AlbumFetcher - Download multiple galleries w/ embedded captions and keywords

Comments

• DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Hi Greg,

Love your photos from the Taiwan trip, especially the Do Not Turb !!

One suggestion for Album Fetcher is to make the album list sortable like Windows Explorer is. I have over 3000 galleries and had to search through the entire list to find the categories that I wanted to download.
    It would have been a lot easier if I could have sorted them by clicking on the header button.

Thanks for a great app.

cheers

Andrew
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Dna wrote:
    Hi Greg,

Love your photos from the Taiwan trip, especially the Do Not Turb !!

One suggestion for Album Fetcher is to make the album list sortable like Windows Explorer is. I have over 3000 galleries and had to search through the entire list to find the categories that I wanted to download.
    It would have been a lot easier if I could have sorted them by clicking on the header button.

Thanks for a great app.

cheers

Andrew

3000 galleries? Wow! Excellent idea on the sorting. Will have to add that to the list for the next release. Thanks for the compliments as well. :D
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    wellman wrote:
    3000 galleries? Wow! Excellent idea on the sorting. Will have to add that to the list for the next release. Thanks for the compliments as well. :D
    No problem.

I ran it successfully the other day and downloaded some albums but it's not working today.
    Here's the error messages.
    2/04/2008 9:33:46 AM: AlbumFetcher start
    2/04/2008 9:33:53 AM: Logging in user dna...
    2/04/2008 9:33:53 AM: Start REST transaction.
    2/04/2008 9:33:54 AM: Expect file of size 342 bytes.
    2/04/2008 9:33:54 AM: Received file of size 342 bytes.
    2/04/2008 9:33:54 AM: REST transaction successful.
    2/04/2008 9:33:54 AM: Login for user dna successful.
    2/04/2008 9:33:54 AM: Retrieving albums for user dna...
    2/04/2008 9:33:54 AM: Start REST transaction.
    2/04/2008 9:34:25 AM: Download failed on file http://api.smugmug.com/services/api/rest/1.2.1/?method=smugmug.albums.get&SessionID=f8f80975c647dbe763c38e4da0edc803&Heavy=1. Received Internet Exception: The operation timed out
    2/04/2008 9:34:25 AM: GetUrlContentsAsMemFile failed in GetUrlContentsAsString call.
    2/04/2008 9:34:25 AM: REST transaction failed at call into URL handler. Aborting.
    2/04/2008 9:34:25 AM: REST transaction failed during listing of albums. Listing of albums failed. Check log for error messages.
    2/04/2008 9:34:31 AM: Start REST transaction.
    2/04/2008 9:34:31 AM: Expect file of size 122 bytes.
    2/04/2008 9:34:31 AM: Received file of size 122 bytes.
    2/04/2008 9:34:31 AM: REST transaction successful.
    2/04/2008 9:34:31 AM: Logged out.

thanks

Andrew
  • cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    Any chance that you could put a remember name and password into the program? Just curious. Almost forgot, the ability to save a default folder other than the current default?
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
    edited April 6, 2008
    cjyphoto wrote:
    Any chance that you could put a remember name and password into the program? Just curious. Almost forgot, the ability to save a default folder other than the current default?

That's a good thought, but not in the plans at the moment. It would involve AlbumFetcher saving something to your hard drive, which would go against the portable one-file nature I've been shooting for. Thanks for the feedback, though.
  • seanmpuckettseanmpuckett Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    > It would involve AlbumFetcher saving something to your hard drive, which would go against the portable one-file nature I've been shooting for.

Greg,

A portable, one-file installation is an admirable goal, and one you have achieved. However, once the program has been installed there is no longer a need for portability. Indeed, traditional usability guidelines suggest rather strongly that user preferences should be preserved across sessions. Using the registry or a simple flat file to store the half-dozen or so settings that are unlikely to change from session to session would be quite welcome. Of course, you would not save the password. This would also save those of us who are sometimes hasty from having to clean up albums erroneously downloaded to the default directory.

Have you considered opening the source back up? Those of us who enjoy the program and have some moderate skill at programming could add little features that are important to us (heirarchical albums, sorting, preference saving, etc) and save you the time.

Thanks again for such a useful tool.
    edited April 9, 2008
    > It would involve AlbumFetcher saving something to your hard drive, which would go against the portable one-file nature I've been shooting for.

Greg,

A portable, one-file installation is an admirable goal, and one you have achieved. However, once the program has been installed there is no longer a need for portability. Indeed, traditional usability guidelines suggest rather strongly that user preferences should be preserved across sessions. Using the registry or a simple flat file to store the half-dozen or so settings that are unlikely to change from session to session would be quite welcome. Of course, you would not save the password. This would also save those of us who are sometimes hasty from having to clean up albums erroneously downloaded to the default directory.

Have you considered opening the source back up? Those of us who enjoy the program and have some moderate skill at programming could add little features that are important to us (heirarchical albums, sorting, preference saving, etc) and save you the time.

Thanks again for such a useful tool.

Excellent points. The source is back up (and has been for a while; I neglected to add a new post calling attention after I modified the first). Happy coding! :D
  • cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Well, I have no programing skills, but would still like the above requests. Would it be possible to make them an option? ne_nau.gif
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
  • SENSEISENSEI Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    This works pretty well for my guests to download full galleries.

Is there a way to get the orig names of files when downloading? Or just the Smumug assigned names?
    edited April 10, 2008
    SENSEI wrote:
    This works pretty well for my guests to download full galleries.

Is there a way to get the orig names of files when downloading? Or just the Smumug assigned names?

Only the SmugMug image IDs are available to guests. Glad AlbumFetcher is useful to you. :D
    edited April 12, 2008
    Short instructions in the first post updated with guest login info per Katy's request. Thanks Katy!
  • dac1117dac1117 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Timing out on larger albums?
    I am using ver. 0.3.3. When I select an album for downloading that contains a lot of images (165 or more), I get the initial message "requesting information for <albumName> but then, after about 20 sec, I get the msg "error in fetching image data. download aborted". My site is www.woodfiredceramics.net

Thanks for looking into it!

dave conrad
    edited April 14, 2008
    dac1117 wrote:
    I am using ver. 0.3.3. When I select an album for downloading that contains a lot of images (165 or more), I get the initial message "requesting information for <albumName> but then, after about 20 sec, I get the msg "error in fetching image data. download aborted". My site is www.woodfiredceramics.net

Thanks for looking into it!

dave conrad

What OS are you running, and if you try again now do you see the same behavior?
  • dac1117dac1117 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    wellman wrote:
    What OS are you running, and if you try again now do you see the same behavior?
    Sorry for the late reply! I'm using XP but thinigs seem to be working ok now - maybe sm was doing maintainence. - www.woodfiredceramics.net
  • SlimShaneySlimShaney Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 29, 2008
    Having problems with large galleries
    Note: after further testing, I noticed that if I 'uncheck' the "Embed IPTC data..." it works fine.

Hi! I just started using Albumfetcher. Awesome tool and exactly what i was looking for after a major hard drive crash. I have had some success with the tool, but it seems to puke on large galleries (pukes as in can not retrieve the files, not an application shutdown.) Admittedly I have not read all of the release notes, but is there a known file limit per gallery? I have a gallery with 277 pictures and it has this problem. I'm checking some other sizes (it easily gets the pictures from a gallery with 10 pictures) just to see, but thought you might already be aware of a limit.

Thanks,
    Shane
    edited April 30, 2008
    SlimShaney wrote:
    Note: after further testing, I noticed that if I 'uncheck' the "Embed IPTC data..." it works fine.

Hi! I just started using Albumfetcher. Awesome tool and exactly what i was looking for after a major hard drive crash. I have had some success with the tool, but it seems to puke on large galleries (pukes as in can not retrieve the files, not an application shutdown.) Admittedly I have not read all of the release notes, but is there a known file limit per gallery? I have a gallery with 277 pictures and it has this problem. I'm checking some other sizes (it easily gets the pictures from a gallery with 10 pictures) just to see, but thought you might already be aware of a limit.

Thanks,
    Shane

There's no limit; I've pulled thousands of photos in a batch. There are lots of potential glitches in the line when pulling this many bytes down from the web, though. "Just keep trying" is my best advice. :D
  • ginareyginarey Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 11, 2008
    Album Fetcher - Irie Man!
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapwings.gifivarbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow

In true Jamaican parlance - Dis ting ya irie man!!!

My hard drive and spare backup drive crashed with over 5000 pics. Thanks to a very clumsy helper (maid in your language). I have been trying to regenerate the backups and "dis one ya work good man" Whan I get rich selling my smugmug pics - I will definitely get you some champagne

Gina Rey Forest
    edited May 12, 2008
    Thanks for the kind words! :D
    ginarey wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapwings.gifivarbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow

In true Jamaican parlance - Dis ting ya irie man!!!

My hard drive and spare backup drive crashed with over 5000 pics. Thanks to a very clumsy helper (maid in your language). I have been trying to regenerate the backups and "dis one ya work good man" Whan I get rich selling my smugmug pics - I will definitely get you some champagne

Gina Rey Forest
  • ARG!ARG! Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Greg, excellent tool and a significant contributing factor to my decision to switch to SmugMug. Well done!

beer.gif
    edited May 15, 2008
    ARG! wrote:
    Greg, excellent tool and a significant contributing factor to my decision to switch to SmugMug. Well done!

beer.gif

Thanks! :D
  • dbpattersondbpatterson Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 27, 2008
    hey just wanted to let you know albumfetcher works on linux via wine (kudos to writing clean code!), which it might be useful to mention in the first post... (only downloaded 9 out of 460 photos so far, but it appears to work...)
  • trendyltrendyl Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 27, 2008
    Problems with Album Fetcher working
    Hi, I seem to be having problems with getting this program to work. I am using Windows Vista, and am receiving an error in fetching image data. In addition with some galleries within same album, I am getting a download complete message in just a few seconds, when I check the folder where it's supposed to download it is empty. I would appreciate any advice so I can utilize this awesome tool.

thanks
    edited May 28, 2008
    hey just wanted to let you know albumfetcher works on linux via wine (kudos to writing clean code!), which it might be useful to mention in the first post... (only downloaded 9 out of 460 photos so far, but it appears to work...)

Sweet!:ivar First post updated...
    edited May 28, 2008
    trendyl wrote:
    Hi, I seem to be having problems with getting this program to work. I am using Windows Vista, and am receiving an error in fetching image data. In addition with some galleries within same album, I am getting a download complete message in just a few seconds, when I check the folder where it's supposed to download it is empty. I would appreciate any advice so I can utilize this awesome tool.

thanks
    PM sent...
  • habcapturehabcapture Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 28, 2008
    guest cannot list password protected gallery
    Hi,
    I would to let guests list password protected gallery, in order to let them download all pictures directly.
    I tried this ways :
    - I created a password protected gallery (unlisted).
    - I ran AlbumFetcher.
    - Login as Guest with site password
    - My smugmug ID, or my email.
    - The password gallery or my account password.
    Anyway I tried, this does not list any gallery.

Please, what's wrong here ?

The only way I could list is : login as owner, and using my smugmug ID and account password.

What I don't understant here is : how could I let guests users (friends I will send the gallery password) download a password protected gallery without having to give my account and password ID, which would let them log as owner onto my AlbumFetcher account ???

Is there any other way to download multiple pictures ?

Thanks,
  • gconsiergconsier Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 28, 2008
    wellman wrote:
    PM sent...

Would you mind sharing the contents of that PM? :)
    I'm having the same issue.. and have never had problems with the app before

thanks
    greg
    edited May 29, 2008
    In guest mode, you'll have to enter a site password if there is one. If there's an album password, you'll be prompted for it. In guest mode, only public galleries (which can still be password-protected) are displayed. Hope this helps.
    -Greg
    habcapture wrote:
    Hi,
    I would to let guests list password protected gallery, in order to let them download all pictures directly.
    I tried this ways :
    - I created a password protected gallery (unlisted).
    - I ran AlbumFetcher.
    - Login as Guest with site password
    - My smugmug ID, or my email.
    - The password gallery or my account password.
    Anyway I tried, this does not list any gallery.

Please, what's wrong here ?

The only way I could list is : login as owner, and using my smugmug ID and account password.

What I don't understant here is : how could I let guests users (friends I will send the gallery password) download a password protected gallery without having to give my account and password ID, which would let them log as owner onto my AlbumFetcher account ???

Is there any other way to download multiple pictures ?

Thanks,
    edited May 29, 2008
    Hi, sorry you're having trouble. Are the albums you're trying to download public albums? If so, could you send me some links? I can try to fetch them myself and look for potential issues. Thanks.
    gconsier wrote:
    Would you mind sharing the contents of that PM? :)
    I'm having the same issue.. and have never had problems with the app before

thanks
    greg
  • habcapturehabcapture Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 1, 2008
    wellman wrote:
    Hi, sorry you're having trouble. Are the albums you're trying to download public albums? If so, could you send me some links? I can try to fetch them myself and look for potential issues. Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for the above answers. It works fine as you explained above :
    - I set the gallery as public ;
    - Log as guest ;
    - set my Smugmug ID
    Then public galleries are listed
    - Then launch the downlaod and I'm prompted for the gallery password.

So it works fine :-)

But I have to set the gallery as public. And as far as I could understand, even if a gallery is password protected, this is still possible to view or download a public album if you don't know the password. In other word, to make an album "private" (I mean password locked), you have to se it private, not public.
    Is there any chance to be able to download at once a private album using AlbumFetcher ?
    Or could Smugmug implement the "download at one gallery" as they implemented for "Buy multiple photos".

Other question :
    In AlbumFetcher, there is a third possibility :
    Log as guest with password. I cannot figure out how using it and its feature. Please could you let me know.

Other question :
    I tested the download while typing this message, and noticed that some pictures of downloaded album are not sorted as they are on my computer.
    Checking how this is displayed on Smugmug, I discovered that they are not sorted as they are on my computer, but they are sorted as the download.
    So it looks like a Smugmug problem or limitation. Could you experience this ? Is this a normal behaviour ?

Once again, thanks, it really helped me.

Best regards,
    Gil.
    edited June 2, 2008
    Answers below...
    habcapture wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks for the above answers. It works fine as you explained above :
    - I set the gallery as public ;
    - Log as guest ;
    - set my Smugmug ID
    Then public galleries are listed
    - Then launch the downlaod and I'm prompted for the gallery password.

So it works fine :-)

But I have to set the gallery as public. And as far as I could understand, even if a gallery is password protected, this is still possible to view or download a public album if you don't know the password. In other word, to make an album "private" (I mean password locked), you have to se it private, not public.
    Is there any chance to be able to download at once a private album using AlbumFetcher ?
    Or could Smugmug implement the "download at one gallery" as they implemented for "Buy multiple photos".
    Unlisted albums will not show up for guests using AlbumFetcher. This is per SmugMug design.
    habcapture wrote:

Other question :
    In AlbumFetcher, there is a third possibility :
    Log as guest with password. I cannot figure out how using it and its feature. Please could you let me know.

This enables use of AlbumFetcher for guests who know the site-wide password for a certain SmugMug account.
    habcapture wrote:

Other question :
    I tested the download while typing this message, and noticed that some pictures of downloaded album are not sorted as they are on my computer.
    Checking how this is displayed on Smugmug, I discovered that they are not sorted as they are on my computer, but they are sorted as the download.
    So it looks like a Smugmug problem or limitation. Could you experience this ? Is this a normal behaviour ?

The sorting on your computer and sorting on SmugMug are independently controlled, so they won't match necessarily.
    habcapture wrote:

Once again, thanks, it really helped me.

Best regards,
    Gil.

Glad you're getting good use. Best of luck.