the first place).

Sadly, discounts (and packages) seem to be a much sought after "Holy Grail" for SM Pro users. They (SM) have been "working on it" as Andy said for at least a year (since I originally signed up), quite probably longer with no word yet on when we might expect anything.

Credits I would rather not deal with personally and I'm not sure you even could since SM handles the CC transaction.

SmugMug has a truly fantastic guarantee and includes contact info with the shipment should there be a problem.