Options

Custom White Balance- D300?

rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
edited March 18, 2010 in The Big Picture
So I went to an Ed Pierce seminar last night and ended up buying one of his targets. Now I need to learn how to use my histogram. I've been reading the manual but it doesn't cover how to preset the target photo for all my other photos.

let me break down the steps necessary to making this work.

aim at target (white, grey, black)
take photo of target
look at histogram
all 3 spikes should be about the same
Use picture as base for other photos

Ok so I'm not sure how to do this on my D300. I can get as far as looking at the histogram but I don't know how to preset it to be the base for all my other photos. please help.

He covered this very well with his Canon 5D but never mentioned anything about any other cameras.

Comments

• Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    rsparts wrote:
    So I went to an Ed Pierce seminar last night and ended up buying one of his targets. Now I need to learn how to use my histogram. I've been reading the manual but it doesn't cover how to preset the target photo for all my other photos.

let me break down the steps necessary to making this work.

aim at target (white, grey, black)
    take photo of target
    look at histogram
    all 3 spikes should be about the same
    Use picture as base for other photos

Ok so I'm not sure how to do this on my D300. I can get as far as looking at the histogram but I don't know how to preset it to be the base for all my other photos. please help.

He covered this very well with his Canon 5D but never mentioned anything about any other cameras.

To do it the way that you describe, you need to use the "K" settting for white balance. It's in the User's Manual on page 129 and 135.

However the D300 can do the work for you if you use the "Pre" (Preset) manual white balance feature, as explained on page 136 of the User's Manual.

Regards,
    Mike
  • Options
    rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    Tanuki wrote:
    To do it the way that you describe, you need to use the "K" settting for white balance. It's in the User's Manual on page 129 and 135.

However the D300 can do the work for you if you use the "Pre" (Preset) manual white balance feature, as explained on page 136 of the User's Manual.

Regards,
    Mike

edit: thanks much...I got it now...i must have missed that. thanks for the help!
  • Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    rsparts wrote:
    edit: thanks much...I got it now...i must have missed that. thanks for the help!

Good luck. If you have any trouble following the procedure in the User's Manual, put up another post and we'll see if we can't work through it.
  • Options
    InFocus_ProInFocus_Pro Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 18, 2010
    Tanuki wrote:

Regards,
    Mike

HI, I myself shoot with a D300 and D200 and also have purchased the De pierce Digital target. I tried to follow the user manual but can't seem to understand how this would work. Can someone post a step by step on how to properly do this, maybe im missing something!

Thank you!