tax Id?

sunshinysunshiny Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited May 11, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Why a tax Id for smugmug users? :scratch

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Should only be for Pro users and then it comes down to whether or not you want to be paid for your sales from your SM site. You tax ID is alot of cases for a lot of photogs is their SS number...........................

HTH
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    tax id
    what is considered a pro users? and how safe is it for someone to use their social security number? can we use something else? and does getting a tax id also mean someone has to get a business license?

why is it that photoreflect doesn't require a tax id?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    sunshiny wrote:
    what is considered a pro users? and how safe is it for someone to use their social security number? can we use something else? and does getting a tax id also mean someone has to get a business license?
    Yes, it's safe - you're faxing a W9 form to SmugMug. You can also mail it if you wish.

You can use your SSN or your Fed Tax ID for your business if you have one. We can't pay you unless we can file a 1099 with the IRS.

why is it that photoreflect doesn't require a tax id?

Thanks
    Indeed they do, if they are collecting funds for you and paying you.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    smug mug versus photoreflect
    thanks for the discount code...what is considered a pro user? my mom is a baby when it comes to photography. she basically just shoots church functions and then sells them. She was looking for a sight to use to post her work and smug mug was passed onto her. I use photoreflect and there is no cost and no tax id required. but it is not mac user friendly, so she is trying to decide if the headace of using photoreflect is worth it versus smug mug.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, it's safe - you're faxing a W9 form to SmugMug. You can also mail it if you wish.

You can use your SSN or your Fed Tax ID for your business if you have one. We can't pay you unless we can file a 1099 with the IRS.
    Indeed they do, if they are collecting funds for you and paying you.

I called and already asked that and they told me they don't require a tax id. And no we don't have W9's or FED Tax Id. Just something on the side to do for church, friends, and family.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    sunshiny wrote:
    I called and already asked that and they told me they don't require a tax id. And no we don't have W9's or FED Tax Id. Just something on the side to do for church, friends, and family.
    Ah are you doing a non-profit? If so, we have a free account for 501(c)3 non-profits:
    details: http://www.smugmug.com/help/non-profit-free-accounts

Does this help?
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Ah are you doing a non-profit? If so, we have a free account for 501(c)3 non-profits:
    details: http://www.smugmug.com/help/non-profit-free-accounts

Does this help?

no...it is not a non profit. just something on the side. i guess we should contact our tax preparer and ask her about a business license and tax id. have no idea. does that sound about right?

thanks so much for your assistance
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    sunshiny wrote:
    no...it is not a non profit. just something on the side. i guess we should contact our tax preparer and ask her about a business license and tax id. have no idea. does that sound about right?

thanks so much for your assistance
    Sure that'll work. And you can start selling now, and file the W9 anytime - don't worry :)
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Sure that'll work. And you can start selling now, and file the W9 anytime - don't worry :)

so we don't need a tax id then? or do we if she does decide to have customers order from smug mug instead of them contacting her.

man, have you ever had someone so annoying as me?

thanks again for your patience and advice bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    sunshiny wrote:
    so we don't need a tax id then? or do we if she does decide to have customers order from smug mug instead of them contacting her.

man, have you ever had someone so annoying as me?

thanks again for your patience and advice bowdown.gif
    No customer could ever be annoying :)

Sure you can be SmugMug Pro account, and send in the W9 when you decide to sell at a profit or even later than than, but it must be done before we can send money to you thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    No customer could ever be annoying :)

Sure you can be SmugMug Pro account, and send in the W9 when you decide to sell at a profit or even later than than, but it must be done before we can send money to you thumb.gif

if my mom decides to use her SS#, is it pretty self explanatory for her to figure out where to go to get the needed info to you guys?

and lastly, these are her options in using your services...
    1. she'll need a fed tax id which she can get from irs
    or
    2. she'll need to file a W9 which doesn't require a tax id
    or
    3. she can just use her ss# without a tax id or W9

is this type of info listed somewhere on your site so I can take a look at it myself?

i think your services may just be thru here soon...wings.gif
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2008
    sunshiny wrote:
    is this type of info listed somewhere on your site so I can take a look at it myself?

nod.gifhttp://www.smugmug.com/help/reporting