Options

What lens to use for this photo contest ? please help !

WaynesworldphotographyWaynesworldphotography Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited May 12, 2008 in Cameras
I plan to make an entry in Canon's photo contest of the national parks. Here is the link http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=1326&fromTips=1&ref=39I will be shooting with a Canon 40D. I currently have a 70-200 2.8L I would like to ask any suggestions on what wide lens to rent for this project ? An L series 16-35mm or will a fixed focal length be sharper ? I would thank anyone for any suggestions on what wide lens or wider zoom to use. I will be shooting rivers, creeks, pastures.. etc.. etc.. Thanks Roger

Comments

• Options
    sohotrightnowsohotrightnow Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    The Sigma 10-20mm is a good lens with a low price for the quality you get. Might wanna check that out, and if you are trying to get flowing water shots, might wanna invest in a good Nuetral Density filter. (and anyways it's always good to have one in your backpack) Hope this helps. thumb.gif

Hansel
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    70-200
    The lens you have is one of the very best in the Canon lineup.
    Unless you have a fixed focal length, I think you could produce a winner with that lens without a doubt.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 7, 2008
    although this is for a contest, this is a gear question... being moved to cameras for proper gear discussion.

thanks thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    EF-S 10-22
    or
    TS-E 45/2.8 deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Since it is a Canon contest, I vote for the EF-S 10-22, for WA anyways. Your 70-200L should be able find a great subject representative of the national park system.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    WaynesworldphotographyWaynesworldphotography Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    thanks
    Many thanks !!
  • Options
    James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    You are in Atlanta. You should meet up with us Saturday at Berry College and you can try out my Canon 10-22mm. You just have to promise to give it back.

http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=73487&page=3
  • Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    obviously, if you want the best lense for a canon contest, shoot with a nikon lense. The judges will see the superior picture quality and wonder how you did it with a canon lense. It will be our little secret. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    obviously, if you want the best lense for a canon contest, shoot with a nikon lense. The judges will see the superior picture quality and wonder how you did it with a canon lense. It will be our little secret. rolleyes1.gif
    Totally.. Just don't make a mistake by shooting with Nikon bodies, they will think you've used last millenium P&S and DQ you on a spot mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Laughing.gif

My unhelpful answer is whatever lens gets you the image you are trying to make. The judges won't really care much what lens was used, just that you used one to create a great image. It could be a 10-22, a 70-200, or even a 500mm. Depends on what you are tying to accomplish. So, I'd reverse the though process and start with what image are you trying to capture? From there the lens choice should be more obvious.

BTW, read the rules carefully. Most contests are simply veiled rights-grabs for freebie stock images. This one has already been debated over on a few fora.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2008
    nikon
    I have both Nikon and Canon and like both names. I have always won with Canon and nothing with NIKON :(((((
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2008
    no offense wanyesworldphotography, but your results are a statisitcal abnormality...an outlier...deal.gif
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    haha
    no offense wanyesworldphotography, but your results are a statisitcal abnormality...an outlier...deal.gif

Boo !!!!
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    Alright, Alright, I apologize. I thought I was engaginging in a fun little enchange where one side pokes a little fun at the other side and the other side come up with a witty retort. I know it is juvenile but the little boy in me sometimes likes a little exchange.ne_nau.gif I bow down to the canon god and offer a burnt offering...bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2008
    Alright, Alright, I apologize. I thought I was engaginging in a fun little enchange where one side pokes a little fun at the other side and the other side come up with a witty retort. I know it is juvenile but the little boy in me sometimes likes a little exchange.ne_nau.gif I bow down to the canon god and offer a burnt offering...bowdown.gif

Yep i Its all good... nothing wrong with having fun... That Nikon D300 just slams my 40D .... Later man !!headscratch.gif
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008

OK, then. um....my Canon can beat up your Nikon! So there! blbl.gif