Options

another wedding at wolf lakes park

kwaichikwaichi Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited May 6, 2008 in Weddings
I took these photos at wolf lakes for the florist I know. Let me know what you think!

IMG_3753new.jpg

IMG_3755new.jpg

IMG_3826new.jpg

IMG_3950new.jpg

IMG_3967new.jpg

IMG_3982new.jpg

IMG_3998new.jpg

IMG_4016new.jpg

IMG_4021new.jpg

IMG_4033new.jpg

IMG_4070new.jpg

IMG_4079new.jpg

IMG_4084new.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    plz do not take these comments as insult but rather as growing oportunity. i take time to comment so to share my view:

Given the fact that these shots were made for a flowerist, i think you missed the mark a bit. This applies especially for the focus. In the first two shots (where the flowers are the primary or secondary subject) the focus is off, leaving the viewers eye to come to a grinding halt at a out of focus blur of a flowerpiece. IMO if the flowers are the subject, you should make them the subject by keeping them in focus and leading into the rest of the image.

The rest of the photos are very centered (think about your composition) and IMO dont highlight the flowerpieces because the focus (of the camera and the focus of the composition) is on the B&G and the guests.

#12 is nice, because you can see the flowerpiece nicely and it occupies a fair ammount of the frame. but unfortunatly she walks out of the frame, making for a less than desireable composition. :cry

all in all i think

- your exposures are off; some have overexposed areas, some are bland, some too contrasty (a fill flash could fix that)
    - your compositions are off; read into the rule of thirds and try to frame an object/sunject in its surrounding as to tell a story instead of centering it and making it a static display. also try to fill more of the frame with the subject/object, this should give the viewers more viewing pleasure mwink.gif
    - your focus is off, should be on your main subject most of the time *(creative use not accounted for of course)

do not be discouraged by this, composition is something that is fun to experiment with and a lot of technical mistakes can be corrected afterwards with photoshop. most importantly i think you should work on focussing the subject through good composition wings.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    kwaichikwaichi Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    thanks for your comments......some of these photos were cropped so they were a little burry..i wasn't planning on shooting people so I only had the 24-105L with me and I was quite far away. I will take your suggestions and try it next time.

Ed
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    Welcome to the forum! Weddings are tough, aren't they? It appears you may have been quite far away judging the quality of the photos. The 24-105L is a super lens and takes very sharp photos. Almost all of these could have benefited from less depth of field, especially if you were attempting to make the flowers the focal point for the florist. You were shooting on auto-exposure which gave you an F-stop of 8 most of the time. That also gave you shots with the background pretty much in focus. Learning to shoot on manual is ideal, but if you are not ready to make that jump, switch to aperture priority where you can achieve a shallower depth of field and throw uninteresting backgrounds out of focus. Your shots will improve ten-fold. You have a great lens and you will see a huge difference opening up that lens. (Being able to move in closer helps, too, of course, but we don't always have that option! :D ) You did get some nice moments, just wish you could have been closer!