Options

Straightening an Image

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited May 3, 2008 in Finishing School
I use Photoshop CS3 and I shoot in raw, Can anyone please tell me what tool to use to straighten an image: ie: a tower or a lamp post etc, or do I have to go to the next page? If so where is the tool on the second page. Oh my goodness I have searched everywhere. Your help would be greatly appreciated once again.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    I use Photoshop CS3 and I shoot in raw, Can anyone please tell me what tool to use to straighten an image: ie: a tower or a lamp post etc, or do I have to go to the next page? If so where is the tool on the second page. Oh my goodness I have searched everywhere. Your help would be greatly appreciated once again.
    Regards
    Bob

Find the ruler tool (might be under the eye dropper tool). Drag out a line with the ruler tool exactly on the edge you want to vertical. Then without choosing anyting else, go to Image/Rotate Canvas/Arbitrary. The exact amount to rotate your image to make the ruler line be vertical will be preloaded into that dialog. Hit OK and it will be rotated to be vertical. You will then have to crop as desired.

This is even faster in Lightroom or Camera RAW where you just hit the straighten tool, drag onto your line and everything is automatically rotated and cropped.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    This is even faster in Lightroom or Camera RAW where you just hit the straighten tool, drag onto your line and everything is automatically rotated and cropped.

And I would almost always prefer doing it in Camera Raw or Lightroom, because if at any time in the future you need to go back and change the rotation or cropping, it's nondestructive so you can always change the crop from the original data but without having to start over with the other corrections.

The problem with rotating/cropping in Photoshop is that you permanently alter the pixels and can't really go back without throwing out corrections/retouching/sharpening etc.
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    And I would almost always prefer doing it in Camera Raw or Lightroom, because if at any time in the future you need to go back and change the rotation or cropping, it's nondestructive so you can always change the crop from the original data but without having to start over with the other corrections.

The problem with rotating/cropping in Photoshop is that you permanently alter the pixels and can't really go back without throwing out corrections/retouching/sharpening etc.

Hi John and Colourbox,
    Thanks ever so much for your replies. Yes I do find it much easier in Lightroom. I must admit I found it quite difficult in CS3. Anyhow, once again you have solved my problem which I truly appreciate.
    Regards
    Bob