Options

Which would you recommend?

purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
edited April 23, 2005 in Cameras
Because I've only been a 'photographer' for four months, I still need a little help deciding which Digital camera to buy. Ultimately, price is not a big issue--I will save until I have enough. I suppose I will pay no more than $1200.

I have my eye on two cameras: the Nikon Coolpix 8800 or the Canon EOS- Digital Rebel. They are both the same price at Bestchoicedigital.com, but which should I choose? If you think there is a better camera out there for me, PLEASE say so!

Here are there specifications:

Canon EOS-Digital Rebel:
http://www.bestchoicedigital.com/store/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=839935116328399&Store_id=101&page_id=23&Item_ID=2858

Nikon Coolpix 8800:
http://www.bestchoicedigital.com/store/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=839935116328399&Store_id=101&page_id=23&Item_ID=3392

Also, I noticed that bestchoicedigital.com sells their cameras half the price than any other place. For example, the Nikon Coolplix 8800 is $1000 anywhere else but only $499 at bestchoicedigital. Should I buy from them?
Purified Photography
Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2005
    purified wrote:
    Because I've only been a 'photographer' for four months, I still need a little help deciding which Digital camera to buy. Ultimately, price is not a big issue--I will save until I have enough. I suppose I will pay no more than $1200.

I have my eye on two cameras: the Nikon Coolpix 8800 or the Canon EOS- Digital Rebel. They are both the same price at Bestchoicedigital.com, but which should I choose? If you think there is a better camera out there for me, PLEASE say so!

Here are there specifications:

Canon EOS-Digital Rebel:
    http://www.bestchoicedigital.com/store/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=839935116328399&Store_id=101&page_id=23&Item_ID=2858

Nikon Coolpix 8800:
    http://www.bestchoicedigital.com/store/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=839935116328399&Store_id=101&page_id=23&Item_ID=3392

Also, I noticed that bestchoicedigital.com sells their cameras half the price than any other place. For example, the Nikon Coolplix 8800 is $1000 anywhere else but only $499 at bestchoicedigital. Should I buy from them?
    You know the old worn out story, "If it sounds too good to be true......."

Check here Best Choice Digital Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings

I wouldn't order anything here with your credit card.

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2005
    Thanks, I was actually trying to find reviews and I couldn't find any. I will most definitely NOT buy from them.

But what about the cameras themselves?
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2005
    I would say save up an extra $300 or so and get a 20D. I was going to get a Digital Rebel, but I decided that I would be happier in the long run if I got the 20D with more features. I got my 20D for $1500 at Costco.com with the 18-55 kit lens.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2005
    Hi Kelly,

Before I say anything else listen this if nothing else.

STAY AWAY FROM
    BESTCHOICEDIGITAL

They are a classic rip off operation. They are selling the camera body only for $499. You can get the Rebel from B&H for 889.95 with the 18-55 kit lens. Bestchoice will charge you 499 for the body, $119 for the battery and $199 for the battery charger (all of which is included normally) and then try to stick you with a crappy Titanium lens for another few hundred. You will end up paying more to them and getting less.

Now as to whats the better camera. The Rebel is clearly the "better" camera but is it the better camera for you? That's a question only you can answer. The Rebel will cost you more $ as you add lenses, etc. You will have to do more post processing (especially if you shoot in RAW). It will take better pictures but wil require more $ and time from you.

The Coolpix, or the Sony 828, or any one of the other 8MP fixed lens cameras will let you take great pics cameras, are easier to carry around, and will cost less $ in the end but they can't be upgraded and don't have the same potential as the Rebel. Being a Nikon shooter I'm obligated (Its a code) to tell you to consider the D70 also:D

What kind of pictures do you want to take? Where do you want to go with photography?
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    thollawathollawa Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2005
    I just ran across this tonight.

Canon 20D and EF-S 18-55mm Kit with US Warranty for $1339.09 with free shipping from Buydig.com.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNEOS20D1855

If you don't want this lens, which I don't, the going rate on Ebay for it is about $60 USD.

For $139.09 extra dollars I'd think this would be a very good way to go.

-Todd
    Canon 50D | 24-70 2.8L USM | 70-200 2.8L IS USM
    ToodHollawayPhotography.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2005
    Kelly,

If you're going to get SLR, get the 20D. It's not much more expensive, but is so much better. Really.

However, IMO you should not get an SLR. It's an expensive proposition. You will end up spending, or wanting to spend, so much more than the camera costs. It's really a very slippery slope, and one that I only recommend you pursue if you have a) wealthy parents, or b) a good job and lots of disposable income.

There are plenty of good cameras, and you've already proven with the pictures you've taken already, it's not the camera. I'm not sure what you have, but it's a point and shoot, right? Look at the quality of picture your'e getting with it. Pretty darn good.

Before I went to SLR I had a Canon G5, which is now a Gsomething-larger-than-5. Nice camera.

Check out sights like The Imaging Resource, which has recommendations, and also a questionnaire to fill out that will help you to select the camera that's right for you. Here's that site's picks for cameras for photo students.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2005
    thollawa wrote:
    I just ran across this tonight.

Canon 20D and EF-S 18-55mm Kit with US Warranty for $1339.09 with free shipping from Buydig.com.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNEOS20D1855

If you don't want this lens, which I don't, the going rate on Ebay for it is about $60 USD.

For $139.09 extra dollars I'd think this would be a very good way to go.

-Todd

I bought mine from buydig.com, and had good luck with them.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2005
    Right now I am using a Canon Powershot95 (5.0 mp). Technically the camera is not mine so I definitely need to buy a camera of my own, and a better one at that.

I took that survey for finding the best camera for me, and ironically my results was one of my original choices: Nikon Coolpix 8800.

I am leaning more toward this one, especially because a family member works at Best Buy, and I can get a discount of about $200 off the original price. But the Canon 20D sounds so nice, but it also is more expensive, and being only 16 it would take me a few months to save up for that one.

I'm seriously thinking of pursuing some sort of profession in photography. So perhaps the Canon 20D is the way to go in the long run. Next year I am taking a college photography course, so I do want a very nice camera. :)

The Sony 828 was another choice of mine, but I saw a lot more negative reviews on it... it is prone to getting purple fringe.
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 25, 2005
    Purified - I am going to make an alternative suggestion - the new Canon Rebel 350 XT which is the replacement for the Digital Rebel 300D. The 350 Xt is getting good reviews. Snapapple recently recieved hers and I am sure would be happy to answer any questions about it. Her thread is here http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=8559

The Nikon 8800 is a very nice P&S - I looked at it for quite a while as a walk around camera, but it still suffers from shutter-lag - the delay between when your press the shutter and the camera takes the picture. For me this is a deal killer in itself.

TML is right that a DSLR is just the beginning of the expenses.. New computers, Photoshop, new lenses, etc etc. But the 350XT sounds like a pretty nice camera and I think it meets your price requirements and will be serviceable for a long time.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Purified - I am going to make an alternative suggestion - the new Canon Rebel 350 XT which is the replacement for the Digital Rebel 300D. The 350 Xt is getting good reviews. Snapapple recently recieved hers and I am sure would be happy to answer any questions about it. Her thread is here http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=8559

The Nikon 8800 is a very nice P&S - I looked at it for quite a while as a walk around camera, but it still suffers from shutter-lag - the delay between when your press the shutter and the camera takes the picture. For me this is a deal killer in itself.

TML is right that a DSLR is just the beginning of the expenses.. New computers, Photoshop, new lenses, etc etc. But the 350XT sounds like a pretty nice camera and I think it meets your price requirements and will be serviceable for a long time.

DSLRs really are so nice. It's so frustrating now to go back to P&S cameras.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:

I think I may go with your reccommendation. I saw that post earlier and looked it up right away. But I was so taken with the deal I could have gotten with the Nikon 8800... but I think paying $400 more than I could have gotten for the Nikon is worth the Digital Rebel.

Now I must vow not spend one penny of my paychecks until I have enough. If only the parents would pitch in, but apparently I'm too young to have such a good camera on their dime. ne_nau.gif It's never too early if you're serious!

When I get this camera I think my life will finally be complete. clap.gif
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    purified wrote:
    But the Canon 20D sounds so nice, but it also is more expensive, and being only 16 it would take me a few months to save up for that one.
    I'm 16 too. Don't let that hold you back. I waited and saved up for the 20D and it was well worth it. I would probably suggest going to a camera shop that has all of those cameras that you have on your list. Hold them, try them, drool over them, and find out what you like best.yelrotflmao.gif
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    I shoot with a 20D also, I its a great camera. I don't think you can go wrong with going with the 20D
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    Well kelly we have seen your stuff. You have great ability...far more than your age lets on.

IMO you need a minimum of a DSLR...personally i think you may outgrow the 300 quite quickly. The 350 has good specs but the 20D is like eating chocolate on the hood of a car in the bush at night whilst stargazing & listening to francesca gagnon.

:uhoh Hey ...it works for me ..ok
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Well kelly we have seen your stuff. You have great ability...far more than your age lets on.

IMO you need a minimum of a DSLR...personally i think you may outgrow the 300 quite quickly. The 350 has good specs but the 20D is like eating chocolate on the hood of a car in the bush at night whilst stargazing & listening to francesca gagnon.

:uhoh Hey ...it works for me ..ok
    Well if that's true than I really CAN'T pass this camera up! thumb.gif Thanks!
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    Kelly
    Sony 717 828
    Great ps cameras with manual controls for the creative shots thumb.gif
    Not as much post

Fred
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2005
    purified wrote:
    When I get this camera I think my life will finally be complete. clap.gif

Aside from the fact that material objects can never make our lives complete....

don't forget about lenses, flashes, tripod...the camera in this case is just the tip of the iceberg.

If you're going to go DSLR, get the 20D. I had the Rebel (not the XT) and the 20D is so so so so so so much better.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2005
    Kelly,

What's up with your camera search?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2005
    Yep, I'll second the 350D as an option (and a couple others)!
    Hi Kelly,

A good site for researching digital cameras is Dpreview (http://dpreview.com) and all the cameras you've mentioned are given thorough reviews there. I just bought a Canon Digital Rebel XT (aka the 350D) and I can tell you it's a bargain compared to the 20D and the image quality is so close to the 20D, you'd need sophisticated scientific instruments to be able to measure any differences between them. However, you will be spending more money in the long run on extra lenses (I've already bought two and I only just got the camera!) so that's something to consider. If you opt for the Drebel XT, I'd recommend getting the "deluxe" kit with the 17-85 USM IS (Image Stabilized) lens. The standard kit lens is really inexpensive...and it shows!

According to lots of Dgrinners, B&H and Adorama are reputable online merchants, though I got my XT at a regular camera store (Boots Cameras) because I like the idea of having a specific place to go if I have a problem with it. Best Buy has the Rebel XT also, but only with the kit lens which I was disappointed with. I ended up returning the first camera I bought to trade up to the deluxe kit with the better lens. However, a lot of people have had great luck with the standard kit lens...I think mine was a lemon.

Anyhow, I can also vouch for the Sony F828 as a great all in one camera (it's the one I've been using up to now) and the Nikon 8800 would also probably more than meet your needs for now. They both have macro and good zoom range, whereas with a dslr, you'll need to buy extra lenses to get the same macro to telephoto range. Considering your current situation, an all in one (otherwise know as a "point & shoot") might be the best bet for you~

Hope this helps!
    ~Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~