Options

mixed bag

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 31, 2004 in Holy Macro
hi guys...here are some of the first shots from my canon rebel i bought over the weekend.

the brooklyn bridge
3047401-M.jpg

light and shadow play - grand central terminal
3047407-M.jpg

mystery woman, bryant park
3047403-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 24, 2004
    andy wrote:
    hi guys...here are some of the first shots from my canon rebel i bought over the weekend.

the brooklyn bridge
    3047401-M.jpg

3047407-M.jpg

3047403-M.jpg
    Nice shots Andy - I asked previously, now that you have a Sony 828 8 Mgpx and a Canon 300D 6Mgpx, how does the image quality of them compare. OR could you post a identical image shot with each camera for comparison?
    I use a 10D but as I said earlier, the IR ability of the 828 is very interesting and the Zeiss lens and compact size compared to a full bore digital SLR is also interesting. Come on now - give us some opinions here, Pleeese!?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    andy,

I'm considering putting you on my ignore list so I wont have to see your pictures and realize how crappy my pictures are.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    andy wrote:

the brooklyn bridge

Funny thing.... my digital rebel doesn't take pictures like that....headscratch.gifne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nice shots Andy - I asked previously, now that you have a Sony 828 8 Mgpx and a Canon 300D 6Mgpx, how does the image quality of them compare. OR could you post a identical image shot with each camera for comparison?
    I use a 10D but as I said earlier, the IR ability of the 828 is very interesting and the Zeiss lens and compact size compared to a full bore digital SLR is also interesting. Come on now - give us some opinions here, Pleeese!?

i'm sorry i missed your previous question headscratch.gif

anyhow - as to quality. the sony 828 has outstanding image quality, i've made some really good images from it! i print them big, too. 16x20 and a few postersize as well. the quality is just fantastic. so is the canon rebel. the cmos has a different feel to it, more creamy, more fuji-velvia like i would say. the rebel does things (high iso with low noise) that the 828 can't do.

i'm not comparing shots for you - sorry - i don't do that. i can tell you that the quality is great from both of my cameras and i'm glad i have both. the 828 for the swivel body, take anywhere no fuss etc and infrared, and the rebel for everything else that i can do with my 50mm f/1.4 lens (indoors, very low light shots with no flash ;)) my 28-135 image stabilizer lens, and my soon to get 300mm telephoto.

i have images from my 828 that fool the canon folk all the time ;)

they're different cameras mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    andy wrote:

anyhow - as to quality. the sony 828 has outstanding image quality, i've made some really good images from it! i print them big, too. 16x20 and a few postersize as well. the quality is just fantastic. so is the canon rebel. the cmos has a different feel to it, more creamy, more fuji-velvia like i would say. the rebel does things (high iso with low noise) that the 828 can't do.

i'm not comparing shots for you - sorry - i don't do that. i can tell you that the quality is great from both of my cameras and i'm glad i have both. the 828 for the swivel body, take anywhere no fuss etc and infrared, and the rebel for everything else that i can do with my 50mm f/1.4 lens (indoors, very low light shots with no flash ;)) my 28-135 image stabilizer lens, and my soon to get 300mm telephoto.

i have images from my 828 that fool the canon folk all the time ;)

Thanks for your answer, Andy - that helps me decide- I have been considering the 828 for just the reasons you mentioned, but have held off because of image quality concerns, 8 Mgpixels or not. If you are making 16x20 that is good enough for me. I think I may have to sell my G5 to make the switch......

Which 300 mm lens are you considering? Good long glass can be an addiction, you know?

• Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    cletus !
    cletus wrote:
    andy,

I'm considering putting you on my ignore list so I wont have to see your pictures and realize how crappy my pictures are.

aww now dont' do that ;)
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Funny thing.... my digital rebel doesn't take pictures like that....headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

Yours must be defective, I'd go talk to the shop:

IMG_0582_RJ.sized.jpg
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    jimf wrote:
    Yours must be defective, I'd go talk to the shop:

IMG_0582_RJ.sized.jpg
    Laughing.gif

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    andy,

Lets just be thankful he hasnt started on our weekly theme !
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    andy wrote:

I've had both a prosumer ZLRs (Oly) and a DSLR (10D) and I think there is another huge difference to keep in mind. The prosumer cameras have much smaller sensors which means that they will have much greater depth of field at all apertures. Think of it this way -- the lens can be smaller; it only needs r to cast an image on a smaller area. As the lens diameter gets smaller, even when it is completely open, it approaches a pinhole and as we all know everything is in focus then.

So when you want to be able to blur the background, you don't want one of these. On the other hand when you want huge depth of field (particularly for macro shots) these cameras are great.

One thing I don't understand -- what exactly do the aperture numbers (e.g., f2.8) mean? How is it that you can use f2.8 on a lens with a much smaller lens that also opens up to f2.8? I guess it isn't just a measurement of the radius of the opening?

One thing worth considering -- Canon has a 8mp prosummer coming next month. It is based on the Sony sensor, but uses the same Canon processor that is in the 10D and 300D. So it might be more responsive than the Sony. I don't know how good the Sony is in terms of shutter lag and time between shots. Andy, can you compare 300D to f828 in this regard?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    Good stuff. Is the f-stop on a consumer cam an equivalent measure, not a matching measure, of an SLR's?

As for the incoming Canon Powershot Pro1, it will have to answer the same question that's facing Sony: can it handle 8 megapixels without introducing a lot of noise at even medium ISO's? As I understand it, the f828 starts making increasing and inordinate amounts of noise at anything above the minimum ISO of 65.

Luminous Landscape dude said it didn't bother him 'cause he used Noise Ninja to clear it up, a skill and a software that not everyone has.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Good stuff. Is the f-stop on a consumer cam an equivalent measure, not a matching measure, of an SLR's?

As for the incoming Canon Powershot Pro1, it will have to answer the same question that's facing Sony: can it handle 8 megapixels without introducing a lot of noise at even medium ISO's? As I understand it, the f828 starts making increasing and inordinate amounts of noise at anything above the minimum ISO of 65.

Luminous Landscape dude said it didn't bother him 'cause he used Noise Ninja to clear it up, a skill and a software that not everyone has.
    I found an explanation of f-stops on the web:

It all makes sense. The focal lenghts of cameras with smaller sensors are actually much smaller than their 35mm equivalents. To get the same field of view with a smaller sensor, you need a wider angle lens. Since f-stops are a ratio between aperture and focal length, you can have a smaller opening with smaller sensor and it's the same f-stop.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2004
    rutt wrote:

It all makes sense. The focal lenghts of cameras with smaller sensors are actually much smaller than their 35mm equivalents. To get the same field of view with a smaller sensor, you need a wider angle lens. Since f-stops are a ratio between aperture and focal length, you can have a smaller opening with smaller sensor and it's the same f-stop.
    Thanks for that link to f-stops... I'm printing it out to put in the bathroom, beside my bed, in the truck, and in my camera bag..

Lynneek7.gif
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2004
    rutt wrote:

Ah, good one. thumb.gif. Now that you say it, I do remember reading about it. So f-stop is an absolute measure. Wonder if the same is true of ISO?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Ah, good one. thumb.gif. Now that you say it, I do remember reading about it. So f-stop is an absolute measure. Wonder if the same is true of ISO?
    Theoretically, ISO should be an absolute measure, since ISO stands for International Standards Organization. There are 132 ISO standards associated with photography. I'm not sure which one is applicable to digital still cameras...might be ISO 12232:1998
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Actually , waxy, f-stop should be an absolute measure, but is not completely. Say, for instance, f5.6 could be slightly different on your 50mm prime than on your 28-200 multi-element lens set at 50mm, albeit the difference is certainly small. In cinematography, f-stop is often substituted for t-stop, a measure that does take into account falloff and other circumstances inside the lens and makes it totally dependable. These are more expensive, but the money at stake in a Hollywood production makes them worthwhile. Not so for regular still photographers, so you can confidently classify this post as useless trivia.
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    Blurry Motion
    Shanghai motion...

2940232-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2004
    zero-zero wrote:
    Actually , waxy, f-stop should be an absolute measure, but is not completely. Say, for instance, f5.6 could be slightly different on your 50mm prime than on your 28-200 multi-element lens set at 50mm, albeit the difference is certainly small. In cinematography, f-stop is often substituted for t-stop, a measure that does take into account falloff and other circumstances inside the lens and makes it totally dependable. These are more expensive, but the money at stake in a Hollywood production makes them worthwhile. Not so for regular still photographers, so you can confidently classify this post as useless trivia.

Oh no, not at all, thanks for the education. nod.gif
    Sid.