Options

Edit Images Separately with Adjustment Layers

Rcphil8Rcphil8 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited June 2, 2008 in Finishing School
Hello,

I am trying to create an image (page of a book) with several photos and create separate adjustment layers for each image. This would allow one image to be adjusted without affecting the other. Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited June 2, 2008
    Rcphil8 wrote:
    Hello,

I am trying to create an image (page of a book) with several photos and create separate adjustment layers for each image. This would allow one image to be adjusted without affecting the other. Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks for the help!

Hi there and welcome to Dgrin. wave.gif

I'm not exactly sure I understand what you are trying to do, so it would be helpful if you could post a screen shot of your layers palette. The most common way of solving your problem is to put a mask on each adjustment layer that only exposes the part you want to affect and hides the rest.

Regards,
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Rcphil8 wrote:
    Hello,

Thanks for the help!

If you have multiple layers and you want to create an adjustment layer that will affect only one of those layers, all you have to do is to choose:

[X] Use Previous Layer to Create Clipping Mask

when you initially create your adjustment layer. This will show it in the layers palette indented above the layer that it affects and changes to that adjustment layer will only affect the layer below it.

You can change this setting after you've create an adjustment layer with the menu command Layer/Release Clipping Mask or Layer/Craete Clipping Mask.

You can combine multiple adjustment layers in this fashion and they will all only affect the first real (non-adjustment) layer below them.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Rcphil8Rcphil8 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    jfriend - Thanks! That seems to be what I was looking for.

Richard - I'm not familiar with posting screen shots, are there links for instructions in other posts?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited June 2, 2008
    Rcphil8 wrote:

Richard - I'm not familiar with posting screen shots, are there links for instructions in other posts?
    Use whatever your system offers to capture the screen to a JPG file. Then follow these instructions to include the image in your post: How To Post on Dgrin