Options

Bridal Shoot with Fishing Pole?

ShannonHeatShannonHeat Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited June 3, 2008 in Weddings
I'll be shooting a bride this coming Saturday in the beautiful location of Wimberly, TX. Our location will be pretty much on the banks of the Blanco River. She really wants at least a shot or 2 with her fishing pole, since they are both fishing fanatics. For some reason, I feel as though I have hit a creative wall on this one. Does anyone have any suggestions to get my mind ticking again? I need to utilize the landscaping as well. Grrrrrr.....what's happened to my "eye"?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Shannon :D
Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 430ex, sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro, a crummy kit lens, 4gb cf, and tons of batteries.
www.heatonphotography.net
http://picasaweb.google.com/heatonphotography
www.myspace.com/heatonphotography

Comments

• Options
    qsjewlqsjewl Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    this may sound really cheesy, but what about her 'hooking' her husband's collar from behind to signify a good catch???

Also, maybe her sitting by some water in her dress 'fishing'

maybe their rings on the hook with them in the background????

just some random thoughts.
  • Options
    Lissa79Lissa79 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    qsjewl wrote:
    this may sound really cheesy, but what about her 'hooking' her husband's collar from behind to signify a good catch???

Also, maybe her sitting by some water in her dress 'fishing'

maybe their rings on the hook with them in the background????

just some random thoughts.

Those don't sound cheesy, they are actually some really wonderful thoughts!!:)
    Lissa Gail:wink
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Howz about propping the pole to her garter?...with her husband hooked to the other side of the pole? If done right (and appropriatlely) it would be a cool shot....just have to stage it and get the right angle and facial expressions...as in him saying, "I'm Hooked" :D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2008
    Oh those sound like wonderful ideas! I love the rings on the hook! Unfortunately I'll have to save those for their wedding day. This is a "bridal" shoot only, no groom in these shots. I know I'm going to do the bride fishing, I just can't think of much else creative with the bride only. Maybe her bouquet on the end of the hook with her in the background? Their passion is fishing, they're even going Deep Sea Fishing for their honeymoon. The bride wants a cute picture to put next to the groom's cake at the reception.
    Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 430ex, sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro, a crummy kit lens, 4gb cf, and tons of batteries.
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Ah, Wimberly! My family's in New Braunfels and I went to college in San Marcos. Loved going out to Wimberly and Dripping Springs. :D

For the bride fishing shot, the cute image of her sitting on the banks with her skirt pushed up a bit to reveal her wearing rubber fishing boots keeps popping into my head. I think that would be a neat contrast if she's willing.

And for the bridal version of the ring-on-the-hook shot, could you use her engagement ring? She could hold it up near her face for the "proud catch" pose and it could be a nice close-up/head-and-shoulders shot. ne_nau.gif

Sounds fun regardless. You'll have to post some results!
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2008
    That sounds like a very cute idea! I am so in love with Wimberly too, what a great place to visit:D. I guess I'll be taking pics on your stomping grounds. I will definately post the results.
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Ah, Wimberly! My family's in New Braunfels and I went to college in San Marcos. Loved going out to Wimberly and Dripping Springs. :D

For the bride fishing shot, the cute image of her sitting on the banks with her skirt pushed up a bit to reveal her wearing rubber fishing boots keeps popping into my head. I think that would be a neat contrast if she's willing.

And for the bridal version of the ring-on-the-hook shot, could you use her engagement ring? She could hold it up near her face for the "proud catch" pose and it could be a nice close-up/head-and-shoulders shot. ne_nau.gif

Sounds fun regardless. You'll have to post some results!
  • Options
    CAPTURED2HCAPTURED2H Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Well just an idea ---- hang the husband by his feet have her stand next to him w/pole ne_nau.gif showing her trophy in true fisherman style :D or is that fisherwoman headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2008
    Haha....now that's too funny! I love it!
    CAPTURED2H wrote:
    Well just an idea ---- hang the husband by his feet have her stand next to him w/pole ne_nau.gif showing her trophy in true fisherman style :D or is that fisherwoman headscratch.gif
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    This is a rare case where you may WANT to have the sun behind the models.

If the sun is behind the B&G. You can get a silhouette shot of them casting their lines. With the back lighting, they will look like glowing fishing lines. You'll have to dial the exposure in, but the shot will be worth it. thumb.gif

Of course, you can use fill flash if you like. Just make sure to gel to temp.
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Sounds like a great opportunity to be creative.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    dlacouturedlacouture Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Ok, I realize this probably will NOT be appreciated by the groom, but I simply wouldn't resist doing a "fishing men" photo, with the bride reeling in a man (bride on a bank, man in the river), with some drenched men already lying down haphazardly in the grass beside her...

For a more conventional shoot, you can also take the fish viewpoint... Don't drop the camera!
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2008
    Thanks y'all, those are very good ideas! I can't wait to test them out today! I'm doing the shoot just before the sun sets :D Wish me luck!
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Thanks y'all, those are very good ideas! I can't wait to test them out today! I'm doing the shoot just before the sun sets :D Wish me luck!

Good luck! thumb.gif

One last thought before you head out: if she has those rubber fishing boots, a nice close-up of just them in the frame with the front hem of the bridal skirt visible (lifted up) and the back hem as the background behind the boots could be a neat variation. If she has a floral arrangement with her, maybe including it on the ground near the boots would be cute.

I can't wait to see what you come back with! clap.gif
  • Options
    mtophammtopham Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Hey Shannon,

I hope the shoot went well for you. I am really interested to hear how it went and see some examples of what you ended up doing.

Mike
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    The shoot went very well! She was so much fun to work with....but could never achieve a soft smile...hehe. Her smile was to die for....so bright and vibrant. I'm working on processing the shots now....I hope you all like them.