Options

First attempt at portraits

photojphotoj Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
edited May 15, 2008 in People
The other night I took my first stab at shooting portraits. I'd like to know what everyone thinks. The background was just one of our sheets but other than that let me know what you think.

294935875_zMrAG-M.jpg

Also a shout out to my family for putting up with me as I am learning. Especially when I convert the kitchen into a studio. :D
"Make it don't take it!"

Jason

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Not bad at all!

I think your wife needs more light, the right side and by her chin is really dark. But it is a good start!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Welcome to the wonderful world of studio portraiture!

Pros:
    • Nice family:-)
    • Great expressions
    • Nice group arrangement
    Cons
    • Backdrop is too close and due to its unevenness is distracting.
      Possible cure: iron; larger distance wetween the backdrop and your subjects (3-4 feet at least) + shallower DOF; careful post processing (large radius Gaussian Blur can do wonders:-)
    • Single light is too small for this group of 3, and it is positioned too close (to the boy), hence the strong light falloff across the group.
      Possible cure: bigger diffuser (and possibly more powerful light ) positioned further from the group
    All in all, pretty good for a first try! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    Thanks
    Not bad at all!

I think your wife needs more light, the right side and by her chin is really dark. But it is a good start!

I agree but still I liked the shot overall.
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    distance of background
    Nikolai wrote:

Pros:
    • Great expressions
    • Nice group arrangement
    Cons
      Possible cure: iron; larger distance wetween the backdrop and your subjects (3-4 feet at least) + shallower DOF; careful post processing (large radius Gaussian Blur can do wonders:-)
    • Single light is too small for this group of 3, and it is positioned too close (to the boy), hence the strong light falloff across the group.
      Possible cure: bigger diffuser (and possibly more powerful light ) positioned further from the group

I was thinking along the same lines. I was actually using a second flash that day, just not on this particular image. I'll remember the comments for the next shoot. Thanks.
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Nice family:-)
    Great expressions
    Nice group arrangement
    15524779-Ti.gif
    I think even just a reflector on the left something as simple a white foam-core would've helped.
    I really like your logo/avatar
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Pros:
    • Nice looking family - you are blessed
    • Good expressions - you captured something there that is sometimes hard to get
    • Nice triangular grouping

Cons:
    • Light to close to group
    • Shadow on off side - second light or a large reflector would fix that.
    • Light too low - makes un-flattering shadows on faces. Raise it to about 56 degrees above your grouping
    • Move models from the background and/or
    • Open the lens a bit to decrease the DOF
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    I agree about the background. it should be easy to select and fix in ps. drop it to pure white, or blur it.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    True
    beetle8 wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif
    I think even just a reflector on the left something as simple a white foam-core would've helped.
    I really like your logo/avatar

Yeah there needs to be more light on the left, Nikolai is right and so are you. I discarded one that had the better light on that side due to the fact that not everyone was smiling. AKA my wife.

As for the avatar, thanks. When I originally started my part-time, tax shelter, photo business I called it photoj.biz but many of the locals who were not very net savvy had trouble with the concept of a website that was not a .com. So this year when I re-registered I changed it. I kept the screen name for continuity and it fits. My name is Jason and I take photos, photoJ. Of course it has other meanings too, like photojournalism. The logo just kind of happened one day. It is one of the things I miss. I was branding the old site but the new name UKV Photos is harder to make a logo for. UKV stands for Upper Kanawha Valley. Still I need to come up with a new logo, for now I am just using the name. I have a few ideas but nothing has stuck yet.
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    Thanks...
    Pros:
    • Nice looking family - you are blessed
    • Good expressions - you captured something there that is sometimes hard to get
    • Nice triangular grouping
    Cons:
    • Light to close to group
    • Shadow on off side - second light or a large reflector would fix that.
    • Light too low - makes un-flattering shadows on faces. Raise it to about 56 degrees above your grouping
    • Move models from the background and/or
    • Open the lens a bit to decrease the DOF

I'd like to take credit for the grouping but this shot just happened. I had the gear set up and M was sitting in the seat playing his game boy. He got up, the other two came in and I turned around and they were all just posing for me. I shot the images. I was more working on learning the lights than the posing thing.
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    PS idea
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I agree about the background. it should be easy to select and fix in ps. drop it to pure white, or blur it.

I stated to take it out but didn't wanted to see what folsk thought. I should get time to rework that tomorrow night, I'll repost the results.
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Options
    jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Nice Pic....I am a big fan of the ghetto studio and have used it with varied success on my son many of times......Try it with a black sheet as well. I think the black sheet looks a little less like you are using a bed sheet and it does better in photoshop getting out the wrinkles.
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    Forgot something in the first reply
    Nikolai wrote:

Pros:
    • Great expressions
    • Nice group arrangement
    Cons

I forgot to say thanks in the first reply. Thank-you, I have enjoyed your work for some time it is nice of you to give me feedback.
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    sheet idea
    unclejon wrote:
    Nice Pic....I am a big fan of the ghetto studio and have used it with varied success on my son many of times......Try it with a black sheet as well. I think the black sheet looks a little less like you are using a bed sheet and it does better in photoshop getting out the wrinkles.

I have to admit this was a literal, ok I want to take a portriat session. I grabbed a sheet form the shelf, and some ducktape. I set up my gear and plopped poor M down on the chair and started snapping pics. He didn't mind I let him just playhis gameboy. The family shot happend when they saw what I was doing. I agree black might look better. When I remove the white in PS I will try black too.
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Options
    jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    photoj wrote:
    I have to admit this was a literal, ok I want to take a portriat session. I grabbed a sheet form the shelf, and some ducktape. I set up my gear and plopped poor M down on the chair and started snapping pics. He didn't mind I let him just playhis gameboy. The family shot happend when they saw what I was doing. I agree black might look better. When I remove the white in PS I will try black too.

Yea I have been using a 5 foot wooden curtain rod across 2 chairs and then drapping the sheet over it and using some clothsline hooks which sometimes I cannot even find. Needless to say we have studio malfunctions sometimes....rolleyes1.gif

i5D2B75EB-AF9F-4D0E-BAA1-BB0E5ED1F885.jpg
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com