Options

Profiling?

I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
edited May 28, 2008 in Finishing School
what's this page all about? Profiling obviously - but when it says 'with profile' what exactly does that mean (print/web/both?) and how is it achieved?
Veni-Vidi-Snappii
...pics..

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    what's this page all about? Profiling obviously - but when it says 'with profile' what exactly does that mean (print/web/both?) and how is it achieved?

I don't know exactly what Chris was testing with those specific images, but with profile and without profile is referring to whether the image contained an embedded color profile or not (like sRGB, AdobeRGB, ProPhotoRGB).

Firefox 2 and IE don't know anything about color profiles so they display an image the exact same way whethere there is a profile embedded or not.

Safari (on both Mac and Windows) is a color-managed browser so it will use the color profile to attempt to display your image more accurately if the profile is present.

Firefox 3 (currently in beta) can have color-management enabled if you turn it on.

I'm guessing that Chris was looking at how different images with and without profiles display in different browsers. There was a very long and somewhat technical discussion of this here on dgrin awhile ago (perhaps 6 months ago).

Smugmug customers should upload sRGB images with an embedded profile to Smugmug.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2008
    OK thanaks - I certainly could see adifference in the with profile and without profile images using safari ( my default browser)

I guess I was wondering whether it would make any differences to actual prints from SM
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    OK thanaks - I certainly could see adifference in the with profile and without profile images using safari ( my default browser)

I guess I was wondering whether it would make any differences to actual prints from SM

Presumably all of these images started with a color profile upon original upload and that's how you should upload them to Smugmug.

Whether a particular Smugmug display-sized copy has a profile will not affect printing. For now EZPrints assumes sRGB so as long as your image is sRGB, prints will be OK whether you had a profile in their or not.

But, it's good practice to always include a profile and it is likely that as printing and displays advance the world will slowly shift to a wider gamut profile such as AdobeRGB (or at least offer that as an option like many pro-labs already do).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Presumably all of these images started with a color profile upon original upload and that's how you should upload them to Smugmug.

/QUOTE]
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    The water fall and hand images look identical to me, but them I'm using Safari (on a Wide Gamut display!). The others don't.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/