Options

How to Keep Camera Stationary w/Heavy Lens?

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited May 16, 2008 in Accessories
Is there a piece of gear that will help keep your camera level on a tripod when using a heavier lens? In testing the 18-200mm lens I got yesterday, I've discovered it's heavy enough to pull the camera downward when I have it on the tripod vertically (portrait instead of landscape). Not something I've encountered before. Are there ways around this? :dunno

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Is there a piece of gear that will help keep your camera level on a tripod when using a heavier lens? In testing the 18-200mm lens I got yesterday, I've discovered it's heavy enough to pull the camera downward when I have it on the tripod vertically (portrait instead of landscape). Not something I've encountered before. Are there ways around this? ne_nau.gif
    Thats not a heavy set up. A good tripod head should be well able to support it. Which head are you using ?
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Thats not a heavy set up. A good tripod head should be well able to support it. Which head are you using ?
    15524779-Ti.gif

Get a good bogen/manfrotto or gitzo tripod & head.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2008
    gus wrote:

Er, whatever came wth my Sunpak tripod? Heh. One more thing I need to upgrade, is it?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Er, whatever came wth my Sunpak tripod? Heh. One more thing I need to upgrade, is it?
    If its not holding that set up then i would say you def need to look at something better. Forgive me if im wrong here as i know nothing about sunpak except a quick google just then...they do not appear to be a higher quality unit so i can assume neither is their supplied head thus it probably is at its limit with that setup.

As swintonphoto said...try the major brands that are intermediately priced and you will not go wrong with that weight. That said ...you will probably have to look at a tripod upgrade to suit the better head.

Nothing is more annoying than a tripod head playing up. Mine was $200 & i thought at the time...this will do however after 2 years its driving me crazy & i can see i need to start looking in the $400-$500 head range.

What a joyous money pit we are in.
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    You are talking about torque...
    I am guessing that you are talking about the camera twisting on the tripod screw by the torque of the heavier lens pulling it down.

This is a very common problem but, thankfully there are simple solutions IF you are using either a Manfrotto head with a RC2 Quick release system or are using a head that is Arca Swiss Compatible.

Manfrotto RC2 Quick Release System:

Use either the 3157 Architectural Plate which incorporates a lip to prevent the camera torquing. This link is to the plate with a 3/8 inch camera screw. There is a plate with a 1/4" standard tripod screw but, I cannot find it on the Manfrotto site.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/Jahia/site/bius/pid/6780?detailPid=8153&actualPathCategoryKey=1CAT:AAA1:2CAT:BB24:3CAT:CCC1&kindOfProductCollectionRequest=productDetail&marketList=MARKET:MKT1|&productCode=3157ANR&productDescription=3157ANR%20-%20QK%20REL%20ARCHITECTURAL%20PLATE%203/8&curBrandId=MANFROTTO&product_from_search=true

Or use the Manfrotto "L" Plate. Sorry I don't know the Manfrotto number for their "L" plate but I have attached an illustration. I always have problems locating any specific equipment on Manfrottos web site and I get frustrated trying to find a specific item.

Arca Swiss Compatible:

Many Arca Swiss Compatible camera plates have anti-twist tabs which will prevent the camera from twisting on the tripod screw. An example of this type of plate is the Giottos 657.

http://www.adorama.com/GTMH657.html?searchinfo=Giottos%20657%20plate&item_no=2

There are universal/generic "L" plates for Arca QR systems. Here is a Giottos Model

http://www.adorama.com/GTMH680.html?searchinfo=giottos%20l%20plate&item_no=18

All of the above are good ways to keep the camera from rotating in the vertical position. However, IMO the absolute best way to prevent camera torque and to facilitate easy switching from horizontal to vertical camera positions is to use a Really Right Stuff camera plate which is designed to fit the contours of specific cameras. I have one for my 30D and it is just great to work with. I like this plate because it is easy to hand hold the camera with the plate attached since the plate conforms to the camera contours.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/quick_start/index.html

There is another great advantage to using an "L" plate (either generic or camera specific). When using a plate of this type, the camera/lens is supported directly over the tripod head in both the horizontal and vertical positions, not out to the side as is the case when you simply flip a camera on its side using a ball head. Obviously, a camera is more stable directly over the tripod head than it is hanging off to the side.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    I have seen the sunpaks at wally world and unfortunately you will need to replace the whole tripod.....as a person that is quite tight with money but will spend good money for good equipment....I found Giottos to be a good replacement for manforott/bogen ......many of the better camera stores are starting to carry Giottos and some really good deals for them are on Ebay from time to time.....

Very seldom will you find a tripod that comes witha head attached to be a really good set up for anything besides larger P/S or very small DSLR kit set..........

A good set of legs and a good head is what you need to upgrade to.....I am not saying a leg set and head that will cost you $500......when looking at them keep track of the weight they will support......your legs need to suport a little more than your head......

hope this helps
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 3, 2008
    I've been spending so much time upgrading my glass I never even thought about the tripod. Holy moly that's a lot of info. Incredibly helpful! Thank you all so much. :D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 4, 2008
    Does the 18-200 lens not have its own tripod foot, so that the weight can be centered over the tripod head? Most 70-200 lenses have a tripod foot so that the camera base is not mounted on the tripod head.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Does the 18-200 lens not have its own tripod foot, so that the weight can be centered over the tripod head? Most 70-200 lenses have a tripod foot so that the camera base is not mounted on the tripod head.

None of the 18-200 I have seen have had a t-pod foot or even a place to add ring and foot.....which is way too bad also......I would like to see them on primes from 50 up but realise the size of the lenses has a lot ot do with being able to add a ring and foot.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 4, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:

It doesn't, unfortunately. I double-checked to ensure my blonde genes hadn't helped me miss it the first time around. :D I'll likely jury-rig something for an immediate, temporary solution and look into investing in a better tripod in the future. I've sunk my money into other camera gear and never paid any mind to my poor tripod. Guess you can't overlook anything in this hobby. mwink.gif
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    Nope, you can't. Now, we are on page 2 & still haven't thrown the de-rigeur link? Here it is: http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

I'll second Art's suggestion for Giottos. I am very happy with the one I am using (with a RRS head on top).
  • Options
    VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    I used to do the same, bought nice lenses but always had a crappy tripod.

I made the investment and realized it should have been the first thing I invested in.

I find myself using my tripod more nad more now. I didn't spend a fortune. I got a Acratech ballhead and a god set of aluminum legs (i like aluminum for the weight). Its great taking shots now.
  • Options
    rrcolejrrrcolejr Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    None of the 18-200 I have seen have had a t-pod foot or even a place to add ring and foot.....which is way too bad also......I would like to see them on primes from 50 up but realise the size of the lenses has a lot ot do with being able to add a ring and foot.........

My Tokina 70-299 has a t-pod foot on it.
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    In the meantime, if you can't afford a new $500 tripod, I have an idea for you.

Go pick up a monopod from wal-mart (only place i've found this particular monopod so far). It is about 13" when closed and costs $18.88.

The point is, this tripod comes with a V attachment that screws onto the top (where you'd put the camera or head on). What you could do is place the end of the lens on that V (make sure not to put it on a zoom or focus ring).

The camera is attached to the tripod like normal, then the monopod is extended to help support the lens. Pretty handy really. I'll try and remember to do a similar setup tonight and snap a photo of it for you.

PS. this is not a waste of $20. I freakin love this monopod and carry it everywhere. I have tricked it out with a shoulder support and Bogen tilt head and RC2 quick release (built into the head).
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2008
    rrcolejr wrote:
    My Tokina 70-299 has a t-pod foot on it.

But the 18-200 are a very compact lens....I have a Siggy 28-200 and it is a compact lens also...so no tripod foot avail.....I have just been spoiled by my 70-210 with t-pod mount foot....just wish all leens had this option:D

• Options
    edited May 16, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    In the meantime, if you can't afford a new $500 tripod, I have an idea for you.

Go pick up a monopod from wal-mart (only place i've found this particular monopod so far). It is about 13" when closed and costs $18.88.

The point is, this tripod comes with a V attachment that screws onto the top (where you'd put the camera or head on). What you could do is place the end of the lens on that V (make sure not to put it on a zoom or focus ring).

The camera is attached to the tripod like normal, then the monopod is extended to help support the lens. Pretty handy really. I'll try and remember to do a similar setup tonight and snap a photo of it for you.

PS. this is not a waste of $20. I freakin love this monopod and carry it everywhere. I have tricked it out with a shoulder support and Bogen tilt head and RC2 quick release (built into the head).

This mono pod is designed to double as a shooting stick for big game gun hunters.....that is the reason for the "V" notched attachment:D
    I agree this can be a great short term fix it as long as you do not need to pan the head or tilt up or down........

I also own the Giottos P-POD....a mono pod that has 3feet stored in the very bottom and in a pinch can be used as a tripod or microphone stand......any way it is very versatile and I find I carry both my t-pode and monopod [p-pod] together...never leave home without them.......always in my car trunk....always....................

jerry riggin' is fine for an emergency fix......but too ofter it becomes the normal way of life and then a diaster strikes and we loose a costly piece of glass at the worst time........right in the middle of a shoot.

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:

I also own the Giottos P-POD....a mono pod that has 3feet stored in the very bottom and in a pinch can be used as a tripod or microphone stand......any way it is very versatile and I find I carry both my t-pode and monopod [p-pod] together...never leave home without them.......always in my car trunk....always....................

jerry riggin' is fine for an emergency fix......but too ofter it becomes the normal way of life and then a diaster strikes and we loose a costly piece of glass at the worst time........right in the middle of a shoot.

You are correct about the riggin' for sure. Just that not everyone always has $500 for something they need, even if they really need it.

About the Giottos, those are nice. I am planning on getting a similar Bogen model that also has a fluid "head" in the base for panning. Of course, $150+ is a lot different than $20. Also, like I was saying the $20 monopod temp-fix isn't wasted - I use mine a lot (not in this way, but for sports and other things).
    ~ Lisa