Options

Nikon lens questions - take pity on me

ktdidktdid Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited May 19, 2008 in Cameras
Hey, new at this...please don't point and laugh.

Ziggy offered some great advice and suggested I post to get others' input. So here I am. He kindly did not call me a moron, and I hope you won't either. :)

I recently bought a D80, so the N60 I have will be getting passed along to my mom. I have a 28-80 and a 70-300 that I used with my N60 and that I now use with my D80. There's no sense in giving my mom a camera body with no lens, so I'd like to give her the 28-80. Question is, with what do I replace it? And, if you would, please kindly tell me why you are making a particular recommendation.

Your help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    ktdid wrote:
    Hey, new at this...please don't point and laugh.

Ziggy offered some great advice and suggested I post to get others' input. So here I am. He kindly did not call me a moron, and I hope you won't either. :)

I recently bought a D80, so the N60 I have will be getting passed along to my mom. I have a 28-80 and a 70-300 that I used with my N60 and that I now use with my D80. There's no sense in giving my mom a camera body with no lens, so I'd like to give her the 28-80. Question is, with what do I replace it? And, if you would, please kindly tell me why you are making a particular recommendation.

Your help is much appreciated!
    No moron questions here..
    Welcome to dgrin wave.gif

How much do you want to or are willing to spend? THere's allot of great glass out there. But no use suggesting one if you can't afford it :D
  • Options
    nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    Well, depending on your budget, the 18-70 would make a nice start, it's fairly decent for a kit lens. I got mine in the Flea Market here :D You can probably find one under $200 now used.

Nikon Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX $329.95
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/324190-USA/Nikon_2149_18_70mm_f_3_5_4_5_G_AFS_ED_IF.html

D50, 18-70mm, cool crisp September morning by Lake Muskegon

elders_sun29a_jump03.jpg

Saturday Afternoon Shot Lake Muskegon weekend

Muskegon-01a.jpg

Same location as sun started setting

Muskegon-02a.jpg

Muskegon-09a.jpg

The 16-85 VR would be a good choice as well, more expensive though, I don't have one, but I've seen great work from it. VR is Vibration Reduction, used when hand holding your camera instead of using a tripod :)

Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor Lens $649.00
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/545654-USA/Nikon_2178_16_85mm_f_3_5_5_6G_ED_VR.html

Now for a couple of primes, you can't go wrong with the 50mm f1.8 or the 85mm f1.8 as well:

Nikon Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens $109.95
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247091-USA/Nikon_2137_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html

Nikon Telephoto AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens $399.95
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/84151-USA/Nikon_1931_Telephoto_AF_Nikkor_85mm.html

If you are looking to buy them used and you can't find them in the flea market, a good source for used would be keh.com

Definitely ask more questions if you need to :)
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2008
    Nice shots, nightowlcat! I particularly like the personality in the first one. You're just across the lake from me...I'm in Racine, WI.

As far as what I can spend, I would say I'm comfortable parting with $200 - $300ish. If I found what I thought was something I could use very happily for a very long time, I'd probably be willing to spend just a bit more, but I think that's about as far as I can stretch the budget right now.

One of the things that is both intriguing and frustrating for me about photography is that there are SO MANY VARIABLES. The same is obviously true for lenses.
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    I've got a older kit lens from a nikon film camera I use.
    You could give that to her, I think it's a 28-70
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2008
    Thanks! Just shot you a PM.
  • Options
    FrostFrost Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    I use a Tamron 28-200 XR (IF) Zoom lens on my Nikon D80 that came off my Nikon D50. It is a digitally integrated lens, suitable for either full frame FX (35mm) or DX camera's like the D80. Advantage of it, is that since it has a larger image circle to support the larger film size of 35mm/FX format it has more of the center of the image that is captured by my Nikon D80's sensor.

Here is a good example, as a "for instance": Take a plate and put a 5X7 photo in it. That 5X7 would be like the image circle on a FX or 35mm designed lens. Enough to cover the image. Now, take the 5x7 off and put a 4X6 picture on there. Now you have the image circle of the FX/35mm but the actual image taking is now closer to the center. The sharpest part of a lens is in it's center of the image circle.

Now, if you replace those pictures (4x5 and 5x7) and put an 8 X 10 on that same plate you might have a bit of overlap (depending on the plate) This is what happens if you try to use an DX designed lens on a full frame 35mm/FX format camera. Now your edges will have shading and the lens will need stopped down just to get a respectable image. Corners are at maximum distance from center,so if the lens is any soft it will really show up there.

Point of all this, is that you might be able to find a used 28-200 or 28-300 zoom lens for a decent price. Tamron now makes a 28-300 VC (vibration compensation) model that you would find extremely sharp and useful. It, too, is in full frame design as well as digitally integrated.

Try going to a camera shop and take some pictures with some lenses that you think you might like. Go home and look at them in your computer after you have downloaded them from the camera. Personally, I use a simple USB stick that holds the SD card and transfers into the computer about 20X faster than the cable. Cost me all of $1.99 from newegg.com and I have 2. One for me and one for my daughter's Canon camera. Carry it along with me in the bag at all time.
    I went to a camera store and tried out a couple of lenses I was interested in, and posted the informal result here in this forum: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=94071

Welcome!!wings.gif

BTW, is that a cat on your neck?:D
    Cheers!
    Vern

Nikon D80 w/ Tamron 28-200 XR lens & Nikon 55-200VR, 4X5 Graphic View II, others
    http://vernsdidj.com Didgeridoo site with links and pictures.

I started out in life with nothing, and I've managed to keep most of it.

• Options
    edited May 18, 2008
    Alright, from reading this and the other post you referenced, it sounds like you are recommending the 28-300 (judging by your other post and the related pictures, rightfully so) and it sounds like that could replace both the lenses (28-80 and 70-300) that I have now.

Now there's a thought.

Yes, that's a cat...that was Luau. We had to put her down back in March, but we still have Sushi to keep us company. He's pretty naughty, but he'll do. :)
  • Options
    FrostFrost Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    ktdid, I just stumbled across this at the dpreview forum and it shows some remarkable pictures of the 28-300 VC zoom lens. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1030&message=27971567

One of the most intersting features of these Tamron lenses I have mentioned is their ability to close focus and the Marcro is amazing. 19.3 inches through the entire zoom range. At PopPhotos website, they said this about the macro capability: "1:2.33 at 300mm -- significantly more power than Tamron's 1:3 published spec."
    Quite a unique lens.
    Cheers!
    Vern

Nikon D80 w/ Tamron 28-200 XR lens & Nikon 55-200VR, 4X5 Graphic View II, others
    http://vernsdidj.com Didgeridoo site with links and pictures.

I started out in life with nothing, and I've managed to keep most of it.

• Options
    edited May 18, 2008
    Wow. Some nice pics with that lens.

There are a few on eBay, with a pretty wide variance in prices. Imported vs. USA...does it matter?

Thank you again for the ongoing advice!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
    edited May 18, 2008
    ktdid wrote:
    Wow. Some nice pics with that lens.

There are a few on eBay, with a pretty wide variance in prices. Imported vs. USA...does it matter?

Thank you again for the ongoing advice!

The Tamron 28-300mm, F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO does seem to be an interesting lens, but only the "VC" version of the lens. Previous versions I would not recommend.

It is still a rather slow lens with apertures that stop down considerably as you progress to the long end.

I, personally, would much rather have a lens like the Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR Di II with the constant aperture and much faster aperture throughout as well as having the very useful 17mm for indoor use as well as the usual landscape use.

The 17-50mm, coupled with your existing 70-300mm lens, gives you an aweful lot of quality until around 200mm. After that, things do get a bit soft.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    Yup, Budgets are a killer, but get what you can afford now to get your shots (and congrats on the D80 and giving your mom your 28-80 lens to go with the N60 camera to get her started!)

I was just visiting Muskegon that weekend for the Irish Music Festival and snapped those, the band is from KCMO.

The difference between imported and USA is in the warranties for Nikon lenses, imported lenses don't get the 5 year warranty new like the USA do, and for warranty service you would send it back to the store you purchased it from in order to get warranty service if it needed it.

For best bang for the buck, either the 18-70 or tamron 17-50 would be my choice, heck, I may add the 17-50 to my bag by fall myself, I've got enough cameras to tack it on :D
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    This is a lens to give your mom?

If so, you can't do much better than the Nikkor 18-70mm zoom. You should be able to find a nice, used copy for $225. Hard to beat this one for the money.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    This is a lens to give your mom?

If so, you can't do much better than the Nikkor 18-70mm zoom. You should be able to find a nice, used copy for $225. Hard to beat this one for the money.

Oh, heck no. :) This is a lens for *me* so I can give her the 28-80 that came with the N60 to begin with. (Is that bad? eek7.gif )

Ok, so I have one vote for the 28-300, two votes for the 17-50 (which I am reeeally leaning toward), one offer for a kit lens from a film camera (thank you! I'm still thinking!). Geez, confuse a girl, why dontcha!