Options

Dauntless Helldivers

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited May 12, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
279039793_JyTaL-XL.jpg

279035615_QCePF-XL.jpg

These are two of the rarest WWII warbirds in existance. There are only 3 of the Helldivers ( # 32 on the rudder ) known to be flying anywhere in the world. There are not many more, if any more, of the Dauntlesses flying. I have a good friend, who is now 88 years old, that flew both of these aircraft types during the war. He is the only aviator ( either American or Japanese ) known to have participated in all 5 major aircraft carrier conflicts of the war. His name is Hal Buell and he wrote a facinating book
( Dauntless Helldivers ) about his exploits during the war.
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Thats a really well done picturethumb.gifthumbI always like pictures of plans from World War Two,,,,,, The P51 is my favorite.... azzaro
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    Hi Azzaro....

I'm with you about the P-51. It's also my favorite. I'm very fortunate to have another friend that owns one of them. It's named " Sizzlin Liz " and is a fixture at many of the larger airshows around the country. I go up in it with him and I have to tell you, it's the most visceral experience I have in an aircraft. I can only dream about what it must have been like to go into combat in such a plane.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    SpectreSpectre Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    I love the look of the old Helldivers... they didn't make much of a great name for themselves but they did look mean with that big fat tail :)

nice pictures considering the people and the yellow lines in the way.

I'd take a prop over a jet any day :)
  • Options
    nneri12nneri12 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 12, 2008
    nneri
    nice photo , bravo !!!!!!!!!!!!!1clap.gifD
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    Hi Spectre....

When the Helldiver was first introduced, it was seriously underpowered and it had a few airframe design deficiencies that hampered its performance. They actually had a number of instances wherein the plane, when fully loaded with gas and ordnance, would leave the carrier and simply fall into the ocean. They quickly made some airframe design changes ( actually many, over time ), gave the engine a lot more power, and went to a four-bladed prop. From that time on, the pilots loved the plane.
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Hi Azzaro....

I'm with you about the P-51. It's also my favorite. I'm very fortunate to have another friend that owns on of them. It's named the " Sizzlin Liz " and is a fixture at many of the larger airshows around the country. I go up in it with him and I have to tell you, it's the most visceral experience I have in an aircraft. I can only dream about what it must have been like to go into combat in such a plane.

"I'm envious".......Two plans I always wanted to fly was a Waco and a P-51 ... I got to fly a Waco ...but never even got a ride in a P-51 let alone fly one...