Options

Butterflies in flight

cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
edited March 29, 2005 in Holy Macro
My 2nd time with butterflies and the sizes were small and the numbers few as the sanctuary is new. I was very frustrated trying to get these shots as the motion of a butterly is chaotic. They bounce all around and are really hard to track. The 2 examples here are a testiment to the AF aiservo mode on the 1DMarkII.

IH9T0892_c.jpg

Too bad about the blown highlights. I will go back to the raw and see if I can fix that.
IH9T0893_c.jpg

And one shot holding still.

IH9T0903_c.jpg
Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    i'm sure butterflies are hard to capture in flight - you just have to keep trying. these are oof or soft or both. the third one's not flying, he should be sharp, but he isn't? were you too close for accurate focus? take a look at moti's butterflies from london for some sharpies, to see the difference. n.b. i am only providing this link for comparison to your third shot....
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 29, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i'm sure butterflies are hard to capture in flight - you just have to keep trying. these are oof or soft or both. the third one's not flying, he should be sharp, but he isn't? were you too close for accurate focus? take a look at moti's butterflies from london for some sharpies, to see the difference. n.b. i am only providing this link for comparison to your third shot....
    Compared to Birds in Flight, butterflies are the difficulty of BIF squared or cubed. Focus on butterflies in flight will be very difficult because near or macro focus is so much more slow to perform than on birds at approximately infinity.

Moti's butterfly shots are excellent examples of how nice low ISO images can look. Very nicely done. I enjoyed looking at them.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin