Options

compositing, redux

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 26, 2005 in Finishing School
last year, i made up this tutorial on compositing. well, yesterday i made a shot that was begging for some bifs to round out the scene, so i thought i'd refresh the subject.

so, here's the shot. it's nice, but it needs something!
18259243-L.jpg

it helps to have birds on hand. i shot these canadian geese about 20 minutes prior to the rusty building, so the light was very similar. it also helps to have a clear sky for easy separation.

there's no right or wrong, but there is probably "better" and "not so better" :lol3 and this is a technique that i use very sparingly. sometimes i get it right, and i hope you like this composite. i think it works well. yeah, the birds could also be made smaller, but heck, in my mind, the flew right over the shed roof and in my fov the second i snapped the shutter :D like it or don't like it - that's okay... the point is if you've not tried this, you're in for a treat.

18259220-L.jpg

18259195-L.jpg

and the final product

main scene, canon 20d with canon 24 f/1.4L aboard, f/8 at 1/500th sec.
birds, canon 20d with canon 300 f/2.8L aboard, f/8 at 1/1000th sec.

18258465-L.jpg

enjoy (photoshop shenanigans) photography,

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    Andy,
    I always enjoyed your tutorials. I probably mentioned that already that it was that very foggy horsey of yours that actually made me to look into post processing seriously.

On this one, I have a comment, however. It cries "compositing". Why? Birds are too big. We all know their sizes and manner of flight, so if you think just for a second about the final image, you would have to assume that they flew right through the barn roof:-)
    The whole situation can be easily repaired if you make them smaller and put them as if they were just passing by the roof..

With a great respect.. bowdown.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I always enjoyed your tutorials. I probably mentioned that already that it was that very foggy horsey of yours that actually made me to look into post processing seriously.

On this one, I have a comment, however. It cries "compositing". Why? Birds are too big. We all know their sizes and manner of flight, so if you think just for a second about the final image, you would have to assume that they flew right through the barn roof:-)
    The whole situation can be easily repaired if you make them smaller and put them as if they were just passing by the roof..

With a great respect.. bowdown.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif

thanks nik - this is great feedback, and if i make it again, i may just make them smaller :) but what i was envisioning was swooping geese :)

here's another:

18267505-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2005
    You are most certainly welcome!
    andy wrote:
    thanks nik - this is great feedback, and if i make it again, i may just make them smaller :) but what i was envisioning was swooping geese :)
    I guess my point should have been to make SOMETHING smaller:-).

You started with the barn shot so I naturaly assumed that it's a barn you want to keep.

No problems now:-)thumb.gif
    I like these geese.. (on a grill, too:-) Nice pikcha:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2005
    Forgot to mention
    I very much liked the way you put the text right on top of the image.
    I wish it could be a feature of dgrin. But, if I'm not mistaken, you can only do this with DHTML, which would be too much to ask to add to vbulletin, I guess..
    Thanks again!
    PS
    Too bad you're not using your PC anymore. I'm about to deploy something cool in - hopefully - a few hours:-)
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I guess my point should have been to make SOMETHING smaller:-).

You started with the barn shot so I naturaly assumed that it's a barn you want to keep.

No problems now:-)thumb.gif
    I like these geese.. (on a grill, too:-) Nice pikcha:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif

lol3.gif it's a different barn, nik :D thanks mate
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    PS
    Too bad you're not using your PC anymore. I'm about to deploy something cool in - hopefully - a few hours:-)
    Hey, that sounds great, can you give me a sneak peak what's going to be new, because I'm off for bed in a while and can't wait till tomorrow! rolleyes1.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2005
    :-)
    Hey, that sounds great, can you give me a sneak peak what's going to be new, because I'm off for bed in a while and can't wait till tomorrow! rolleyes1.gif

Sebastian
    Patience, my young friend, all in due time:-). Just trust me - you'll love it..:-)
    But you better go sleeep now, it'll be a nice morning gift 4 u.:-)
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2005
    I noticed..:-)
    andy wrote:
    lol3.gif it's a different barn, nik :D thanks mate
    But you *started* with *a barn*.
    Once again, you're welcome - and thanks!