Options

1DMkII battery advice needed...

turkishturkish Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited March 27, 2005 in Cameras
Next week I'm leaving for a month-long motorcycle trip in Asia. While gear space and weight is at a premium, I'll be taking my 1DMkII, a 24-70L and maybe a 70-300DO. The DO is heavy and I might decide to leave it behind. Anyway, my conundrum is what to do about batteries for the 1DMkII...

The charger is pretty big and bulky and I'm wondering if I'd be better off taking four charged batteries with me rather than two batteries and a charger. That would give me about one battery per week for the trip. I'll have a portable hard disk/screen (Jobo Giga Vu Pro) for review purposes and I plan to carry the small but annoying power brick for that.

The question I can't answer is whether the Ni-MH batteries will discharge themselves significantly (even without use) over the course of a month. If that's the case, I'm probably better off taking the charger.

Any suggestions from the dgrin brain trust?

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    two batteries vs the charger? Seems like you won't save much by leaving the charger at home. Bring it. That way you can't be sorry. Make sure to bring the right ac adapter so you can actually plug it in!
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wmsnyderwmsnyder Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    turkish wrote:
    Next week I'm leaving for a month-long motorcycle trip in Asia. While gear space and weight is at a premium, I'll be taking my 1DMkII, a 24-70L and maybe a 70-300DO. The DO is heavy and I might decide to leave it behind. Anyway, my conundrum is what to do about batteries for the 1DMkII...

The charger is pretty big and bulky and I'm wondering if I'd be better off taking four charged batteries with me rather than two batteries and a charger. That would give me about one battery per week for the trip. I'll have a portable hard disk/screen (Jobo Giga Vu Pro) for review purposes and I plan to carry the small but annoying power brick for that.

The question I can't answer is whether the Ni-MH batteries will discharge themselves significantly (even without use) over the course of a month. If that's the case, I'm probably better off taking the charger.

Any suggestions from the dgrin brain trust?
    I agree the size of two batteries is not much smaller if any than the charger itself. I have been using a Delkin replacement battery in my mkII and it last longer than the canon batteries even when I leave it in the camera for long periods. Here is a link where I purchased mine.
    https://www.nppa.org/assets/applications/Template.cfm?&Template=Ecommerce/ProductDisplay.cfm&Productid=386
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    Hard question to answer, Turkish. Based on personal experience, I'd guess that the loss of charge isn't significant. As you know, the batts last quite a while. And I've used batts that have sat for 3-4 weks, and not noticed a substantial loss of performance.

The one variable you don't mention is your shooting style. Are you a one-a-day guy, or will you be shooting hundreds of shots?

Personally, I go along with the others in saying the security and unlimited juice of 2 batts + charger is a lot more appealing than having a finite resource you're trying to ration. It's lighter, too.

Where ya goin'? This sounds fantastic.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    I will vote for two batteries, plus the charger. I rarely run down a battery shooting several hundred shots in a day, but I don't think I would want to risk not having any juice at the end of my trip.

This is one area where a 20D is a great camera (when traveling space it tight). The batteries are smaller and so is the charger. I have been thinking about a smaller camera 20d or 350D for a travel camera on the bike or hiking, it would be a lot more user friendly. So talk to andy, buy a 20D and a spare battery for the trip, the 10-22 lens, use them and then sell them when you get back (andy can help with selling equipment too). :D

It sounds like you have a good trip planned, keep us posted.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 26, 2005
    Turky,

I would take two batteries plus the charger. You don't say how often you'll
    be able to plug in but I gather often enough. With the 2x batteries, you should
    be able to get several thousand shots (do you chimp/delete in the field? That
    might lower the number.). I almost regret spending the money on a second
    battery.

If you've got a power outlet on the katoom, you might consider an inverter
    if travel has you away from civilization for too long. Charge on the run.

Have a great trip.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    Ni-MH batteries
    This is my first post with Dgrins.
    With regard to the batteries I agree with all the others. Take a charger. The Ni-MH batteries have a lot of power and take hundreds of charges. However, they have little shelf life before the voltage starts to drop. Nothing worse than having a pocker full of batteries only to find that they are dead.
    Perhaps it was here I read a thread regarding a solar charger from Good Stuff. They sell a portable pannel that can be attached to your back pack. About two days in the sun will do the trick. One model will hold four batteries.
    Go wi th the sage advice of the elders, batteries and charger.:D
    Bob
    Bob
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2005
    KA0TVO wrote:
    This is my first post with Dgrins.
    Welcome aboard!

Ian
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2005
    Thanks for the advice, folks. I'm going back to Cambodia again this year. On the last trip I only got to the major towns, but for this trip I plan to get out into the country.

You're right, the batteries are heavier than the charger plus cord. The charger is more bulky though. Since I'm trying to get all my gear down to what will fit in a small dry bag and a knapsack, I was thinking more about the volume than the weight.

Decisions, decisions. The tough one is that 70-300DO--it feels like it's made out of cast iron.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    turkish wrote:
    Decisions, decisions. The tough one is that 70-300DO--it feels like it's made out of cast iron.
    I'd take the 70-300 if you can. Its is a little heavy, but you get alot of extra focal lenghts in a fairly small package. Good luck with your trip.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2005
    I'm going to go against the general suggestion of taking a charger and two batteries and say I'd take the four batteries and leave the charger.

I'd refresh and charge all four the night before leaving. Cut down the on camera screen view or turn it off and even consider such things as turning off the on camera sharpening which can save battery power.

The charger is a pain to carry much bigger (with cables and adapters) than two batteries and the nuber of shots I've seen quoted per battery can be well over a thousand. Did you charge and discharge the batteies three time when new?

Your taking a power brick for the Jobo Giga Vu Pro is there an eos power cable available? I use the Digitalcamerabattery 60w and run my eos from that at times.

For the bike I think the batteries are best if your in the countryside is there even anywhere to charge from?...Use them wisely and save power unless your gonna shoot over 4 or 5 thousand shots you should be ok..

Bod...ne_nau.gif
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2005
    Yahbut...two more batteries will be $USD230. Maybe half if you buy no-name
    batteries.

Ian
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2005
    Bodwick wrote:
    I'm going to go against the general suggestion of taking a charger and two batteries and say I'd take the four batteries and leave the charger.

I'd refresh and charge all four the night before leaving. Cut down the on camera screen view or turn it off and even consider such things as turning off the on camera sharpening which can save battery power.

The charger is a pain to carry much bigger (with cables and adapters) than two batteries and the nuber of shots I've seen quoted per battery can be well over a thousand. Did you charge and discharge the batteies three time when new?

Your taking a power brick for the Jobo Giga Vu Pro is there an eos power cable available? I use the Digitalcamerabattery 60w and run my eos from that at times.

For the bike I think the batteries are best if your in the countryside is there even anywhere to charge from?...Use them wisely and save power unless your gonna shoot over 4 or 5 thousand shots you should be ok..

Bod...ne_nau.gif
    Interesting point about the sharpening. I always shoot RAW now, so do you think the camera is going to burn juice sharpening something even if I don't use .jpgs?

I think the OEM battery is good for 1,000 exposures if you don't run the display too much or use IS lenses. I've got some of the knockoff batteries that use 2200 MAh cells and I don't know how long they last because I've never actually run one dry from normal use. I doubt that I'd be able to use up four fully charged batteries on a month-long trip.

Even so, It turns out the charger and cords fit perfectly in a spare Sigma flash bag--nice and tidy. It doesn't make the charger any smaller, but it's easier to pack now.

The JOBO power brick puts out 9V which is too little voltage to run the 1D. On the other hand, I could probably hack the Canon charger to include a 9V output and thus avoid multiple bricks.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Yahbut...two more batteries will be $USD230. Maybe half if you buy no-name
    batteries.

Ian
    I've got these ($35), and they work quite well:
    http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.-109/it.A/id.449/.f
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2005
    I take my charger anytime I will be out for more than 24 hours. You may wish to have a power inverter so that you can charge the batteries through a 12v car adapter.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2005
    turkish wrote:
    Looks like they may have gone wheels up. But at $35, I'd buy them if they
    were as good as the Canon or Belkin sub.

Ian