Options

Changing to B&W with Color

gwendolyngwendolyn Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited May 4, 2008 in Finishing School
I'm using lightroom. Is there an "easy" way to change a photo to black and white, but leave some color. For example I would like to leave a flower pink, but the rest black and white.

I know there is a way to do it in Elements, but I haven't had good luck doing it. The book I have tells me that I have to "paint" part of the picture I want color in. :scratch

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Not with 1.4.1. Though you are not going to greyscale format, so you can try Greyscale with Split Tone and depending on the image maybe get some of what you want.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited May 4, 2008
    Most of these images are done in Photoshop - conversion to B&W on a layer above the background layer.

The History brush is then used to paint the color back into the desired area. Easy Peasy. I am not sure whether this can be done in Lightroom or another global editor.

It may be coming in Lightroom Beta Version 2 - A Rodney has hinted that selective edits will be available, but I have not tried the beta version yet.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    I dont think you can do selective coloring B&W in current LR, but there's something that you can play around in LR, on the Saturation, just desaturate all 8 colors, and play around with one color, you might get some result that you might like, it works if your choice of color is exclusively belongs to the object that you want to colorize.

Here's my example, it might works for your flower.

271749869_mNR7r-S.jpg