Options

Photoshop or Aperture ?

tryin'tryin' Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited May 4, 2008 in Finishing School
I am saving for Photoshop ... but keep coming across great reviews for Aperture (I am using a Mac OS X). Obviously Photoshop is considerably more expensive ... do you get what you pay for??

Something I particularly want to be able to do is sharpened a particular area - eg. just sharpen the eyes and apply some sort of 'softening' to the rest. Is this something you can do with both? or either?

I may need some friendly help when I get it. I have been using Corel Photo, and know I don't use every function (don't even understand some!!).

Advise?

Sue

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Have you tried the Lightroom Trial? Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom®

In fact all three have 30 Day trials!

Give them all a whirl and see for yourself.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited May 3, 2008
    Neither Aperture 1.5 nor Lightroom allow selecting only portions of an image for editing - They only allow global editing to the entire image.

If you need to do selections and local sharpening or blurring or contrast changes, Photoshop is where you are headed.

I have not tried the new Aperture 2.0 but I think my comment is still accurate.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Two totally different applications and tools.

Aperture (and Lightroom) are primarily Raw converters with other functionality (database, print module etc). Photoshop is a pixel editor. Raw converters create pixels, Photoshop alters the pixel values of these rendered images. Its like the difference between a screwdriver and a saw.

As for only global editing in Lightroom, certainly not the case with the public beta (2.0 should be out soon) and even in 1.4, there are some selective tools to be exact (clone, red eye).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2008
    Andrew,

Cloning, to me, is not selective editing, its more like tidying upne_nau.gif

I think of selections as referring to sky, or forground, or one persons face. I think of the ability to have a different curve for the subject versus, the background. Or blurring of sharpening only a selected portion of the image. None of these things can be done in Lightroom yet that I know of.

Will Lightroom 2 or Aperture allow these selective edits? - whether by color, shape, pen tool, whatever?

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Neither Aperture 1.5 nor Lightroom allow selecting only portions of an image for editing - They only allow global editing to the entire image.
    I use these selectors almost constantly in photoshop. The more i use them the more i get from them. thumb.gif
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Cloning, to me, is not selective editing, its more like tidying upne_nau.gif

OK
    I think of selections as referring to sky, or forground, or one persons face. I think of the ability to have a different curve for the subject versus, the background. Or blurring of sharpening only a selected portion of the image. None of these things can be done in Lightroom yet that I know of.

Most of what you want to do can be done in the beta (ski versus foreground dodge/burn/sharpen/blur/saturate).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2008
    I will look forward to LR ver 2 then.