Options

do you ask?

rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
edited May 7, 2008 in The Big Picture
I was just wondering, because it's come up more than a few times lately, how many photographers ask to take someone's photograph. I don't mean asking them to be a model, I mean while you're walking around downtown or wherever you happen to be at the time and you see a scene that you feel would make an interesting photo - the only thing is, the people in this particular photo op seem to really make the picture.

Do you walk up and introduce yourself and then ask politely to take the picture or do you drop to one knee and snap away? I am, by nature, a relatively shy person so I never know what to do in situations like that.

Comments

• Options
    CassisPCassisP Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    oh I am the same way, I am always trying to look inconspicuous, but with my camera that is impossible. so I try and avoid taking pictures when people are looking..... lol rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2008
    im actually curious to know what most of you do in this situation. I don't know what is common place so let me know what your personal practice is.
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    I know a few people who shoot street shots. Some ask, some don't.
    You don't technically have to ask if they're on public space, IIRC.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    rsparts wrote:
    I am, by nature, a relatively shy person so I never know what to do in situations like that.

I too am a shy (introverted) person by nature......but with camera in hand that seems to change......or if I am meeting a few people for a shootout....if I study a person and see that I like their image enuff to want to take it....I will ask and if I am turned down ( but they hesitate by giving it a moment or 2 of thought)....I will give them a b-card and ask them to reconsider and maybe offer a free 8x10 for their trouble......like now I am needing to re-vive my very old portfolio of people photos (mine are very dated '70's and 80's clothg and hair styles and I haven't shot pro in many years.....NOW that my time has come to return to the arena of PRO photgraphy I am in need of images.....so I will ask if I may take an image of a person.....if they are homeless I will offer some food after the shoot (if I am carrying some fruit I will give that IF not I offer to take to some place for a meal....but never give money as this will spread like wildfire and then you have undesirables accosting you to take their photo for money....not good)........
    Most people can tell you are shy in the way you ask and I will say that being a photographer has helped me overcome a lot of my shyness in being able to speak with strangers or to the public at large......I still get butterflies and also have sweat dripping from my brow but I can now speak even to large groups...just need a good very absorbent cloth to mop the brow with...:D

Now that I have rambled on for a bit .......

It also depends on the scene and people in it....will it be over if you stop them ask permission, are they going to be truly identifiable,......if you are going topping and asking I would shoot then ask and if they are not truly identifiable I again shoot away.....I have in the past encountered a couple of situations where someone said that is my friend did they know you took this....my response was....well lets see an average person with dark hair (or blonde or whatever) in clothes that can be purchased at any Wally world....I can't see how you can identify this as your friend.....well they were supposed to be at that event.....supposed to be....but you have no proof that they were there.....sorry but without positive proof I won't stop showing the photo......never to hear another word about it...I am always nice to people never demeaning or mean...cause you never know whom you are talking to and have actually have gotten work from these people......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 7, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    I too am a shy (introverted) person by nature......but with camera in hand that seems to change......or if I am meeting a few people for a shootout....if I study a person and see that I like their image enuff to want to take it....I will ask and if I am turned down ( but they hesitate by giving it a moment or 2 of thought)....I will give them a b-card and ask them to reconsider and maybe offer a free 8x10 for their trouble......like now I am needing to re-vive my very old portfolio of people photos (mine are very dated '70's and 80's clothg and hair styles and I haven't shot pro in many years.....NOW that my time has come to return to the arena of PRO photgraphy I am in need of images.....so I will ask if I may take an image of a person.....if they are homeless I will offer some food after the shoot (if I am carrying some fruit I will give that IF not I offer to take to some place for a meal....but never give money as this will spread like wildfire and then you have undesirables accosting you to take their photo for money....not good)........
    Most people can tell you are shy in the way you ask and I will say that being a photographer has helped me overcome a lot of my shyness in being able to speak with strangers or to the public at large......I still get butterflies and also have sweat dripping from my brow but I can now speak even to large groups...just need a good very absorbent cloth to mop the brow with...:D

Now that I have rambled on for a bit .......

It also depends on the scene and people in it....will it be over if you stop them ask permission, are they going to be truly identifiable,......if you are going topping and asking I would shoot then ask and if they are not truly identifiable I again shoot away.....I have in the past encountered a couple of situations where someone said that is my friend did they know you took this....my response was....well lets see an average person with dark hair (or blonde or whatever) in clothes that can be purchased at any Wally world....I can't see how you can identify this as your friend.....well they were supposed to be at that event.....supposed to be....but you have no proof that they were there.....sorry but without positive proof I won't stop showing the photo......never to hear another word about it...I am always nice to people never demeaning or mean...cause you never know whom you are talking to and have actually have gotten work from these people......

I've been wanting to photograph a few homeless people around the city. one of them lives over by the tattoo shop where I get my work done and I've often thought of going over with a sandwich and asking if I could photograph him. thing is, I'm a small guy - I am not intimidating and my camera is very expensive...i may wait until i'm with someone else before approaching him.