DG and Mac users...HELP!! How do you do it??

KimballPhotographyKimballPhotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
edited March 30, 2005 in Dgrin Forum Support
My PC crashed, so I now have a wonderful Mac that I'm trying to get the hang of. So far things seem to be coming together. Until I figured out that I have NO IDEA how to post a pic here now. If I try and get one out of my smugmug galleries, how do I find the properties? I tried drag/drop, didn't work. I right clicked and searched for properties, no where. How do I go about doing this??

Thanks in advance...
Natalie:thumb

A single photograph can tell an entire story and bring back a multitude of memories.

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    What browser are you using? With a right click, Mozilla browsers have a "Copy Image Location" selection that will do the job.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    What browser are you using? With a right click, Mozilla browsers have a "Copy Image Location" selection that will do the job.
    Exactly what I use when on the Mac, FireFox, right mouse click, Copy Image Location. Safari is much less friendly, I don't like it or use it.

James.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Exactly what I use when on the Mac, FireFox, right mouse click, Copy Image Location. Safari is much less friendly, I don't like it or use it.

James.

Safari works just the same, right-click, or control-click brings up "copy link to clipboard".

I tried Firefox, and found it to be buggy and unuseable. Different strokes...

I think the thing you're missing with linking is that you need to click on the button below the pic "Share with friends and forums" and then choose the link that you want to use in your post. Right-click or control-click to get the URL.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited March 28, 2005
    My PC crashed, so I now have a wonderful Mac that I'm trying to get the hang of. So far things seem to be coming together. Until I figured out that I have NO IDEA how to post a pic here now. If I try and get one out of my smugmug galleries, how do I find the properties? I tried drag/drop, didn't work. I right clicked and searched for properties, no where. How do I go about doing this??

Thanks in advance...

Make sure that you run the basic Macintosh Maintenance. And if you need any help adjusting to your Mac, feel free to contact me directly. I give free support! (As in, "Yay, you're doing a great job! Way to go, getting a Mac", etc.)

Seriously, let me know if I can help.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 28, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Safari works just the same, right-click, or control-click brings up "copy link to clipboard".

I tried Firefox, and found it to be buggy and unuseable. Different strokes...

I think the thing you're missing with linking is that you need to click on the button below the pic "Share with friends and forums" and then choose the link that you want to use in your post. Right-click or control-click to get the URL.
    "copy link to clipboard" will not work right for what he wants from smugmug, that will copy the link, NOT the image location which is what he wants. Over time I grew to hate Safari, if it works for you good, but not for me.

James.
    edited March 28, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    "copy link to clipboard" will not work right for what he wants from smugmug, that will copy the link, NOT the image location which is what he wants. Over time I grew to hate Safari, if it works for you good, but not for me.

James.

So what's the difference?
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 28, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    So what's the difference?

Here's a Copy Link Location
    http://wxwax.smugmug.com/gallery/224020/1/18376108/Large

Here's the Copy Image Location
    http://wxwax.smugmug.com/photos/18376108-M.jpg

Since a link needs the .jpg, only the Image Location will work. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited March 28, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Here's a Copy Link Location
    http://wxwax.smugmug.com/gallery/224020/1/18376108/Large

Here's the Copy Image Location
    http://wxwax.smugmug.com/photos/18376108-M.jpg

Since a link needs the .jpg, only the Image Location will work. ne_nau.gif

I never have a problem with that, that's just what I get (the .jpg). Perhaps the difference is that I need to go to the 'share with friends and forums' button to get it, and you can do it in one step?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • KimballPhotographyKimballPhotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    Testing...18384245-L.jpg
    Testing again...18384245-L.jpg

A single photograph can tell an entire story and bring back a multitude of memories.
  • KimballPhotographyKimballPhotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    YIPPEEEE!! Thank you for suggesting Mozilla. I uploaded it and by using it I could do it. Safari just wouldn't help me out at all.

Thank you everyone for your help! DavidTO~ Thank you for the offer! I may just take you up on itclap.gif!!! I'm in a whole new world now, he hexzicon_smile_cool.gif.

edited March 28, 2005
    YIPPEEEE!! Thank you for suggesting Mozilla. I uploaded it and by using it I could do it. Safari just wouldn't help me out at all.

Thank you everyone for your help! DavidTO~ Thank you for the offer! I may just take you up on itclap.gif!!! I'm in a whole new world now, he hexzicon_smile_cool.gif.

I'm still confused. How come I don't have any trouble posting?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    i use macs and safari exclusively to post on dgrin. no probs whatsoever...

to copy an image from smugmug, i click on "share with friends and forums" and then right click on the link for the size image i want... it's really easy, safari pops up with "copy link to clipboard" and then i paste it here on dgrin...

15850611-L.jpg

voila.

easy as pie.

mmm pie :eat 001_007.gif
    edited March 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i use macs and safari exclusively to post on dgrin. no probs whatsoever...

to copy an image from smugmug, i click on "share with friends and forums" and then right click on the link for the size image i want... it's really easy, safari pops up with "copy link to clipboard" and then i paste it here on dgrin...

voila.

easy as pie.

mmm pie :eat 001_007.gif

Exactly my point!

Way to go Andy, you're doing a great job!

(Some more Mac support)
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 28, 2005
    You know, I really miss Vitamin M. *sigh*
    Sid.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    Testing...18384245-L.jpg
    Testing again...
    18384245-S.jpg
    This is a nice shot, by the way.
    If not now, when?
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    In FF I do as the others have stated. In Safari I choose open image in new tab then I just copy the URL, usually I am linking several images, so I just work from a lot of tabs (or windows with expose they are easy to find). That is what works for me. ne_nau.gif
    edited March 29, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I never have a problem with that, that's just what I get (the .jpg). Perhaps the difference is that I need to go to the 'share with friends and forums' button to get it, and you can do it in one step?
    Correct, that is the differance.

James.
    edited March 29, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Correct, that is the differance.

James.
    OK, so I managed to install Firefox (last time I tried it kept hanging and crashing). And it seems to be running fine.

Any idea why it only imports bookmarks from Opera, and not Safari, or am I missing something?
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 29, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    OK, so I managed to install Firefox (last time I tried it kept hanging and crashing). And it seems to be running fine.

Any idea why it only imports bookmarks from Opera, and not Safari, or am I missing something?
    Sorry, I never tried that, I don't tend to keep bookmarks, I use too many differant systems, I just remember them or search.

James.
    edited March 29, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Sorry, I never tried that, I don't tend to keep bookmarks, I use too many differant systems, I just remember them or search.

James.
    You have a .Mac account? You can store your bookmarks there and access them from any system, PC included.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 29, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    You have a .Mac account? You can store your bookmarks there and access them from any system, PC included.
    Nope, too expensive, not enough goody, I looked into it at one point but it didn't light my fire, I already have enough webpages and mail address.

James.
  • clicketclicket Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Exactly my point!

Way to go Andy, you're doing a great job!

(Some more Mac support)
    Exactly the same installation and procedure for me too. Works A1.
    -- Christian (B->
    edited March 29, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:

James.

omg - with .mac, it's *so* cool to have your bookmarks available on any computer with an internet connection :D
    edited March 30, 2005
    I just went and looked at .Mac again, *for me* it is still a joke, $99/year for a place to keep bookmarks? That is the only thing they offer that I could see myself using. For crying outloud, they start you out at 250MB combinded e-mail + iDisk, on e-mail alone if I changed over that would run out in something like 1 - 3 days depending on load. .Mac is prolly great for a normal user, but as a network admin everything they measure in MB I need in GB. It has been atleast 3 years since my normal email account was under 1GB in it, and I do clean it out. As for iDisk, that 250MB is worthless, I have several single files that I use every day from web access which are each much larger than that. Enjoy it for your self, but I don't see it as usable for me.

James.
    edited March 30, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    I just went and looked at .Mac again, *for me* it is still a joke, $99/year for a place to keep bookmarks? That is the only thing they offer that I could see myself using. For crying outloud, they start you out at 250MB combinded e-mail + iDisk, on e-mail alone if I changed over that would run out in something like 1 - 3 days depending on load. .Mac is prolly great for a normal user, but as a network admin everything they measure in MB I need in GB. It has been atleast 3 years since my normal email account was under 1GB in it, and I do clean it out. As for iDisk, that 250MB is worthless, I have several single files that I use every day from web access which are each much larger than that. Enjoy it for your self, but I don't see it as usable for me.

James.

sure, it's really valuable for me, as i have most of my email on an exchange server.

anyhow, i like the convenience of it. it's nice integrated with the included apple backup software, so nightly my stuff is backed up to ext hd, and my application prefs, bookmarks, and a bunch of other stuff are put out to my idisk on .mac, accessible to me from anywhere. for me, it's already paid for itself, as i used it to access a bunch of files that were critical for me to getting a job done.

there are always lots of different ways to skin this cat :D