Options

buy same photo in smugmug that's posted on another website?

Madam_DracthorMadam_Dracthor Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
I'm not sure if this is a completely crazy question. I looked around DGrin and did a Search, but didn't find an answer.

Here it is:

We have a new web site specifically for spots photos. Now, we would like to sell these photos through our Smugmug account.

Therotically, we'd like a "Buy Photo" on that other web site: http://www.freedomgalleries.com/advarsity/main.php

and when people click on "Buy Photo," they are brought to our Smugmug account.

Also, we have limited HTML access to advarsity. Is this doable?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    I'm not sure if this is a completely crazy question. I looked around DGrin and did a Search, but didn't find an answer.

Here it is:

We have a new web site specifically for spots photos. Now, we would like to sell these photos through our Smugmug account.

Therotically, we'd like a "Buy Photo" on that other web site: http://www.freedomgalleries.com/advarsity/main.php

and when people click on "Buy Photo," they are brought to our Smugmug account.

Also, we have limited HTML access to advarsity. Is this doable?
    Sure, a link (simple) in html. We can help. When you are ready, give some links to where you want the link on your other site to be, and what gallery you want to link to on your SmugMug site.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    From what I'm reading the photos have to be also on the Smugmug site to get
    them into the cart.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Mr.SkullMr.Skull Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    Hi,
    I am doing just what you describe, linking from my main website to my smugmug gallery. I have an established website with photos, and I wanted to be able to offer prints of some of them. So I recently signed up for a pro Smugmug account and uploaded all the same images, only in full original resolution. Then I carefully hyperlinked each photo from my main site to the corresponding Smugmug photo. It took a lot of copying and pasting to do it, but it works great! Check it out:
    http://www.joelfletcher.com/outdoor-photography.html
    Cheers,
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    Mr.Skull wrote:
    Hi,
    I am doing just what you describe, linking from my main website to my smugmug gallery. I have an established website with photos, and I wanted to be able to offer prints of some of them. So I recently signed up for a pro Smugmug account and uploaded all the same images, only in full original resolution. Then I carefully hyperlinked each photo from my main site to the corresponding Smugmug photo. It took a lot of copying and pasting to do it, but it works great! Check it out:
    http://www.joelfletcher.com/outdoor-photography.html
    Cheers,

Hmmm, as I think of this, it would be possible for the buy photo link in your main site to take you directly to the cart in Smugmug with that photo already added to the cart rather than just taking you to the Smugmug site. It would involve a little JavaScript in your smugmug site and adding a parameter to the link you fire from your other site. If you're interested in how to make this work, I could outline the steps for you. Let me know.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Mr.SkullMr.Skull Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Hmmm, as I think of this, it would be possible for the buy photo link in your main site to take you directly to the cart in Smugmug with that photo already added to the cart rather than just taking you to the Smugmug site. It would involve a little JavaScript in your smugmug site and adding a parameter to the link you fire from your other site. If you're interested in how to make this work, I could outline the steps for you. Let me know.

That is an interesting idea! I am not sure if I want to go to the cart directly however. Since the buyer would be transported to a completely different site, it might be better to let him check out the gallery information and get accomodated to being on Smugmug first. Then they can hit the "buy this photo" button when they feel comfortable that it's all OK. I would be interested in how you would do this though, in case I decide to do it. The original poster of this thread, Madam Dracthor, as well as other smuggers would probably want to know as well.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Mr.Skull wrote:
    That is an interesting idea! I am not sure if I want to go to the cart directly however. Since the buyer would be transported to a completely different site, it might be better to let him check out the gallery information and get accomodated to being on Smugmug first. Then they can hit the "buy this photo" button when they feel comfortable that it's all OK. I would be interested in how you would do this though, in case I decide to do it. The original poster of this thread, Madam Dracthor, as well as other smuggers would probably want to know as well.

Here's the basic idea:

In your Smugmug gallery, the "Buy This Photo" button executes a JavaScript statement "addCartSingle(imageID)". So, in your external web-site, you could have the Buy Photo button under a given image take you to your gallery, but add a parameter to the URL that indicates the user wants to buy the current photo. For example, if the photo that the user wants to buy is this URL "http://joelfletcher.smugmug.com/gallery/3356342#187182436", then your buy button could take you to this: "http://joelfletcher.smugmug.com/gallery/3356342#187182436?buysingle"

The "?buysingle" will be left alone by Smugmug so it will stay on the URL.

Then, you implement some JavaScript in your Smugmug page that, after the page loads, it checks the URL and looks for the parameter "?buysingle at the end of the URL". If it sees that parameter on the URL, it gets the imageID for the current image and executes the Javascript function addCartSingle(imageID);. This would then do exactly the same thing as if the user pressed the buy this photo button in the Smugmug page.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    aaronbarkeraaronbarker Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 31, 2008
    I'm in need of this as well. Is there any better option then the javascript hack described above?