Options

How long does a Lens Last

tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
edited June 18, 2008 in Cameras
Just for my own sanity, because i hear about ERR 99 stories when a lens dies. About how long can i expect an L lens to last? 100,000 pictures? 200,000?

The specific one that I am talking about is my 70-200mm 2.8 L IS
(I've noticed that my zoom ring is a lot looser than in the past sometimes a microscopic movements longways along the barrel)

Also I am looking into getting the 24-70 2.8 soon. It seems that this lens b/c of its moving parts might last less long??

I've heard that many third party lenses AF motos go bad after a while...

Just a thought and was wondering what you all have to say on the topic or stories about it.
5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com

Comments

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Good build lenses last decades ... http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00MzD8
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Well short of dropping them, getting them soaking wet or getting hit with a paint ball a lens should last your life time with proper care. I've got AF Tokina ATX lens that I've had for close to 15 years now and they work just fine.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Yep. My answer is virtually forever--particularly L lenses. I have a 50/1.8 Mk I, which I infer was current from 1987-1990 (from Canon's museum site. Mk I noted as marketed 1987, Mk II 1990)--so my lens is anywhere from being draft-legal to drinking legal (18-21 yrs). :D Guess what? Even being among the cheapest of Canon's lenses it still works perfectly.

Add to that, my old Minolta AF lenses from the '80s still work fine. With proper care, lenses are among the longest-lived camera pieces--which is why I usually say look to the glass first, that stays around while bodies come & go.
  • Options
    APKAPK Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    lens last?
    Probably longer than the system it is used on. I have FD lenses from 67 that are still fine although I have no camera to use them with.
    tjstrider wrote:
    Just for my own sanity, because i hear about ERR 99 stories when a lens dies. About how long can i expect an L lens to last? 100,000 pictures? 200,000?

The specific one that I am talking about is my 70-200mm 2.8 L IS
    (I've noticed that my zoom ring is a lot looser than in the past sometimes a microscopic movements longways along the barrel)

Also I am looking into getting the 24-70 2.8 soon. It seems that this lens b/c of its moving parts might last less long??

I've heard that many third party lenses AF motos go bad after a while...

Just a thought and was wondering what you all have to say on the topic or stories about it.
    AlanPK
    Bodies: 5D, D60, G9,
    Lenses: 16-35L f2.8, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L IS f2.8, 85LII f1.2, 100 f2.0, 135L f2.0, 300L f4.0, 50CM f2.5 + LSC, 24 f3.5L TS-E
    Misc: 1.4TC, 580EX, MR-14EX
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    And take care of them so they don't grow funguses.

Send it to Canon let them check it out.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    And take care of them so they don't grow funguses.

Send it to Canon let them check it out.

How long is the warranty on a lens? What is a typical charge from Canon if they need to repair something on a lens?
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    How long is the warranty on a lens? What is a typical charge from Canon if they need to repair something on a lens?

Usualy 1 year. But you can buy extended warranties up too 5 years at some shops.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    I think the warranty on some lenses is 5 years. I know it is on some of my Nikors. A lens should and, will out live the newer camera bodies by a few generations. Providing you dont abuse them too much.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    I really don't know what they charge if out of warranty. I was fortunate in that I drove to them and they fixed and cleaned all my stuff for free (XTi, 70-200 2.8, 28-135, & 580EX. All my Canon stuff has a 1 year. There are plenty of extended warranty options though.

Honestly, if they died that fast, they would have no resale value. I see some used lenses going for almost full price. lol.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I really don't know what they charge if out of warranty. I was fortunate in that I drove to them and they fixed and cleaned all my stuff for free (XTi, 70-200 2.8, 28-135, & 580EX. All my Canon stuff has a 1 year. There are plenty of extended warranty options though.

Honestly, if they died that fast, they would have no resale value. I see some used lenses going for almost full price. lol.

All the lenses I use were purchased used through dgrin. Amen.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    All the lenses I use were purchased used through dgrin. Amen.

ditto on that one. The only exception was the 28-135. But I wasn't a dgrinner when I bought that at that time. :cry But I have seen the light!

I think if you take good care of your lenses and equipment they can last a very long time.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    francisalbericfrancisalberic Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2008
    Lens life
    I have a Leitz Summitar (1951) still going strong. I expect it to last longer than me. The same with my Elmar.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    I have two tokina manual focus zoom lenses from probably about the early 80s that are still going strong, on my Nikon FE
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    The question raised on this thread is a very good one. Comments on how long old lenses last are pretty irrelevant though, when you consider that todays lenses are crammed full of electronics, accelerometers and even motors. It remains to be seen how long these little jewels will last. My guess is "not as long as your grandfather's lenses."
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    well...
    I am about to buy a 1994 September manufactured lens... for more than a little amount of money... so I guess we'll hope and pray that the AF stays accurate for a long time.
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    I own some Nikon lenses bought in 1974 which I don't use anymore since I moved to digital.
    They are inside a case where it is supposed not to be any humidity.
    However, the 200mm has some fungus on inside.
    I think if I would go to shoot with the lens the fungus wouldn't be noticed and would give a nice picture.
    43291145_Jy8BR-S-2.jpg
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Yep. My answer is virtually forever--particularly L lenses. I have a 50/1.8 Mk I, which I infer was current from 1987-1990 (from Canon's museum site. Mk I noted as marketed 1987, Mk II 1990)--so my lens is anywhere from being draft-legal to drinking legal (18-21 yrs). :D Guess what? Even being among the cheapest of Canon's lenses it still works perfectly.

I agree that lenses, properly cared for will last a long-long time, far longer than well used camera bodies.

I also agree that the 50mm f/1.8 Mark-I is an oldie - but goodie! In fact, a used Mark-I is a heck of a lot better value than the new Mark-II which replaced it. That is why an older Mark-I will cost you more than a new Mark-II. The entire reason for the cheap build of the Mark-II along with deleting the focus scale was to provide an el-cheapo lens to package with the lowest line Canon EOS Rebel film cameras to make an inexpensive SLR package available.

However, SIGMA Canon mount lenses will last only as long as the present model is being distributed and or until you buy a newer model Canon DSLR. The lenses won't go bad, it's just that Sigma's policy of reverse engineering often prevents an older Sigma lens from working with a new Canon DSLR. Sigma will rechip their lenses for the new cameras as long as they are producing that lens but, not afterwards. I have an otherwise nice Sigma 28mm f/1.8 lens that cannot be used on any camera later than the Canon 10D. Since Sigma replaced the lens with a new model, they will not or cannot rechip the lens for more up-to-date Canon DSLR cameras.

IMO, buying Sigma is entering a lottery and betting that they will not replace the lens before you want to replace the camera.