Options

Need more space!

SaltWaterHippoSaltWaterHippo Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited May 28, 2008 in Accessories
Not sure sure where to put this type of post so sorry in advance :P I tried Googling this but it kept leading me to review websites and I was looking for a more personal response. I will be going on holiday to Malaysia very soon and I know my 4GB CF card wont last very long so I was looking at buying an external hard drive for my Canon 40D. I have a laptop but its just an EEE PC which isnt really built for this type of thing. The only other option I could think of was to get an external hard drive but I wasnt sure how I'd get the images onto it. Do you need the WFT-E2A attachment? Or is it only certian models of external hard drives that would allow transfer directly from the camera if I can do it atall?

If you have any suggestions about anything which would help me store alot more photos on my trip it would be great if you could share. I'm willing to spend the money on something like a drive but things such as the WFT-E2A and a drive is abit much.

Thanks, John.

Comments

• Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    I'd reccomend getting some more cards. I don't know how long your trip is but adding another 16 or 20 gig of cards doesn't cost too much. I find that my 16Gb of cards gets me through 2 weeks when travelling (shoting raw on a 5D with a bit of editing in camera)

If you are set on a portable HD, The best hard drive cf card storage things I've seen are these ones: http://www.hyperdrive.com/ The support raw and you can upgrade the drives in them.

A friend who went on a 4 month world photography trip took 2 of these with him. he would buy pairs of 250Gb drives and down load the cf card to both devices. When it filled up he would pack one drive in the bottom of his pack, mail one drive home and then put two fresh laptop drives in the colorspace units. he ended up with 2 TB of photos and never had to worry about lugging a laptop around.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2008
    Hi there Jogle. Those ColourSpaces seem like the perfect solution for me. I'm quite fond of traveling so I guess it would be a very good investment to use for my trip and future trips. Thank you very much for the info :)
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    I woulddefinitely recommend any of the Hyperdrive models. I'm still using my old PD70X/HD80 and it's still rock-solid. The new Space and ColorSpace just improve things.
  • Options
    FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    I woulddefinitely recommend any of the Hyperdrive models. I'm still using my old PD70X/HD80 and it's still rock-solid. The new Space and ColorSpace just improve things.

I'll add my voice to the chorus in support of the Hyperdrive units. I have a ColorSpace that I purchased about 6 months ago, and I've been very happy with it.
    --Travis
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2008
    Thanks for the recommendations. They do seem like really handy little things. I like how they are built to read formats like Canon RAWs and how they are really generic by using laptop hard drives and batteries so you're not bound to the companies redicliously overpriced replacements :)

I'm going to order a Color O casing very soon and buy a 250GB hard drive from ebuyer. Turns out buying the cheapest Color O with a hard drive (60GB) costs £41 more than the casing. The 250GB is going to cost me £55 with free delivery. Probably your best option for anyone else whos interested.