Options

Going Gitzo—need advice

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited June 10, 2008 in Accessories
Okay, I sold some items and it's time to upgrade my camera support. I'm passing my respectable Manfrotto legs/ballhead setup to a colleague and have around $1000.00 to spend. I have to say Gitzo's product line (and website) is convoluted so it's been hard to figure out what I need.

Here are my thoughts:

The ballhead shall be the RRS BH-40. It seems the right balance for a 5D and 70-200 (largest lens I own). I think the BH-55 might be overkill for this setup.

In the legs dep't, here are the ones it's narrowed down to:

2530 or 2540—Although I realise there's a penalty with a 4-segment tripod, the size factor may outweigh it, as I don't want to feel discouraged from taking it with me. Ideally this should feel like a "travel-able" tripod without being too flimsy or compromising in stability. I could learn to love either.

3530 or 3540—Same argument applies about the 3- vs 4-leg thing. The 3-series is the legset I would get if I didn't care about portability.

1540 or 1541 Traveller—I know I shouldn't get this without having a really sturdy tripod first. I just want this to be panacea, is that so wrong? I think I will regret spending the same amount of money for an inferior legset. Still, it would inspire inclusion in a way the larger legsets will not. This might mean more photos actually taken.

Then the "wildcards":

The Explorer series. This only applies to the series 2 legs. I get the feeling that if stability and sharp images are my objective, I should stay away from this kind of swinging-column design. Anybody like them?

The Systematic series. This is only series 3 and up. I like the idea of not having a center column, as these are essentially useless, diminishing in stability with every raised inch and keeping you from getting low to the ground, at least in a hurry. The flat plate is kinda no-nonsense.

Remember when I said "useless" a moment ago? I see that the "ground level set" helps in this regard and I think I like the idea of the reversible column, which can get you as close to the ground as it gets, albeit upside down. Also, you can remove the column altogether, making a kind of "flat plate" like in the Systematic. Okay, I think I've talked myself out of the Systematic.

Any personal experience with any of these or similar is appreciated. What to buy?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    2530 and be done with it. Fits in a roll-on bag (center column & rubber feet removed from the 'pod, very easy, 20seconds). Bit taller and sturdier than the 2540 (yes, I've owned both). I use the 2530 and have both a BH40 and a BH55, either will do just fine. The BH40 fits the 2530 like a glove, and it's a super light but full function combination for packing and hiking. Go go go!
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    2530 and be done with it. Fits in a roll-on bag (center column & rubber feet removed from the 'pod, very easy, 20seconds). Bit taller and sturdier than the 2540 (yes, I've owned both). I use the 2530 and have both a BH40 and a BH55, either will do just fine. The BH40 fits the 2530 like a glove, and it's a super light but full function combination for packing and hiking. Go go go!

Andy, so fast to reply!

Is this the set you take on the workshops? You're steering me back to the middle path, putting stability first. Coming from you, a highly credible recommendation. Thanks.

Any others, just before I make a hasty choice?
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    I ... didn't know good tripods costed that much!! eek7.gif

I use a $60 quantaray and I thought that was pricey...
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    I went through the same decision process last year… The *exact* same process.

I read all the articles, threads, etc. and was about to go with a cheaper set of legs until I got checked in hockey and tore out my shoulder. After that, weight mattered and I went with the Gitzo 2540, acratech head and the rrs plates.

My checking accounted hated me, but I’m now so happy with my setup! I love all of it! Since getting setup, two other people bought the acratech and another switched to the the Gitzo 2530 after seeing me use my tripod.

I went with the 2540 since I’m shorty and didn’t need the extra height. At the same time, I wanted some smaller, lighter and similar to the Traveler series and I ended up with a Slik Pro614 a few months. The locks are not as easy at the gitzo and it doesn’t have the center post hook thing, but the construction is solid and price (and weight) was right for a second tripod. And since I’m so short, I removed the center column and now have about one pound! I have no excuse not to take a tripod anywhere!

I use the gitzo for anything serious or when I know it’s windy (e.g. golden gate bridge ) but use the Slik for around town on long hikes.

And I just picked up an Induro 8x carbon monopod yesterday…. It feels solid, the leg locks feel like gitzo, etc. I don’t need another tripod, but I’ll won’t hesitate to check them out.

I tell people to get a decent set of legs, but what really matters is the head and plate system. My current recommendation is the RRS quick release plates and I like the acratech heads and the RRS ball heads.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    Andy, so fast to reply!

Is this the set you take on the workshops? You're steering me back to the middle path, putting stability first. Coming from you, a highly credible recommendation. Thanks.

Any others, just before I make a hasty choice?
    One more thing... the 3leg opens MUCH faster than the 4leg. Makes a big difference when you are opening the 'pod dozens of times in a day.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    I ... didn't know good tripods costed that much!! [IMG]file:///C:/Users/BILLAN%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

I use a $60 quantaray and I thought that was pricey...
    Yep... they can cost quite a bit.

The article by Thom Hogan is constantly quoted for good reason and I have to find that it's true.

A friend had a decent tripod system, but started playing around with mine a few days after I received it from BH. He couldn't believe how light it was, how well thought out, etc. Before long, he upgraded. He was driving me one day and saw his old tripod in the trunk. He only used it when necessary because it was so heavy and cumbersome; he has no qualms about his current setup -- he takes it with him everywhere.

Another friend didn’t want to pay so much for a gitzo and got a top of the line aluminum legs that came with a ball head. A few months later, he switched over the acratech on and Arca-style quick release plates.

You can go cheaper on the legs, but I can’t stress enough the about the ball head and the quick release plates. It makes your life so much easier. They are worth the money....
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    My current recommendation is the RRS quick release plates and I like the acratech heads and the RRS ball heads.

I have RSS plates and L-plates on everything I own. They are magic. Thanks again for the 2530 vote of support.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    One more thing... the 3leg opens MUCH faster than the 4leg. Makes a big difference when you are opening the 'pod dozens of times in a day.

Okay, sold!
  • Options
    zentricksterzentrickster Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    I mentioned in another thread I was looking at the adorama flashpoint tripods... and got some not encouraging feedback...

Anyway today while tooling about, I stopped by cameta camera to look at a lens they are selling in their ebay store, and they had a carbon fiber Davis&Sanborn tripod/head combo for $199.......

I cant find it on the cameta site, but this is the one on BH http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/401660-REG/Davis_Sanford_CARBONLITEX10_CarbonLiteX10_Carbon_Fiber_Tripod.html

I wonder if this tripod is even in the league you are talking about? IN the few hours Ive owned it. It is easy to breakdown and set up... light... etc..

I realize that price points do make a difference, but compared to the 29.99 tripod I used previous to this one there is no comparison... I'm a beginer here.

I may get a nice ball head for it though eek7.gif

oops s
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    I wonder if this tripod is even in the league you are talking about? IN the few hours Ive owned it. It is easy to breakdown and set up... light... etc..

To be honest, I've never owned a CF tripod before so I don't know what the less expensive models are like. I currently have a Manfrotto 3001Pro and the littlest Induro, which is aluminum and what I would classify as "inspired by Gitzo" design.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    I was just tossing out an option, and some early hands on experience with the tripod I just got..

I am a real nOOb inre photgraphy and equipment.... I will make some mistakes.. but Ill tell you all about them wings.gif
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    To be honest, I've never owned a CF tripod before so I don't know what the less expensive models are like. I currently have a Manfrotto 3001Pro and the littlest Induro, which is aluminum and what I would classify as "inspired by Gitzo" design.
    Buy a gitzo and you'll have a 'pod for life. Buy an imposter and you might have a 'pod for a few years and then need another one :(
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    I cant find it on the cameta site, but this is the one on BH http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/401660-REG/Davis_Sanford_CARBONLITEX10_CarbonLiteX10_Carbon_Fiber_Tripod.html

I don't know anything about that tripod, but the specs are quite different.

The gitzo has a load capacity of 26.4 lbs and weighs 3.1 pounds (without the head). The RRS BH-40 weighs 13-ounces.

The Davis & Sanford (from the linky that you provide) had a load capacity of 9 lbs and weights 5.4 lb with head.

A more expensive tripod is usually lighter, has a higher load capacity and might be more stable. However, you might not notice the weight difference, don't need the weight capacity and may not shoot in condition where you need the stability.

You're currently at about the fifth bullet stage of the tripod sequence in the Thom Hogan article. And you might not even go further down the bullet list – it all depends on how, what you shoot, what lens and body you use and how the tripod fulfill your needs. rolleyes1.gif

There isn't just one perfect tripod system and not everyone needs (or can afford) a gitzo.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    it all depends on how, what you shoot, what lens and body you use and how the tripod fulfill your needs. rolleyes1.gif

agree...as mentioned previously, Im new at this game and learning...
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    It was the Thom Hogan article that got me here in the first place, that and the RRS pages. Great info and true to form.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Save yourself some money and checkout the Feistol and
    Velbon Sherpa Pro carbon tripods. They are 1/3rd the price
    of a gitzo and are just as good.

I use A Sherpa 640 + Acratech UMB V2 Ballhead (lightweight
    combo).

Review of the Velbon 630 + Acratech Ballhead:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/velbon-acra.shtml
    List and specs of all velbon carbon tripods:
    http://www.velbon.co.uk/newvelbon/pages/procftrpods.html

As an alternative ballhead I would suggest a Acratech:
    http://www.acratech.net/

Have fun decideing!
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Go Gitzo!
    I bought the 2530 Explorer since I shoot alot of macro and the offset center post works fine for me. Combined with the BH40, it locks down tight into any position I need it to. If I did alot of schlepping, I would've gone with the Mountaineer for slightly lighter weight.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of a quick release plate. I should've got the L-plate and kicked in the extra $ for one when I got my D300. I recall coming in right at $900 for legs, plate, ballhead, shipping.

I chimp every single time I use this rig! iloveyou.gif
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
    Thanks Manfr3d for the suggestions. In the end, the Velbon stuff is not well supported in my neck of the woods and I could use all the help I can get. So...

...I ordered the BH-40 LR and the only 2531 I could find in stock, from Eagle Optics in WI, who had a competitive price and were pleasant to deal with on the phone, my having never heard of them. $40 warrantee!

Many thanks for all the suggestions. Love this place. I want to have your babies. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    ...I want to have your babies. iloveyou.gif

eek7.gif
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
    Tough crowd
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    mmmm, I say 2540LVL (6X btw!). It's got center column which you can level independently of the legs. It's super easy and quick. I love it.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    I considered the leveling thing, but I have no experience with them, so I don't yet see the benefit. Maybe that'll be tripod 2.0
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2008
    2531 arrived today—a day ahead of schedule. She's a beauty and everything I hoped for in terms of relative weight to height and compactness. One thing I can confirm as incorrect in that Nikonian post I quoted a few days ago is that you get 3 angles with the 2531, not 4 as was reported. The good news is that they are 24, 60 and 80, not 90-degrees, which would have been like an ashtray on a motorbike.

(LATER)

Reading it once more, it seems to be some sort of "undocumented feature". The tag on the tripod says nothing about a 90-degree setting. Hmm.

The top part, that holds the legs on, is in fact magnesium. Fit and finish-wise, I feel I got what I paid for. Andy, thanks for the 3-leg vote of confidence. I'm glad I went with a xx30 this time around. Height is true eye level for me, once the camera and head are on, and it feels very stable.

Does anybody know: To make the center column into the "ground level set" mode, you had to undo an allen nut. I thought this was a "no tools required" thing. I assume the nut is there to prevent the mounting disc from turning, but funny how this became slightly more complicated.
  • Options
    DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    ...Since getting setup, two other people bought the acratech and ...

Actually three. I purchased a used Sigma 120-300 and needed a stronger setup. I saw you post then rented a Acratech unit and now own it. Thankyou.
    John
  • Options
    dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    I considered the leveling thing, but I have no experience with them, so I don't yet see the benefit. Maybe that'll be tripod 2.0

You (normally) want a vertical axis to rotate around when you take panoramas. The levelling centre column means that you can get the base of your ballhead horizontal easily which will mean that the rotation at the bottom of the ballhead will be about a vertical axis. (I hope I've explained that well enough!)

However, if you decide that you want to go that route you can also consider the RRS PCL-1 clamp which will fit on you RRS head. It's basically another axis to rotate the camera around but one that you can level just by using the ball head. I have a PCL-1 and it does exactly what it said it would, and I would imagine it is probably cheaper and lighter than a movable centre column.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    DaC wrote:
    Actually three. I purchased a used Sigma 120-300 and needed a stronger setup. I saw you post then rented a Acratech unit and now own it. Thankyou.
    John
    I'm so sorry. rolleyes1.gif I should have warned you that I’m one of those enabler types with a known shopping problem; the only good news is that I’m very picky about my gear and will go to extremes to get the “best” items for me. Surprisingly, some people actually agree with my choices and tend to buy items on my “recommend” list.

There are at least three other people on dgrin walking around with IR mod’ed bodies because of me. Oops!

Enjoy you acratech. I also have the 120-300, and it's no issue even for a big lens like that! I didn't know it until someone pointed it out to me, but you can also adjust the tension on the ballhead itself and adjust how much you need to turn the knob to lock the position. Some people don’t seem to like this ball head, but I think you can’t go wrong with either that or the RRS one.
  • Options
    DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    I'm so sorry. rolleyes1.gif I should have warned you that I’m one of those enabler types with a known shopping problem...
    I also have the 120-300, and it's no issue even for a big lens like that! I didn't know it until someone pointed it out to me, but you can also adjust the tension on the ballhead itself and adjust how much you need to turn the knob to lock the position. Some people don’t seem to like this ball head, but I think you can’t go wrong with either that or the RRS one.

I figured out the tension adjust after a few times out. Another Nikon user (D-300) had a 120-300 at a crew meet and came over to look the Acratech. He seemed impressed.

Currently the Acratech sits on a Slik Able 300 DX tripod. It was the best I could afford way back when I purchased it. It is a steady unit but could be taller (at the legs) and lighter.

I purchased a Gitzo monopod a couple months ago because for auto events the tripod clumsey to move around with on top of being a chore to lug around. I love the way the monopod is made. It is so easy to adjust on the the run. I could not believe the weight, well the lack of weight that is. Soon - maybe next spring I will go with a Gitzo tripod.

Anyway thanks again for posting about the equipment.