Options

Wide Angle Lens Suggestions?

LKDesignsLKDesigns Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited May 16, 2008 in Accessories
I'm very :rolleyes confused & hope some of you all can help. I have wanted to buy this Canon 10-22mm wide angle lens for some time now. The pics it takes are amazing, but I'm a little turned off by spending that much, since it's taken me about 6 months to save up about $400 - still need about $300 more. I have noticed some other brands (Sigma, Phoenix) that take similar pictures, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for comparable lenses for a smaller price? I'm mainly interested for landscapes (on vacation), indoor real estate pictures (to get more of a room in a picture), and some fun perspectives on taking pics of my kids. And must be compatible with my Rebel xti. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited May 12, 2008
    I'm very happy with my Sigma 10-20mm, F4-5.6 EX DC HSM.

This is an example from the lens (after serious correction in PS that I knew I would have to do when I shot it, but which would be true of any lens of theis genre):

258640093_M8DVn-X3.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    tgelstontgelston Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    I am looking too. . .
    I want a wide angle too and after reading reviews and looking at sample pics I think
    Tokina AF 12-24mm will be my next lens!
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    @ ziggy
    ziggy, not commenting on any lack of quality in your pic, but just puzzled why you would put yourself through all the PP work using a very WA when you could have gotten very much the same result without any from, say, a 50mm prime? Or could you not?

Sorry my dumbness is showing.

Thanks.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    If cost is an issue, consider one of the alternative from the third party.
    $400 would probably get you a nice clean used Sigma 10-20 or a Tokina 12-24.
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    I use the Sigma 10-20 on my XTi and love it. It's very wide. IQ is allegedly on par with the Canon 10-22. You might be able to find a used one for less than $400.

Another option to consider would be the Sigma 12-24, it's not as wide on the XTi as the 10-20, but it will fit Canon's full frame sensor bodies (5d, 1d) if you upgrade bodies down the road. 12mm is crazy wide on FF, but it should be plenty wide on a crop sensor. The 10-20 Sigma won't work properly on a 5d or 1d.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited May 12, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    ziggy, not commenting on any lack of quality in your pic, but just puzzled why you would put yourself through all the PP work using a very WA when you could have gotten very much the same result without any from, say, a 50mm prime? Or could you not?

Sorry my dumbness is showing.

Thanks.

Neil

A longer lens would have required a greater distance from the subject and would have included more objectionable foreground elements (that you don't see because they are out of view.)

You are not dumb I am just very clever. (heh)

Seriously, it was the right tool for the task. A congested city street and trying to photograph a singular building might require the same technique.

BTW, you can accomplish something similar using a longer focal length lens, taking multiple images at regular steps and stitching the results ala panoramic technique.

Here is an example of 6 images stitched together:

294273430_dYS4a-L.jpg

... and this pano shows why. Notice how I eliminated the sign near the statue. (The sign is visible in the pano.):

http://www.clevr.com/pano/3761
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    ziggy, there's no argument you have a lot to offer!

There's a lot to look into in your last post and I'll get to that as soon as possible.

Apart from any considerations of extraneous and unwanted stuff in the frame, I still wonder if the results from a WA versus eg a 50mm prime would be worth the PP effort for the kind of shot you posted.

My dumbness showing again rolleyes1.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    tgelston wrote:
    I want a wide angle too and after reading reviews and looking at sample pics I think
    Tokina AF 12-24mm will be my next lens!

Excellent choice. :D Not that I'm biased or anything... The 12-24 is optically a match for the Canon, and I prefer the other aspects of the Tokina over the Canon. Really it gets down to is the 10-12mm range very important to you--it is for some people; if it isn't, get the Tokina. If it is, then it's the Canon or the Sigma (I wouldn't touch a Phoenix lens).
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Big fan of the Sigma 10-20 EX:

View some samples here...most are with that lens:

247502416_JDkNj-M-1.jpg

247492638_oyobi-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    I'm a very happy 10-22mm owner:
    291049992_SCFAT-L-1.jpg

From what I hear, the biggest differences between this one and the sigma are price (sigma) flare (canon, notice sun in the frame above) quality control (canon), and otherwise they're pretty much evenly matched. Having played with the sigma in stores I'd give it a miniscule edge in build quality over the canon. I don't think you can go wrong either way, I am very happy with the flare resistance of the canon, my wallet would have much preferred the sigma...
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    I love the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 ATX
    This is a great lens period, not just a great lens for the price. Of course, the fact that it is about 2/3 the price of the Canon 10-22mm with a lens hood; Tokina includes the lens hood - Canon doesn't - doesn't hurt me a bit.

I might consider the 11-17mm Tokina f/2.8 lens if I didn't own the f/4 model. However, the f/2.8 is the new kid on the block and is closer to the Canon 11-17mm in cost.

The 12-24mm suits me perfectly.

BTW: The last time I looked, the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 ATX lens cost right at $500 including a very nice lens hood.
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    rpcrowe wrote:
    This is a great lens period, not just a great lens for the price. Of course, the fact that it is about 2/3 the price of the Canon 10-22mm with a lens hood; Tokina includes the lens hood - Canon doesn't - doesn't hurt me a bit.

I might consider the 11-17mm Tokina f/2.8 lens if I didn't own the f/4 model. However, the f/2.8 is the new kid on the block and is closer to the Canon 11-17mm in cost.

The 12-24mm suits me perfectly.

I too have the Tokina 12/24, and in terms of build quality, it's as good as my Canon 24-105L f/4 (and that's one very well built lens).

If you check out the very thorough testing done by:

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/overview

what you will find is that IQ-wise it's as good as the Canon 10/22, is better built, and cost lest.

IOW, it's a best buy.

This doesn't mean dont' look at the Sigma or Tamron, but I'm sure you will never be disappointed with the Tokina.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Sigma 10-20 is my wide-angle weapon of choice. No complaints here thumb.gif