Options

Folder Full

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited May 4, 2008 in Cameras
Today I had a funny experience. I use a 40d and I attached a 10-22 canon lens and when I tried to shoot, in the display it read "Folder Full" and it would not shoot. I switched it off and tried again and the same happened. I tried several times and the same occurred. I then tried a 17-85 canon and it worked perfectly. I took several shots and tried the 10-22 again and it worked perfectly and has done ever since. Can anyone tell me what went wrong momentarily, and to show in the viewer "Folder Full"
Regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited May 4, 2008
    "Folder Number Full" is a message from the camera that the image card has used up to folder number 999. You would need to reset the counter by performing a Manual Reset.

If the card is full you should see a "Full CF" message and you would have to insert a formatted card with some spare capacity to continue.

I do not find that the the camera will produce a "Folder Full" message, so probably it was the "Folder Number Full" message.

Here is a link to the user manual:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Owners-Manuals/Canon-EOS-40D-Manual.pdf

Take a look at page 73.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    "Folder Number Full" is a message from the camera that the image card has used up to folder number 999. You would need to reset the counter by performing a Manual Reset.

If the card is full you should see a "Full CF" message and you would have to insert a formatted card with some spare capacity to continue.

I do not find that the the camera will produce a "Folder Full" message, so probably it was the "Folder Number Full" message.

Here is a link to the user manual:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Owners-Manuals/Canon-EOS-40D-Manual.pdf

Take a look at page 73.

Hi Ziggy,
    Thanks once again for your help. I have read page 73 and you are quite right in what you say that is what the problem has been. To re-format the card do I just remove the card and then replace it, will that re-format it or do I have to do something else?
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Hi Ziggy,
    Thanks once again for your help. I have read page 73 and you are quite right in what you say that is what the problem has been. To re-format the card do I just remove the card and then replace it, will that re-format it or do I have to do something else?
    Regards
    Bob
    Bob...its all in the instruction manual. You can & should reformat the CF card in the camera itself.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Bob...its all in the instruction manual. You can & should reformat the CF card in the camera itself.

Yes you are right Gus I am looking through the manual now. The thing was Gus as soon as I changed lenses the camera functioned normally and when I returned to the original lens the 10-22 it continued to work ok. Do you think the camera automatically reformatted itself?
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Yes you are right Gus I am looking through the manual now. The thing was Gus as soon as I changed lenses the camera functioned normally and when I returned to the original lens the 10-22 it continued to work ok. Do you think the camera automatically reformatted itself?
    Regards
    Bob
    No i seriously doubt it...it needs you to set the camera to format the card in the cameras menu.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2008
    gus wrote:
    No i seriously doubt it...it needs you to set the camera to format the card in the cameras menu.

Yes Gus,
    I have done it. However, the bar was only half full. Anyhow, I have cleared it. So hopefully that will have done the trick. Thanks a lot for your kind help once again.
    Regards
    Bob