Options

Trip to Mount Hood

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited May 8, 2008 in Journeys
This last weekend I traveled down to the 11,239 foot (3,426 m) Mount Hood in Oregon with a group of friends. The goal was to make an attempt to climb the Mountain on Saturday. Unfortunately the weather on Saturday did not cooperate for climbing to the top, and since we all had to be back home early on Sunday we didn’t have enough time for a second summit attempt on Sunday. However, the weather on Sunday turned out to be amazing, and I did have enough time to get up early and get some pictures of the Mountain.

The lodge sits at 6000 feet, and with a base of 213” of snow many of the third story windows were partially covered with snow (note the windows with light coming from them are all on the 3rd floor).
290269198_uenJZ-M.jpg

If you don’t mind starting your climb up the mountain really late in the day, you can take 2 chairlifts from the lodge at 6000 feet to the top chairlift at 8500 feet.
290407911_2G6VP-M.jpg

Most climbers start up well before the chairlifts are running.
290407674_5Krqb-M.jpg

The first part of the climb follows a pretty straight forward trail. The markers are there to show the trail and to help climbers find their way down in the fog or weather
290407215_Yhv7x-M.jpg

Here’s the Southeast side of the mountain at sunrise
290514597_xaKP4-M.jpg

Here is the lodge with Mount Jefferson in the background some 50 miles away to the South.
290533318_HFzJk-M.jpg

Close up of Mount Jefferson.
290513616_xxqF6-M.jpg

A picture of the inside of the comfortable Timberline Lodge where we stayed.
290518858_AH7wu-M.jpg

I should mention, I have no regrets about not making it to the top of the mountain, because 12 years ago (on this same weekend) I did summit the mountain. I do regret not waking up earlier on Sunday and photographing star trails behind the mountain...I thought 4:30 AM would be early enough :rolleyes
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited May 7, 2008
    Spectacular! Looks like a great trip. Perhaps a reason to go back?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Spectacular! Looks like a great trip. Perhaps a reason to go back?

Thanks. This was actually my 3rd trip. I would like to try and make it an annual event.
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    So Andrew.....you went out purposefully to be in the snow headscratch.gif

Nice shots - the lodge looks lovely and the early morning shots are beautiful.
    I took exactly 0(zer-o) photos when I was in the Seattle area! Just visited lots which was really wonderful.

ann
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    So Andrew.....you went out purposefully to be in the snow headscratch.gif

...it was cheaper than Las Vegas. lol3.gifrolleyes
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Nice shots - the lodge looks lovely and the early morning shots are beautiful.
    I took exactly 0(zer-o) photos when I was in the Seattle area! Just visited lots which was really wonderful.

ann
    Thanks!

Sometimes, you just need to see the sites without a camera lens.

I'll try and stay in town next time you visit.:D
    Andrew

• Options
    Digital IllusionsDigital Illusions Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    Here is the lodge with Mount Jefferson in the background some 50 miles away to the South.
    290533318_HFzJk-M.jpg

Living in snow country sandwhiched between Crater Lake and the California border. I sure appriciate a shot like this. I have always loved landscape photos when you can get above the fog. Have you tried to crop out the bottom third (the lodge) and see how it would look as a panorama? Nonetheless it is a great shot! thumb.gif
    Brian C. Gailey, Owner / Operator
    Digital Illusions Photography & Design
    1764 Shawna Ct, Klamath Falls OR, 97603
    Email | Website | Blog | Facebook | MySpace |Newsletter | Subscribe

"The Race is long but in the end it is only with yourself" ~Unknown
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2008
    Living in snow country sandwhiched between Crater Lake and the California border. I sure appriciate a shot like this. I have always loved landscape photos when you can get above the fog. Have you tried to crop out the bottom third (the lodge) and see how it would look as a panorama? Nonetheless it is a great shot! thumb.gif

Thanks!

I appreciate what your talking about with the fog. For me there is something about getting up to altitude and getting above the fog or clouds; it really adds something to the picture.

For some reason I didn't do any panoramas on this trip, recently I've been doing lots of them but during this trip, I didn't even do one, which I regret. I don't have a proper panorama (or my tools to slice off the top half of that image), but I do have this more telephoto version of Mt. Jefferson with the clouds on it.

290407160_ArWVu-M.jpg
    Andrew