Options

Flash help please.

DRebelGirlDRebelGirl Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited March 31, 2005 in Cameras
What is the difference between the Canon 550 and 580? I have the 420 but want to make it a slave. Is the 580 fully automatic like the 420 is? In other words, when I attach the 580 to my camera will it read my cameras settings itself and function properly? The 420 was so easy, I could fully concentrate on the camera settings (even shoot on automatic) if I wanted to.

Thanks for your help!!!
Shoot first...ask questions later! :thumb

Comments

• Options
    edited March 29, 2005
    Uhhhh...I wrote this under the wrong category.
    DRebelGirl wrote:
    What is the difference between the Canon 550 and 580? I have the 420 but want to make it a slave. Is the 580 fully automatic like the 420 is? In other words, when I attach the 580 to my camera will it read my cameras settings itself and function properly? The 420 was so easy, I could fully concentrate on the camera settings (even shoot on automatic) if I wanted to.

Thanks for your help!!!
    I still would appreciate any help you could provide.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    If you eventually plan on upgrading to a 20D or a 1D, the 580 is the flash you want. It's improvements over the 550 is that it will recognize the sensor size of the camera and only light that which will be shot. It will also compensate for the WB as the batteries begin to drain. It's lighter and smaller than the 550.

If the camera supports E-TTL, then yes, you can turn it on and shoot. I do recommend practicing with the swivel head though and learning the best way to bounce the flash.

I own the 580 and love it. I've posted these before, but below are some examples of using the flash right after I got it. Again, I stress, if you are going to spend over $400 on a flash just to point and shoot and forget about it, I wouldn't recommend it. Learn how to use the flash for some amazing shots.

Click on the photos if you're interested in the EXIF.

17415508-L.jpg

17415576-L.jpg

17849739-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2005
    Great shots!
    Khaos wrote:
    If you eventually plan on upgrading to a 20D or a 1D, the 580 is the flash you want. It's improvements over the 550 is that it will recognize the sensor size of the camera and only light that which will be shot. It will also compensate for the WB as the batteries begin to drain. It's lighter and smaller than the 550.

If the camera supports E-TTL, then yes, you can turn it on and shoot. I do recommend practicing with the swivel head though and learning the best way to bounce the flash.

I own the 580 and love it. I've posted these before, but below are some examples of using the flash right after I got it. Again, I stress, if you are going to spend over $400 on a flash just to point and shoot and forget about it, I wouldn't recommend it. Learn how to use the flash for some amazing shots.

Click on the photos if you're interested in the EXIF.

17415508-L.jpg

17415576-L.jpg

17849739-M.jpg

Your photos are really great! I have used the 420 extensively....most often at weddings and my clients have been very pleased with the results. I need a little more flash power though in church settings and dark reception venues. The 580 sounds perfect.
    Thanks for your quick response!! :):
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    Might want to check out the Sigma Super 500 ETTL-II flash. I have it on my 20D and love it. It retails for about $199 at B&H and is very compairable to the 580EX which is $200 more.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2005
    Thanks guys....
    Might want to check out the Sigma Super 500 ETTL-II flash. I have it on my 20D and love it. It retails for about $199 at B&H and is very compairable to the 580EX which is $200 more.
    i just ordered (2) 580ex's at BH and am excited to put them to good use.
    Thanks for all the advice!
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    Will the Sigma work wirelessly with my 550ex? I've been hesitant to get the 580, but I need a backup flash and want to do so in a way that allows me to use one as a second wireless flash.

Lee
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    leebase wrote:
    Will the Sigma work wirelessly with my 550ex? I've been hesitant to get the 580, but I need a backup flash and want to do so in a way that allows me to use one as a second wireless flash.

Lee
    Yes it should, the sigma can be fired by another strobe, either stand alone or on-board camera flash.