Monster Trucks

hutchmanhutchman Major grinsPosts: 255Registered Users Major grins
edited March 31, 2004 in Landscapes
Went to the Monster Trucks tonight with the new 10d. Did not have enough light and ended up shooting at ASA 400. Was not close enough to get really great action. Enough of this whining.

The 10d rocks. I could not have gotton the images I did with my Sony due to shutter lag. With this camera, you wait until you see what you want and pull the trigger. Instant exposure! No lag. I am really looking forward to taking some motorsports shots with this camera!

Carolina crusher in the air!

3117207-L.jpg

Again!

3117206-L.jpg

I've had it one day and I'm in love.

Hutch

Comments

  • fishfish Site Megalodon Posts: 2,950Registered Users Major grins
    edited March 28, 2004
    Nice! You'll notice that there's very little difference between ISO400 and ISO800 in terms of noise on the 10D, so you can gain another stop pretty easily.

    In fact, ISO1600 doesn't look too bad either! This one was shot at ISO1600 under fluorescent lighting.

    2954384-M.jpg

    I'm going to try pushing to 3200 one of these days for the heck of it.

    Don't forget to use a custom white balance setting under funky lighting conditions like fluorescent, tungsten, sodium vapor, etc.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • ruttrutt Cave canem! Posts: 6,511Registered Users Major grins
    edited March 28, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Don't forget to use a custom white balance setting under funky lighting conditions like fluorescent, tungsten, sodium vapor, etc.
    I agree with Fish about the shots (nice), but I disagree (at least a little) about the white balance. You can compensate for this in postprocessing, even if you shoot jpegs instead of raw. There are any color correction techniques that can neutralize points in the shot known to be neutral will remove the cast and acheive the same effect more surely than playing with white balance, which is an inexact science at best. You can use cureves in photoshop if you know what you are doing (but it is the tip of a rather large iceberg) or you can use something like iCorrect if you aren't ready for that. iCorrect does a pretty good job of cast removal if you don't want the fun, challenge, and frustration of learning color enhancement; certainly it can do a better job than fooling with the white balace while shooting.
    If not now, when?
  • lynnmalynnma Moddess Emeritus Homosassa, Florida (Paradise)Posts: 5,163Registered Users, Retired Mod
    edited March 28, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Nice! You'll notice that there's very little difference between ISO400 and ISO800 in terms of noise on the 10D, so you can gain another stop pretty easily.

    In fact, ISO1600 doesn't look too bad either! This one was shot at ISO1600 under fluorescent lighting.

    2954384-M.jpg

    I'm going to try pushing to 3200 one of these days for the heck of it.

    Don't forget to use a custom white balance setting under funky lighting conditions like fluorescent, tungsten, sodium vapor, etc.
    Fish, whats the disadvantages of fast ISO.. are we talking noise? I mean I don't see any here.. I assumed it would be noise, can you clarify for a noob..
    Thanks
  • fishfish Site Megalodon Posts: 2,950Registered Users Major grins
    edited March 28, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Fish, whats the disadvantages of fast ISO.. are we talking noise? I mean I don't see any here.. I assumed it would be noise, can you clarify for a noob..
    Thanks
    Lynn,

    Think of ISO as film speed. The faster (more sensitive) the film, the faster a shutter speed you can use to get an equivalent exposure. With film, fast ISO usually means increased grain. With digital sensors, the grain comes in the form of increased noise. Some cameras do well at high ISO and some don't.

    Does that help?

    Good article on ISO here.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • wxwaxwxwax Immoderator Posts: 15,471Registered Users Major grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    certainly it can do a better job than fooling with the white balace while shooting.
    You only need to fool with it once, unless the lighting changes. headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
Sign In or Register to comment.