Options

FNQ - reef and rainforest

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited May 19, 2008 in Journeys
as in: Far North Queensland.

We took advantage of the long weekend to take an even longer weekend trip, jetting up to Cairns to take in the wet tropics and the Great Barrier Reef. Our flight was at noon, and the weather was clear giving us our first look at the largest structure made my living organisms (it can be seen from outer space!). Very cool.

292558578_ypszS-L.jpg

We ambled around the city and met up with some friends who by chance had the same idea for their long weekend. Enjoyed a delicious meal together, complete with belly dancing :D

I woke up early the next morning to have a stroll around the waterfront.

292521443_MfNCM-M.jpg

The Cairns esplanade:

292933479_9UoLJ-XL.jpg

A good start to another beautiful day (what else would you expect from Queensland, really?). We decided to take a drive up to Port Douglas, a quaint seaside town at the entry to the Daintree National Park.

Four Mile Beach

292545865_EAjcy-L.jpg

Just be careful if you want to go swimming... No, that's not a newspaper tube, it's a bottle of vinegar.

292606683_QWoxL-M.jpg
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Options
    edited May 11, 2008
    Cairns and the nearby coast are immediately surrounded by hills, pretty big ones. Right after you get out of the ocean, the land goes up and there is large rainforest environment up on a plateau - called the tablelands. Makes for a great drive.

20km up a very winding road, you reach the small town of Kuranda where they have a scenic railway which also climbs up the hills from the coast:

292554520_avhCp-M.jpg

And if you pan right from the photo above (try to keep the train in mind for size reference), a pretty huge River gorge - Barron Falls (this was unfortunately VERY dry, normally this is absolutely raging!!!)

292542709_YKK9L-L.jpg

Further down the road in a protected rainforest section, we had a peak at a great example of a curtain fig - a typical sight in the bush around here although maybe not at this scale. Strangler figs climb up the larger gum trees creating a substantial network. In this case, its "curtain"-like.

292570017_W677M-L.jpg

292551850_sWLhr-M.jpg

A little bit further through the bush, we found this:

292612469_3xYWU-M.jpg

A volcanic crater lake, and it was filled with... FRESHwater!!! clap.gif I haven't had a swim in freshwater since leaving North America almost a year ago. Strange but true. There's not much in the way of lakes and rivers around Brisbane. It took all of about 5 seconds before I was in...

292523672_GXXQV-M.jpg

No sharks, no rips, no stingers... I have nothing against salt, and I looove the Queensland beaches, but man, for a New England boy who grew up with ponds and creeks, this was nice. :D

292608141_oGayh-M.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited May 11, 2008
    Rainforests and tablelands are great, but let's get real, you come to Cairns to head out to the Great Barrier Reef. Our view for the 60km cruise out to the nearest reef:

292599279_5D6S7-M.jpg

Arrival at the first coral cay - Michaelmas Cay. We picked this trip primarily for this reason, it givs not so-confident ocean swimmers a chance to warm up to reef snorkeling by starting on a sandy beach and going in at their own speed. MrsIt was pleased. :D The other reef locations are essentially just a spot in the ocean where the reef comes close to the surface and all around nothing but much deeper water - a bit intimidating for some.

(bit of a quality dip in photos here as I switch from the very capable but NON-waterproof G9 to my rusty trusty underwater Optio).

292580560_rUNdq-M.jpg

In we go:

292601529_rfADM-S.jpg292598924_jqVMq-S.jpg292556826_f5vbP-S.jpg292610745_j53Mf-M.jpg
    292570693_qvaVx-M.jpg

Our ship, a really nice catamaran, the "Passions of Paradise"

292531408_vYwZh-M.jpg
    292576297_wazCS-M.jpg

We lucked out. The weather out at the reef was gorgeous all day. Not quite so as we headed back into Cairns harbor:

292613284_w8z2e-M.jpg

292559832_FoSxR-M.jpg

What a great trip. :D We headed back home the next afternoon so just enjoyed a leisurely afternoon around Cairns and at a nearby spot called Crystal Cascades. Then it was back to Brisbane, and work, boooo.
    Erik

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    bowdown.gif

I wanna go there!! Take me with you next time!! Not just with pictures!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Looks like you had a great time. I've never been to North QLD.. It looks nice :D
    It's a shame the GBR is 'under attack' from those crown-of-thorn starfish and rising water temp. Coral is amazing. Reminds me of my sister and brother in law's large marine aquarium with lots of amazing tropical fish and anemones.

Some great shots here thumb.gif
    Jethro :D
    My Blog
    Jethro Kingston Photography
    Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    Jet wrote:
    Some great shots here thumb.gif
    Thanks mate.

You should definitely get up there - as far as travel destinations go, I have to say it was a bargain. Including things like the snorkeling and even renting a car, we spent far less up there than we did on a quick trip to Sydney a few months ago, where all we did was walk around.
    Erik

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    good for you!thumb.gif that looks to have been a great outing!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    good for you!thumb.gif that looks to have been a great outing!
    beats work, thats for sure lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Very cool !!!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited May 13, 2008
    You went on vacation?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    You went on vacation?
    I missed you too. wave.gif
    Erik

• Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Looks like a great trip. Nice photos to remember it by. Those strangler figs look really cool, never saw any plants like that before.
  • Options
    Lesley BrayLesley Bray Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Great photos - thanks for the memories - have been there many times beforeclap.gif
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    Very nice Erik :D

I especially like the underwater shots. That world of color only happens in the drink doesn't it.

An old Pentax Optio eh? How deep? I've been planning to make a 'splash bag' that could take my dlsr to 3 feet down or so, this is yet another reminder that I need to get off my whatsit and order the parts lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Very nice Erik :D

I especially like the underwater shots. That world of color only happens in the drink doesn't it.

An old Pentax Optio eh? How deep? I've been planning to make a 'splash bag' that could take my dlsr to 3 feet down or so, this is yet another reminder that I need to get off my whatsit and order the parts lol3.gif
    Thanks!

Funny, you should mention it... that world of color also only happens with some serious levels and curves adjustment! When I took those photos off my card, they were literally all just blue. Even a quick auto levels adjustment, however, very quickly revealed the actual world I saw down there. Very cool.

Deep: 1-2m, maximum. Just snorkeling. I don't recall what the rating on the Optio WP is, but I'm pretty sure I took it to the limit. That's the good part of it being "old" and "cheap", I don't worry about it as much.
    Erik

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Thanks!

Funny, you should mention it... that world of color also only happens with some serious levels and curves adjustment! When I took those photos off my card, they were literally all just blue. Even a quick auto levels adjustment, however, very quickly revealed the actual world I saw down there. Very cool.

Deep: 1-2m, maximum. Just snorkeling. I don't recall what the rating on the Optio WP is, but I'm pretty sure I took it to the limit. That's the good part of it being "old" and "cheap", I don't worry about it as much.

Haha, shows my snorkeling experience comes from tv lol3.gif
    There's always a layer of adjustment to get from what camera recorded to what you saw.

0-2m is about how deep I was thinking of. I looked up the Optio WP and they say 1.5 meters down max. There's a lot happening in that first meter though :D

What I want to do is waterline shots and, after failing it last summer, shooting goldeneyes and their chicks (and possibly other diving birds) in the drink. I've actually got the bag part, but I should order a big step-up ring with a window fitted to it and then attach the bag to that to make a rudimentary diving kit.

See how inspiring your shots are? :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:

Just be careful if you want to go swimming... No, that's not a newspaper tube, it's a bottle of vinegar.

292606683_QWoxL-M.jpg

Cool stuff doc ..im glad you liked your visit. Been a long time since ive been up that way. Good time of year to avoid the stingers also....not a creature to be messed with.
  • Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Erik!
    Spasibo (Thank you) for your interesting report!
    I also use Pentax W30 for underwater along with SONY R1 for 'over' photos.
    Agree - autolevels make underwater photo filled with color!
    This time I was in Turkey and after Red sea with corals, the Mediterranean sea looked 'dead' for me...
    Again thank you,
    Yuri
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Cool stuff doc ..im glad you liked your visit.
    It was great. I'd love to go back on a GS and explore more of the tablelands and up the Daintree. nod.gif

And cheers, Yuri, thanks for stopping by! thumb.gif
    Erik