Options

Flash Bracket

gwendolyngwendolyn Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited May 9, 2008 in Accessories
Can I have your recomandations for a flash bracket. I an serious amature who is dabbeling in weddings and portrait photography.

I did buy the Stroboframe 310-900, (CameraFlip) but I can take it back.

Thanks so much in advance

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    gwendolyn wrote:
    Can I have your recomandations for a flash bracket. I an serious amature who is dabbeling in weddings and portrait photography.

I did buy the Stroboframe 310-900, (CameraFlip) but I can take it back.

Thanks so much in advance

First of all....what gear do you have? What do you intend to purchase in the next year or less....lenses and newer more powerful flash units??

This kind of things are important to the type of bracket you need.

I have 2...both stroboframe one is the RL2000 and the other is the older model of the PRO RL.....

Looking at the description at BH I would think that the one you bought is a little light weight in build for serious use...but I could be wrong....

You did 2 things that are vry good.....1 you bought a name brand bracket.....2 - you purchased a camera flipping bracket instead ofa flash flipper....camera still winds up to the side and throwing nasty shawdows to the side....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    gwendolyngwendolyn Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    I have a Canon 40D and XT. I have a 430EX flash and two lenses, 18-55 and 28-135. I plan on buying a telephoto lense within the next year.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    My recommendation is the Newton bracket Di100FR2 Flash Rotator. I think the naming of this device is unfortunate as the camera really does rotate under the flash. In use, you grasp the flash (at the base if your smarter than the average bear) in one hand (usually your left hand) and rotate the camera under the flash using your right hand. In this fashion, your "trigger finger" never leaves the shutter button. In recent years, I've had three different brackets and I like this one the best. So much so that I've now got two of them, one for each cameramwink.gif.
  • Options
    RAFA.RAFA. Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    My vote is for the Newton bracket.. The bracket is very well built, its a simple design that works, and it's so damn compact.

290526821_SAqDT-M.jpg

and yes, I have the base mount..
    Rafael S.
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    i shoot about 40 weddings a year and rely heavily on my stroboframe pro-rl bracket. it's big, kinda heavy, and not very pretty. but it kicks butt! the only other bracket i'd consider is a custom bracket digital-m (i think it's the "m"). it's lighter and more fluid; i don't plan on getting it until after the pro-rl breaks though.

oh, did i mention the pro-rl can double as a weapon? :D
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    gwendolyn wrote:
    I have a Canon 40D and XT. I have a 430EX flash and two lenses, 18-55 and 28-135. I plan on buying a telephoto lense within the next year.

Either stick with the one you have until you decide to get some longer faster glass or go ahead and upgrade now while you can return the bracket you have and get the Stroboframe PRO-RL as DANGIN stated it is large but not unwieldly.....you will need a flash cable for your flash to connect to your camera.......I went with the pro-rl many years ago when I decided to start using large sunpak 622 flashes again and my RL2000 just wasn't tall enuff to get the handle out of the way of my camera AND i COULD NOT EASILY ROTATE MY KIEV 2 1/4 CAMERA on the RL2000......I also found the pro RL to be smoother than the RL2000 with my larger faster lenses(70-210 f2.8 ).....it is also not nearly as expensive as the Newton Brackets......but the Custom Brackets are only a few dollars more and a little prettier looking than the stroboframes.....Stroboframes have been around for some where nearly 50 yrs and are a very proven design..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    RAFA. wrote:
    My vote is for the Newton bracket.. The bracket is very well built, its a simple design that works, and it's so damn compact.

290526821_SAqDT-M.jpg

and yes, I have the base mount..

I do not see a way to connect this set up to a tripod?? Is there something missing or are the Newton Brackets not designed to attach to a tripod??

Could we see the top side of this set up to see how a flash sits a' top??

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    I do not see a way to connect this set up to a tripod?? Is there something missing or are the Newton Brackets not designed to attach to a tripod??

Could we see the top side of this set up to see how a flash sits a' top??
    The all have the standard threaded hole in the bottom. If you look just to the left of the thumb-screw, there's some light dimpling. I believe that's the threaded hole on this model.
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
  • Options
    airshaq20airshaq20 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 8, 2008
    +1 for the Newton folding bracket.
    I have one and have used a Stroboframe before.
    The Newton is very compact, will fit in your bag and its very well-made.
    My recommendation is the Newton bracket Di100FR2 Flash Rotator. I think the naming of this device is unfortunate as the camera really does rotate under the flash. In use, you grasp the flash (at the base if your smarter than the average bear) in one hand (usually your left hand) and rotate the camera under the flash using your right hand. In this fashion, your "trigger finger" never leaves the shutter button. In recent years, I've had three different brackets and I like this one the best. So much so that I've now got two of them, one for each cameramwink.gif.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    If you have an L Plate for your camera take a look at the RRS WPF-1:

WPF-Qflash-landscape.jpg

I just bought it and am very happy with it, it's very light and small when folded:

WPF-flat.gif

And it can quickly be repositioned (press one button) according to your camera orientation:

WPF-Qflash-portrait.jpg

More info (with a short video) here: http://reallyrightstuff.com/flash/04.html
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston