Options

Is this normal for the new DSLRs out there?

KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited July 23, 2008 in Cameras
I was wondering is it normal for Canon's XSi (perhaps better known as the 450D) to have its built-in flash to act like a disco strobe light... one and two sets of about 8 or so rapid firing?

What I mean is, all my other cameras that I use to have, and also my Nikon that I have now, would/will use its built-in mini flash light to focus in darker places with before the flash ever even considers to fire. My Nikon never does multible fires to focus in the dark all `cos of its mini light.

So is this normal or is it a defect? If this is normal, won't
Canon's flash burn out prematurally, thus meaning I should quickly buy a mount-on flash before it does? (Such as their 580EX)? Some say built-in flashes and mount-on flashes never burn out... I dunno about that. Seems to me they will burn out someday.

Thanks in advance!:cool
ʞ1└0

Comments

• Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    My Olympus E500 and E510 do the same thing. It is normal. It is just using the flash as a focus assist lamp. I have disabled it in both cameras because both cameras do quite well focusing in low light without it. It is likely helped by my nice lenses as well. I always worried some poor person would fall into a seizure when that flash assist strobe started flashing....
    So, it is normal - something many camera manufacturers use for low light focus assistance. However - I think it is irritating, so if you have focusing problems without it get a good wide aperture lens and that should help.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2008
    My Olympus E500 and E510 do the same thing. It is normal. It is just using the flash as a focus assist lamp. I have disabled it in both cameras because both cameras do quite well focusing in low light without it. It is likely helped by my nice lenses as well. I always worried some poor person would fall into a seizure when that flash assist strobe started flashing....
    So, it is normal - something many camera manufacturers use for low light focus assistance. However - I think it is irritating, so if you have focusing problems without it get a good wide aperture lens and that should help.

Thank you!

That's good to know that it's normal for the flash to do that. You don't own a Canon, but would you know how it can be disabled in an XSi/450D? The silly thing keeps disco strobing even with all the lights on in the house. It doesn't have much of a wide-aperture lens, but maybe there's a setting in the camera somewhere to where I can disable that rapid flickering? I haven't been able to figure it out yet.
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    You can turn it off by going to the "Custom Function Settings". I don't own an XSi (I use a 30D), but I downloaded the manual. Go to custom function #7 and you can change the setting. See page 157 in your manual for more details.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    I think in the scene modes, if it's too dark to focus, the flash automatically pops up and tries to aid in the focus.

I don't think you can turn this off excep maybe in the no flash mode.
    You can also use the P/M/Av/Tv/A Dep mode and it shouldn't do that in those modes as you can disable it.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2008
    I'm now finding out that the XSi flat out will not take any pictures in the dark, such as an airplane that was passing over several minutes ago, no matter what settings it was set on the dial, (Av, Tv, Full Auto, etc). Not to mention all that wasted flickering of the flash.11doh.gif

But my Nikon takes pictures of nothing in pitch darkness if I want it to. Which means, the XSi won't be able to take pictures of the moon when that night comes.rolleyes1.gif Oh well, I can take this test camera back if nothing works right.
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Some bodies will not let the shutter release if it can't confirm that the subject is in focus. Usually there is a button you can hold down, or once you find focus turn off auto focus and it should shoot.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    It probably is waiting for the autofocus. Also if the built-in flash just fired at it's maximum output (like it would if pointed at the night sky), it can take a moment to recycle, and the camera will wait for this, usually it flashes "busy" on the LCD status screen, though I'm not sure what it looks like on a 400d or 450d
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    First, if you have the lens on autofocus, you have to acquire focus or it won't take the pic. Another option is to turn the lens to manual focus and take the picture.
    The camera will take pictures in complete darkness with the lens cap on if you want it to! :photo
    Second, if you push the DOF preview button, which is easy to do by accident, it will fire a modeling disco flash.

Kilo wrote:
    I'm now finding out that the XSi flat out will not take any pictures in the dark, such as an airplane that was passing over several minutes ago, no matter what settings it was set on the dial, (Av, Tv, Full Auto, etc). Not to mention all that wasted flickering of the flash.11doh.gif

But my Nikon takes pictures of nothing in pitch darkness if I want it to. Which means, the XSi won't be able to take pictures of the moon when that night comes.rolleyes1.gif Oh well, I can take this test camera back if nothing works right.
    :jawdrop headscratch.gif
    I'm flabbergasted.
    I'd suggest read the manual and learn how to use the camera and it's focusing points. mwink.gifdeal.gif It is working right.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited May 9, 2008
    Kilo wrote:
    I'm now finding out that the XSi flat out will not take any pictures in the dark, such as an airplane that was passing over several minutes ago, no matter what settings it was set on the dial, (Av, Tv, Full Auto, etc). Not to mention all that wasted flickering of the flash. ..

Did you read the reply from CSwinton about how to turn off the feature?

Trying to use a camera to capture a aircraft in flight at night is just fruitless, no matter what the camera.
    Kilo wrote:
    ... But my Nikon takes pictures of nothing in pitch darkness if I want it to. Which means, the XSi won't be able to take pictures of the moon when that night comes.rolleyes1.gif Oh well, I can take this test camera back if nothing works right.

I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that your XSi would not be able to take photographs of the moon. It is just as capable as any Nikon in this regard. The moon is one of the brightest objects in the night sky and easy to photograph, once you know how. No camera, in automatic mode, is going to necessarily do it properly so you will need all manual controls for best results. We have a thread here if you are interested:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=82318

The Canon XSi is a great camera once you learn its controls and how they work. Take your time and it will reward you with wonderful images.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    I think in the scene modes, if it's too dark to focus, the flash automatically pops up and tries to aid in the focus.

I don't think you can turn this off excep maybe in the no flash mode.
    You can also use the P/M/Av/Tv/A Dep mode and it shouldn't do that in those modes as you can disable it.

This is a good reason to ignore the P&S modes. Learn to control the camera in the manual modes. It's not a P&S, don't try and use it as one, it's a waste of money in that case. Any DSLR will take more time & commitment to learn to use than the typical P&S; however once the skills are learned, the results are far more satisfying.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    If you just don't pop up the flash in the first place, it shouldn't emit in P, Av, Tv, M, and A-Dep.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    Thanks everyone!

It's all good. Someone else looked at it, and pretty much told me what another told me... "get a better lens." The lens that came with it was also slower than the one on my camera. So I just gave it back.

I'll get something else another day. I would get a D80, but it's about to phase out like the D40, 40x and 50 have. Maybe I'll try the 300 within a couple months.

However, I did like many of the XSi's other features; one of them being the Monochrome setting, and the ISO going as low as 100, and a few other things I've forgotten. It was also a quieter camera.
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    lendur2lendur2 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Restated: Should I buy a 580EX?

Yes. That dinky little flash is only just so good. Excellent for flash-fill of nearby faces that are in deep shadow.

It is a point source. A little instruction on photo lighting will show you that the wider the source, the better. The sun is a wide source.

Moreover you can get the 580 off the body (away from the lens' axis). You can use it as a bounce flash. You can use it as a slave. Buy a Justin clamp or just use duct tape. I won't go deeper. Read lighting 101 and 102 from strobist.
    http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/
    Also study about reflectors. Photography is all about light.
    (there is a little device that Nikon adds to its strobes, but Canon makes you buy it extra. It is a white piece of plastic that can be pulled out when the flash is used from 45° to 90° from the lens axis. This throws a small portion of the light to the eyes, which produces catch lights.

Good ones cost; experiment with a stiff sheet such as plastic or cardboard. Take aluminum foil to generously cover it, and crinkle it up as tight as you can. Then spread it out again and mount it on the board. For a variant, you can hang some light mesh the likes of light colored nylon stockings/pantyhose--maybe cheesecloth--over it when a more diffuse light is desired.

Don't overlook a good tripod. Not necessarily the multi-hundred dollar ones of the pros, but something "good" and cost-effective. Ask advice on that. Too large and controversial a topic! But you must wade in. A tripod is always better than hand-holding. It's just that for your needs and discrimination, hand-holding, perhaps with IS and/or high shutter speed will generously suffice. But not always. You do need to own one.
  • Options
    Mr Photo GuyMr Photo Guy Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 23, 2008
    Is there any way to turn off the flickering flash gimmick on an Olympus E510? I take wrestling photos, and it can take an age at times, by which time the perfect photo has been missed!
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    My XSi does this a well. It is normal and used to autofocus.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    lendur2 wrote:
    Restated:

Buy a Justin clamp or just use duct tape. I won't go deeper.

I will.....do not for any reason use DUCT TAPE.....that stuff can damage your equiptment and no matter what it leaves a sticky residue behind.....if you need a very sturdy strong tape.....use a genuine GAFFERS Tape.....every bit as strong as DUCT tape but it leaves NO residue behind.....I have wide rolls of black and thin rolls of bright yellow(Spike Tape)......it doen't hurt any surface I have ever stuck it to.

Also study about reflectors. Good ones cost.

not really.....I have purchased a chameleon 5 32" round reflector set for under $35 locally...so reflectors are not that expensive....as a matter of fact they are quite cheap in comparison to other photographic equiptment.

Don't overlook a good tripod. Not necessarily the multi-hundred dollar ones of the pros, but something "good" and cost-effective. Ask advice on that. Too large and controversial a topic! But you must wade in. A tripod is always better than hand-holding. It's just that for your needs and discrimination, hand-holding, perhaps with IS and/or high shutter speed will generously suffice. But not always. You do need to own one.

yes you needa t-pod or at least a mono pod and learn to use it,,,,at first it will seem an impractal waste of time.....however once you get used them they are most definitely your friend.....you do not need to start with a basalt, lava or carbon fibre "pod" unless you really have the money for the best.....if not take a look at Giottos, I traded my Manfrotto / Bogen legs for a set of 4 section Giottos and really am glad I did....I can manuver the center post into horizontal or even angle postions for macro shooting it also gets very low to the ground and it was relatively inexpensive.

I could get even lower if I just chnaged out the center post for a shorty.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website