Options

Washington DC - great interiors & must-shots?

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
It looks like work will be taking me away from DC and back to Boston in six months. Want to take advantage of living here and capture all of the 'must-have' shots in the next few months. I was hoping for some advice on the great interiors and other lesser known areas that I should try to venture to. I'll start with what I've done/know to do:
Capitol - still need to get into the rotunda
226096484-Th.jpg226088127-Th.jpg221751583-Th.jpg
White House - have a few okay ones. one from the roof of the Hay Adams which is nice (not on my smugmug gallery yet)
Washington Monument - haven't gone up there in 10 years...worth it?
84176258-Th.jpg221751890-Th.jpg55313098-Th.jpg
Lincoln
178784790-Th.jpg207933048-Th.jpg
-still want to get the sun rising from the interior of the Lincoln looking out at the washington monument
Jefferson
175863964-Th.jpg176741600-Th.jpg
Supreme Court
240021821-Th.jpg240024647-Th.jpg
Iwo Jima
172135067-Th.jpg
July 4th Fireworks from the Netherlands Carrillion
172134281-Th.jpg
Awakening statue at Haines Point
178356170-Th.jpg
Einstein statue
178360725-Th.jpg
National Arboretum columns
188103539-Th.jpg188102824-Th.jpg188103448-Th.jpg
Metro
90151696-Th.jpg214193199-Th.jpg
Adams Morgan
196547115-Th.jpg
Great Hall at the National Building Museum
240022404-Th.jpg
Union Station
240020611-Th.jpg240021225-Th.jpg

Don't mean to flood this with my own photos but it seemed like a better approach than describing what I have in words. I would really appreciate any thoughts/suggestions of where (and when) to go. I will try to re-do the cherry blossoms in April (I took a bunch with an old powershot s30). Also need to get a few good ones of Georgetown (as I did my residency training there). I plan to get over to Great Falls for a hike and capture those rapids as well. I need to get a few more good monument shots but will wait on FDR until the cherry blossoms come out.
Thanks for looking through this long thread!
E

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    I am really, truly impressed by your collection of DC shots. I have lived here over 10 years now and never managed to get any of these fresh, beautiful views of anything in the city. Heck, I just got back after a morning of shooting down there and I don't think I have a single shot worth keeping.

I'm not much help, sorry, but I did want to say that your view of DC is so inspiring and I'm really glad that even though it's one of the country's top tourist destinations there are photos like these that continue to make it so beautiful. thumb.gif
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Well, if you have six months, the cherry blossoms should pop out before then. Can't leave DC without a sakura Tidal Basin shot! mwink.gif

Also, the National Museum of the American Indian has a simply stunning exterior and some lovely curves in the ceiling interior.

I also tend to like the Smithsonian castle. thumb.gif

What about the White House?

A trip out to Udvar Hazy might also be worth it, if you haven't been to photograph that space. Simply huge and stunning. Planes hanging from the ceiling, plus the Space Shuttle.

Have fun capturing the landmarks before you go! :D
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I am really, truly impressed by your collection of DC shots. I have lived here over 10 years now and never managed to get any of these fresh, beautiful views of anything in the city. Heck, I just got back after a morning of shooting down there and I don't think I have a single shot worth keeping.

I'm not much help, sorry, but I did want to say that your view of DC is so inspiring and I'm really glad that even though it's one of the country's top tourist destinations there are photos like these that continue to make it so beautiful. thumb.gif
    WOW! Thanks for the incredibly kind words Schmoo.
    Now, having lived down here for 10 years, you've got to have a few favorite monuments/interiors/houses/buildings for me to go visit...mwink.gif
    Thanks again. E

ps: forgot to put a link to the gallery for larger images:
    http://eoren1.smugmug.com/gallery/1629444#172135067
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Well, if you have six months, the cherry blossoms should pop out before then. Can't leave DC without a sakura Tidal Basin shot! mwink.gif

Also, the National Museum of the American Indian has a simply stunning exterior and some lovely curves in the ceiling interior.

I also tend to like the Smithsonian castle. thumb.gif

What about the White House?

A trip out to Udvar Hazy might also be worth it, if you haven't been to photograph that space. Simply huge and stunning. Planes hanging from the ceiling, plus the Space Shuttle.

Have fun capturing the landmarks before you go! :D

Kerry-
    Thanks for the great suggestions. And again thank you for reminding me about the Great Hall (still like your view from the second floor better...).
    Will definitely grab some cherry blossoms (hopefully those early morning ones before anyone else gets there).
    Forgot about the new American Indian museum. Never did find a view of the Castle that would do it justice.
    Thanks for the reminder about the other Air and Space museum. My 2 year old will love it!
    E
  • Options
    AiredrifterAiredrifter Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    library of Congress Thomas Jefferson building
    Main reading room.

Arguably the prettiest room in DC.

Supreme Court Library. Getting in might be a problem. Get a local law student or a member of the Supreme Ct. Bar to take you.

FWIW
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    If you're trekking out to Udvar Hazy anyway, consider also visiting the Marine Corps Museum. Our son recently enlisted, and we visited the museum during the summer. Stunning building and displays.

Ronald Reagan Building is also worth visiting. Its the last federal building constructed as part of the "Federal Triangle", and some features are clearly monumental. Next to RRB is also the Old Post Office Pavilion; if you can still ride the elevator up the tower, the views are very nice.

Some other ideas:
    • The National Cathedral
    • Harpers Ferry (and a hike up Maryland Heights if possible)
    • The new Nationals stadium
    • Maybe some pics of RFK stadium, in case it gets torn down
    • Consider a boat ride on the Potomac for a nice vantage point of many views & monuments.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions Tony and Mike!
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    Had a chance to shoot the Jefferson (nearly empty) and the Archives (also amazingly void of tourists).

Archives:
    248347019-L.jpg

248347437-L.jpg

Jefferson:
    248535864-L.jpg

248537080-L.jpg

248537422-L.jpg

248537511-L.jpg
  • Options
    GunGun Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 4, 2008
    Wow DC looks pretty awesome.
    I always love to see the photo taken by locals, 'cause they have plenty of time to find the best angle.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2008
    Last night in DC
    Almost set for the move from this city. Managed a few last night cityscapes.
    Enjoy,
    E

286122194_kZXKf-M.jpg

286122494_cZAZe-M.jpg

286122698_vTgxy-M.jpg

286122950_GMA8J-M.jpg

286123211_6ZRDq-M.jpg
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    clap.gif I really really love your architectural work. I'm sorry you have to leave a place you like so much, but part of me is looking forward to seeing what you do with Boston. thumb.gif
  • Options
    gagodfathergagodfather Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    nice pics of dc. i will be there from wed to sunday and hope i can get alot of nice pics such as yours and the others who was with schmoo. keep up the good work and let us see what you take in boston.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2008
    Thanks guys.
    DC has been fun but Boston has such great skies that I can't wait to see what awaits...
    E
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    Those are awesome shots of DC! Thats a neat city, glad I was able to fly my wife and kids there for a heck of history lesson. My girls totally dug it, and want to go back.
  • Options
    rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    I thought they had a rule about not shooting the Constitution. Something about the flash deteriorating the paper or some such crap. Maybe I'm wrong.

Excellent photos. I'm planning a trip there myself (couple hours away from me) in the near future. I hope to get some shots like yours. thumb.gif
  • Options
    thefireguythefireguy Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    A trip to the National Zoo isn't a bad idea if you have some time to kill...it's free to get in, although I'd advise packing some snacks in your bag because food is rather expensive:
    291953656_r6q5R-L.jpg

Another must see is the Cherry Blossom festival. Although I didn't make it this year, theres some great photo opportunities during that.
    -Brian Sullivan
    TheFireGuysPhotos.com