Options

Hotels Rooms in NYC "Sticker Shock" any advise?

WaynesworldphotographyWaynesworldphotography Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
My son and I will be going to NYC May 15th - May 18 to shoot photography. Times Square at night and over to the Brooklyn Bridge. We are just in sticker shock at what hotels room cost there. Everything in a safe area is way over $300.00 per night.. "What a Rip".....any suggestions ? or any suggestion on shoot pics in NYC would be helpful..
Many Thanks !
Roger

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Can't think of a time where is wasn't priced like that...its Manhattan.

If you really must save $$, then you can not stay downtown. Stay out at Kennedy Airport, it is much cheaper. Call to make sure they have a shuttle to the airport, or even better to Jamaica Station. The train will take you right into Manhattan in a few minutes.

From JFK, take the Airtrain, which is NOT behind security, so you can take it without checking in etc. See this: http://www.panynj.gov/Airtrain/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    My son and I will be going to NYC May 15th - May 18 to shoot photography. Times Square at night and over to the Brooklyn Bridge. We are just in sticker shock at what hotels room cost there. Everything in a safe area is way over $300.00 per night.. "What a Rip".....any suggestions ? or any suggestion on shoot pics in NYC would be helpful..
    Many Thanks !
    Roger
    A rip?? Don't flame NYC. LA: 300+ Chicago: 300+ C'mon this isn't a NYC only thing. If you want to flame inflation, fine, but don't blame my city k thx bye lol3.gif
  • Options
    WaynesworldphotographyWaynesworldphotography Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    thanks !!
    Thanks for the info.. AS you can tell I have never stayed there overnight..Thanks again .. I will be looking at the hotels in the JFK area

Roger
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2008
    Andy !!
    clap.gif
    Andy wrote:
    A rip?? Don't flame NYC. LA: 300+ Chicago: 300+ C'mon this isn't a NYC only thing. If you want to flame inflation, fine, but don't blame my city k thx bye lol3.gif

Andy !!!! Sooooooorrrrryyyyy !! :)))) NYC is # 1 !!
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    How savvy do you feel with public transit? I travel to NYC on biz a bit and about 50% of the time I stay in NJ and then take a train in to NYC. Last time I stayed at the Sheraton Newark Airport I think and then took the Airtrain into NYC. It has been a little while so I would have to dig up my notes but I think you get the idea.

In terms of pricing, they charge what the market will bear... it is quite eye opening to pay $189 for a Hampton Inn at San Francisco Airport for one night.

Also what I have done for my personal travel is use all the points I have accumulated with frequent stayer programs to get a free room. Those rates do not escalate at the same rate.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    jenniferjennifer Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    I just paid $134 at the Hilton Newark Penn Station last weekend to avoid the rates in NYC. It's a very nice hotel attached to Penn Station so you don't even have to venture out into the New Jersey air. It's about a 20-minute ride on the PATH train from WTC station. If you leave from NY Penn Station it's a bit longer, but as an added bonus you get a free stop in Hoboken on weekends! clap.gif
    40D, 10-22, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 75-300 IS, 1.4x TC
  • Options
    cpagilitycpagility Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Nyc
    I was in NYC last October and stayed just off Time Square at the Casablanca Hotel. I highly recommend it. It is on the expensive side but not expensive for NYC. They were great when I lost my new Gitzo Tripod ($600) and were all set to buy me a new one. It ends up I left it in a cab and after much panic and searching at the hotel they figured they gave it to the wrong customer while they were holding our luggage. They had an employee headed to B & H to buy a replacement and then bring it to Grand Central Station at 9:30am where I was to meet Andy for a day of shooting in the city. Several times through the night I contacted the police and tried to contact the cabbie to see if I'd left it in the cab because I didn't remember it getting into the cab when we were changing hotels. Turns out the next morning there is a note from the cabbie on the banister of the brownstone we were staying at saying "If you lost Gitzo go to the 17th Precinct". Well we did and it was there! I called the hotel and stopped their guy from buying me a replacement just in time. He was on his way to B&H.

Great service from a great hotel within steps to Time Square. Super FREE wine and cheese every evening and a very nice breakfast.

I would definitely go there again.

Have fun!
  • Options
    PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Many Thanks !
    Roger

Try Hotwire, they have good hotels at competitive prices.......
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    My wife and I just stayed at the Best Western Seaport, under the Brooklyn Bridge. It was about $290 a night and walking distance to some great night shots of the Brooklyn Bridge. ;)
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Miles
    You can join the Intercontinental Ambassador's Club for $150 and it comes with a free night - just not on a Saturday; It works in NYC;

Check the hotel websites for specials. You would be surprised at some of them. I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria for $129 about a year ago and I joined the Hilton Hhonors Club so I got upgraded on top of that! Oh - we got breakfast too at Oscars which is a buffet for $29 included.

There are some hotels on Manhattan that are not $300 a night - check Hotels.com. Friends of mine stayed at a Clarion Inn near the Flatiron District for about $149. Also recently stayed at the Pennsylvania - hotel needed some upgrading but I remember the rate was $150ish.

Try BiddingforTravel.com or Priceline.com - both have spots in Manhattan for less.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    Friends of mine stayed at The Pod, it's quirky but cheap and there's an Irish bar around the corner rolleyes1.gif

I visited NY in November 2006 and stayed in The Hamilton Park. The room was $120 a night and the hotel have a shuttle to the train which takes an hour to get into Manhattan. The hotel staff were very friendly.