Options

Weekly Assignment #75: Palm

13»

Comments

• Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    sanaka wrote:
    Here's the non-BW worked version for reference. I prefer the BW, but I 'd be interested what anyone else thinks (or if this image is worth even thinking much about).
    Peace,
    Sanaka

Its worth thinking about. This image is really nice. Like the matt background
    you used also. thumb.gif I like the image in color.

You might also get a photo with the strings showing. Just to
    see if that is more worthy yet. My two cents. :D Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Nikolai said, in part:
    ..see the hand in some stretched out bar/chord position.
    Yes, that could make a good hand shot, but would be basically impossible to get a good palm perspective on.

Yes, this is posed, but is also how I would actually grab the guitar to pick it up - right under the head. Even the pick between two fingers is real, if my right hand is holding coffee or something :-) Certainly a better photographer would better convey the "moment of grasping" I was trying for.

I have a little problem with this assignment in that you "...want to see your picture telling the story of the palm's owner in some way..." yet I don't see an empty palm by itself being able to tell much story. I agree that the "something in the palm" theme was missing the point. So that kind of leaves the context around the palm to really tell the story, doesn't it?

DaddyO - thanks for the encouragement :D I was trying to invent a "front of guitar/while playing" shot, but again could only come up with back-of-hand images; palm is concealed by grasping the neck... at least as far as I'm able to think it out headscratch.gif

Peace,
    Sanaka
    WooHooo! New dSLR!:barb : Canon XSi / 450D
    Kit lens for now: 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Running a little behind on my commitment to keep up with these assignments, so I'm trying to play catch up (you're really making us think lately Nikolai! rolleyes1.gif)

305922149_ixewc-M.jpg

ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/60 and a SoCal June Gloom softbox (you get that, right Nikolai? mwink.gif)

I used my 24-70 at 27mm; not my first choice...but I was limited by the length of my arm. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    Running a little behind on my commitment to keep up with these assignments, so I'm trying to play catch up (you're really making us think lately Nikolai! rolleyes1.gif)

ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/60 and a SoCal June Gloom softbox (you get that, right Nikolai? mwink.gif)

I used my 24-70 at 27mm; not my first choice...but I was limited by the length of my arm. rolleyes1.gif

Despite the fact I hate cigarettes this is a great image and a very nice entry!thumb.gif

BTW, where did you get the June Gloom? It was sunny here in LA/Ventura since May Gray was over mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Despite the fact I hate cigarettes this is a great image and a very nice entry!thumb.gif

BTW, where did you get the June Gloom? It was sunny here in LA/Ventura since May Gray was over mwink.gif

Thanks Nikolai...yeah, I fully expected a negative response to the subject matter, but I think with photos a strong negative response is much better than no response.

I'm jealous if you have sun, I'm in SJC and less than a mile off the beach, so it's pretty thick right now and doesn't look like it's going to burn off until after noon. This time of year it frequently doesn't burn off until 3pm or so down here. rolleyes1.gif But at least I finally figured out one good thing about it.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    Thanks Nikolai...yeah, I fully expected a negative response to the subject matter, but I think with photos a strong negative response is much better than no response.
    Laughing.gif
    so true :-)
    I'm jealous if you have sun, I'm in SJC and less than a mile off the beach, so it's pretty thick right now and doesn't look like it's going to burn off until after noon. This time of year it frequently doesn't burn off until 3pm or so down here. rolleyes1.gif But at least I finally figured out one good thing about it.
    My you're down South :-) At least it means you still have the same weather pattern, ours changed few years ago.
    And yes, overcast is awesome for the outdoor portraiture, so enjoy it while it lasts :-) We seem to be back to our trademark featurless clear blue sky for the rest of this year...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"