Options

Upsizing...

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited June 1, 2008 in Finishing School
I have a photo that I would like to upsize for a large print. I tried in CS3 upsizing in 10% steps, but was not satisfied with the results.

Does anyone know the best method for doing this in photoshop....or...would someone be willing to do this for me?:D

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I have a photo that I would like to upsize for a large print. I tried in CS3 upsizing in 10% steps, but was not satisfied with the results.

Does anyone know the best method for doing this in photoshop....or...would someone be willing to do this for me?:D

Get the trial version of Genuine Fractals and it gives you the ability to uprez and save the files....upto 25....trial version is supposed to auto die after 30 days but I have had it on my computer for over 2 yrs now and it has not quit working:D.......you can also preview before saving so it will not count against saved amount of files......
    IT IS ALSO A 1 STEP PROCESS............thumb.gif

What I do is take do all of my PS stuff EXCEPT sharpening......go to image and Image size.....tick constrain proporations.....change DPI to 300 then take image to GF and uprez....you can do it in pixels, % or inches.....then back to PS to sharpen (i always sharpen in unsharp mask)...just my condensed workflow with GF involved......

I have taken my 300dpi files (a little over 8x10 image size after changingthe dpi) upto 30 x 40 inches and no sign of noise......that gives you 300 dpi at 30 x 40 inches and that can be one huge jpg.

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited May 30, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

Are you printing it yourself? I have always heard that it was best to leave the upsizing to the lab that does the printing. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Get the trial version of Genuine Fractals and it gives you the ability to uprez and save the files....upto 25....trial version is supposed to auto die after 30 days but I have had it on my computer for over 2 yrs now and it has not quit working:D.......you can also preview before saving so it will not count against saved amount of files......
    IT IS ALSO A 1 STEP PROCESS............thumb.gif

What I do is take do all of my PS stuff EXCEPT sharpening......go to image and Image size.....tick constrain proporations.....change DPI to 300 then take image to GF and uprez....you can do it in pixels, % or inches.....then back to PS to sharpen (i always sharpen in unsharp mask)...just my condensed workflow with GF involved......

I have taken my 300dpi files (a little over 8x10 image size after changingthe dpi) upto 30 x 40 inches and no sign of noise......that gives you 300 dpi at 30 x 40 inches and that can be one huge jpg.

Good Luck

Thanks Art.
    Great info here.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Are you printing it yourself? I have always heard that it was best to leave the upsizing to the lab that does the printing. ne_nau.gif

I will print it through EZPrints/smugmug....but...

It will be a photo with some framing and text done in photoshop. I would rather do all of the work on the file in the finished size to be sure all of the alignments and centering is spot on. My original image was iso800. I am trying to keep it from falling apart as well.

Here is my trial run at how I want the final image to appear.
    304183252_zYBUy-XL.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    VERY NICEthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    lucluc Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    AQua2 in Visere
    You could also try "AQua2 Enlargement Process" in Visere, which is a free program, available here:

http://www.dmmd.net/