Options

payments - when will SM join the 21st century?

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
So I already sent an email to the showmethemoney folks about my problem but this is worth mentioning here too.

Why does SM still mail checks to pay pros for sales and downloads? :scratch

What's the problem with checks? Well, let's start with the fact that I requested payment this month and by April 10th, I still wasn't seeing payment issued in my control panel. So I requested payment again. Someone had apparently misplaced my request for payment so the check was finally issued 4-11-08. A week later (yes, a WEEK and I'm in Oregon, SM is in California) the check arrived.

So I endorsed it and mailed it off to my bank (sorry but I simply don't have time to wait in line to deposit a check). The bank refused to cash the check and mailed it back today because SM had not signed the front! :cry

Okay, so here it is April 24 and though I requested payment over a month ago, I still don't have it. :scratch

So how is it that I can pay ALL my bills (utilities, morgage, car payment -- even my annual SM fee) online yet SM still hasn't figured out a way to pay pros with direct deposit or some other online method? Even the IRS can pay refunds using direct deposit!

And to add insult to injury, I can collect payments online from my clients, they can even pay for their prints/downloads online, but for some reason SM can't figure out how to (or has a policy against) paying pros online. It's as if it's okay to use online payments when the money is going to SM, but not when it's going to the pros who use SM.

It really is (no really it is!) the 21st century. So why is SM still relying on paper checks (and their obvious pitfalls) and the postal service to send payments to pros? :scratch

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Hey Pete, I'm sorry you had this trouble. You can email our Countess of Cash anytime, and we'll jump through hoops to make sure our pros get their money. I'm sorry you didn't email me sooner about this, at the help desk.

We expect to have electronic payments. It's a job to do, and it's not done yet. I'm working on it and I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

We have no 'policy' against this Pete. I beg your patience and understanding while we continue to improve the site, and get features out that are important for pros. This is one of them and I'm sorry we're still in the paper business.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2008
    Pete, I just spoke with the Countess, she wants you destroy the first check and a new one is coming by Fedex to you immediately.

Toni'll follow up with you by email.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2008
    Thanks, Andy. I actually did email Toni first before posting here. :D

And I posted here more to bring up the issue of check payments in general rather than just this particular situation. There are a number of pitfalls with paying by check-- just wanted to give a specific example that actually related to SM.

I'm glad SM is looking into the direct deposit or other payment alternatives-- it's honestly the only feature request I really, really, really want to see implemented at this time.

Yeah, yeah, I know YOU have a list of feature requests that are a mile long from all the other SMers. And I know you can't stop the presses just for me-- but thanks for listening and at least considering an alternative. You could even continue to issue checks to those who wanted them. Though I suspect that would not be too many people!

• Options
    edited April 24, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Pete, I just spoke with the Countess, she wants you destroy the first check and a new one is coming by Fedex to you immediately.

Uh, Andy, hate to mention this, but this could be yet another downside to paying by check. If FedEx requires a signature for delivery, there's no one around to sign at my home address during the daytime...

• Options
    edited April 26, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Uh, Andy, hate to mention this, but this could be yet another downside to paying by check. If FedEx requires a signature for delivery, there's no one around to sign at my home address during the daytime...
    Hey Pete,

I emailed you when you told me this the other night, and suggested leaving a note for Fedex, I'm sorry you didn't see my email :(

Let us know if you've can't get the Fedex, we'll make new arrangements.

Thanks.
  • Options
    eyeDutcheyeDutch Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    I'm not really a fan of PayPal but it would sure beat checks especially for someone in the EU like myself. I also would love to see the possibility to bill in euros instead of dollars for the simple reason that the dollar seems to be worth less and less every day and so I'd keep having to adjust prices, were I a big international seller.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2008
    eyeDutch wrote:
    I'm not really a fan of PayPal but it would sure beat checks especially for someone in the EU like myself. I also would love to see the possibility to bill in euros instead of dollars for the simple reason that the dollar seems to be worth less and less every day and so I'd keep having to adjust prices, were I a big international seller.
    Thanks for the feedback -- 'tis on our list!
  • Options
    laslolaslo Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hey Pete, I'm sorry you had this trouble. You can email our Countess of Cash anytime, and we'll jump through hoops to make sure our pros get their money. I'm sorry you didn't email me sooner about this, at the help desk.

We expect to have electronic payments. It's a job to do, and it's not done yet. I'm working on it and I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

We have no 'policy' against this Pete. I beg your patience and understanding while we continue to improve the site, and get features out that are important for pros. This is one of them and I'm sorry we're still in the paper business.

Hi Andy,

I am lkooking forward to electronic payments also. I have not had any problems with the paper checks but not very confident in the US Mail.

Regards,

Laslo
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hey Pete,

I emailed you when you told me this the other night, and suggested leaving a note for Fedex, I'm sorry you didn't see my email :(

Let us know if you've can't get the Fedex, we'll make new arrangements.

Thanks.

Andy:

Yes, I did get the Fed-Ex and followed your tip to leave a note. Unfortunately, instead of the locking mailbox I asked them to put the parcel in, they just left it sitting on my front porch for all to see! It worked this time but seems a bit dicey...

• Options
    timeflighttimeflight Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Hello everyone.

I have my half price coupon code (just left flickr), my credit card details in place, then I saw this thread.

Is there an update on payments by PayPal?

This is a dealbreaker for me. I'm in the UK and banks here just wont accept a US cheque.

It's a real shame because this is the one reason why I cant sign up.

With PayPal, I can accept US$ UK£ and EU€.

PLEASE?
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2008
    timeflight wrote:
    I'm in the UK and banks here just wont accept a US cheque.
    Your bank is not being straight with you. I send USD Checks to the UK all the time.

That said, sign up and I'll make sure that we get you paid in a way that will work for you and your bank.

Thanks!
  • Options
    timeflighttimeflight Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Your bank is not being straight with you. I send USD Checks to the UK all the time.

That said, sign up and I'll make sure that we get you paid in a way that will work for you and your bank.

Thanks!

I'm so impressed with you customer service Andy - a real plus point for your site.

They (the bank) have told me that a US$ check of $1000 and below takes 28 days to clear and incurs a 'handling fee' of £15 ($30). I suppose it's better than nothing but the fee is 100 times more than PayPal would be.

Thanks for your reply - I'm hovering over the sign up button again!
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    timeflight wrote:
    I'm so impressed with you customer service Andy - a real plus point for your site.

They (the bank) have told me that a US$ check of $1000 and below takes 28 days to clear and incurs a 'handling fee' of £15 ($30). I suppose it's better than nothing but the fee is 100 times more than PayPal would be.

Thanks for your reply - I'm hovering over the sign up button again!
    £15 is an insane amount of money to cash a check! I bet SM has a trick up their sleeves though.

Of course.. They COULD just pay via. PayPal (ick), direct deposit clap.gif, or something similar..? I know checks are easy to do, but, I bet the savings of doing it electronically would more than make up for the development cost. Checks cost money, postage too. Also, someone breaking their hand each month signing the things isn't free. I bet there's a way to make it totally easy/automated and you'll be able to pay out sooner too.. :)

David
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Checks cost money, postage too. Also, someone breaking their hand each month signing the things isn't free. I bet there's a way to make it totally easy/automated and you'll be able to pay out sooner too.. :)

Hey-- now this is a post that makes sense! :D

SM says they're working on this but it's always nice to see/read how much a non-check payment system would be appreciated. There really are many benefits... I think it's just the initial engineering/coding that is keeping it from being implemented.