Options

Sony HDR-HC1

BrascoleBrascole Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited May 5, 2008 in Video
Not a question and maybe this should be posted on the Flea Market. Looking for advise.

I purchased this HDV camcorder with all the accessories when it first came out, total $2600. I have tried to sell it but have had no success. Bought it for my daughters graduation and the camcorder has 45 minutes of record time with a MAC warranty still in effect. The HC3 and even on up to Sony's latest still does not compare to the HC1 but of course prices have gone way down on the newer prosummer HDV camcorders.

I advertised it for $1100 and left room for negotiations. Yet no one has made a serious offer. Is it that HDV in terms of upgrading a persons computer hardware and software is the limiting factor?

Any thoughts?

thxs

http://www.pbase.com/image/82461140/medium.jpg[/IMG]

Comments

• Options
    scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    I think your price is too high. When you say all accessories, what do you mean exactly? I bought this camera in March of 2006 for about $1400 and sold it about a year later for $800.

One problem with this camera is that most consumers don't really appreciate all of the semi-pro features that are included. People can buy a Canon HV20, which arguably gives better picture quality for $650 (speaking from personal experience here). It has just been replaced by the Canon HV30, which now goes for $999.

Look on ebay and look at the completed auctions. Most cameras go for between $700-800 and those with tons of extras get a bit more. You could just post it there and see what happens. I'd suggest no reserve, 10-day auction, $0.99 starting price and let the market decide. This will get tons of bidders.

Another thing to try is to place your ad somewhere where the people understand what it is. Like here:

http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/

Good luck,
    Scott
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    BrascoleBrascole Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    scwalter wrote:
    I think your price is too high. When you say all accessories, what do you mean exactly? I bought this camera in March of 2006 for about $1400 and sold it about a year later for $800.

One problem with this camera is that most consumers don't really appreciate all of the semi-pro features that are included. People can buy a Canon HV20, which arguably gives better picture quality for $650 (speaking from personal experience here). It has just been replaced by the Canon HV30, which now goes for $999.

Look on ebay and look at the completed auctions. Most cameras go for between $700-800 and those with tons of extras get a bit more. You could just post it there and see what happens. I'd suggest no reserve, 10-day auction, $0.99 starting price and let the market decide. This will get tons of bidders.

Another thing to try is to place your ad somewhere where the people understand what it is. Like here:

http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/

Good luck,
    Scott

all sony-the "high grade" wide/tele lenses, 10/20 video light, surround mic, three batts, remote tripod, etc. etc. etc. yes the camcorder is worth $500-600 (orig 1500) but the accessories alone were $1100 so $1000 is a steal the way I see it. i belong to that forum, and did get a buyer but that fell apart because he decided to sell the ikelite uw housing that he had purchased for the hc1 that was stolen. as far as the hc1 it was a ground breaking hdv for the prosumer. canon's ok but sony does hdv right.

thxs for the response
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    Brascole wrote:
    all sony-the "high grade" wide/tele lenses, 10/20 video light, surround mic, three batts, remote tripod, etc. etc. etc. yes the camcorder is worth $500-600 (orig 1500) but the accessories alone were $1100 so $1000 is a steal the way I see it. i belong to that forum, and did get a buyer but that fell apart because he decided to sell the ikelite uw housing that he had purchased for the hc1 that was stolen. as far as the hc1 it was a ground breaking hdv for the prosumer. canon's ok but sony does hdv right.

thxs for the response

I agree, the HC1 is awesome. I'm in a similar boat - paid about the same for an HC7 last year (exactly one year ago) with similar accessories, underwater 'sports' housing (the cheap Sony one, not an Ike), extra lenses, etc.

So far just enjoying it, I saw the HC1 at a Sony outlet for $699 last summer, FWIW... I wish mine had the zoom ring!

Do you want to sell any of the accessories?
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist