Options

1920's Theme Wedding

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited June 5, 2008 in Weddings
Jessica and David got married on 05-31-2008 and had a really neat 1920's theme wedding.

Also, I now must take back the comment I made last week that the Lightsphere ate through batteries... I only went through two sets of rechargeables this time... so maybe it was just that it was the first time I used those batteries and their initial charge didn't actually charge them all the way? Anyhoo, I'm still loving the Lightsphere :) And this wedding was in a smaller area, so I never had to use the 70-200... it was the 17-55 all the way!

306568315_rg8Bk-M.jpg

306571592_QtdXH-M.jpg

306574083_aaNEH-M.jpg

305422156_viALF-M.jpg

306573803_5onqJ-M.jpg

306576744_uZRsG-M.jpg

306576913_fU9E2-M.jpg

305469320_g53mq-M.jpg

306578146_Mnnho-M.jpg

306581242_eRFDM-M.jpg

306578362_3BVZQ-M.jpg

306575710_qYfes-M.jpg

Lots of fun, more favorites from the wedding are here:
http://photos.cathoffman.com/gallery/5005877_YtYVo/

Comments

• Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    This looks like it was a very fun time. clap.gif

The detail shots are good and the conversions work excellent with the theme.

Great job thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    TelephotoTelephoto Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Shima:

Lovely photos. If you and Scott Quier ever started charging brides by the pound, you would both be milti-millionaires.

Tele
  • Options
    qsjewlqsjewl Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Telephoto wrote:
    Shima:

Lovely photos. If you and Scott Quier ever started charging brides by the pound, you would both be milti-millionaires.

Tele

????? - I hope you mean the english pound/currency???

these are great pics and it looks like they had a blast. great job!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited June 3, 2008
    Telephoto wrote:
    If you and Scott Quier ever started charging brides by the pound, you would both be milti-millionaires.

Totally inappropriate comment.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    REALLY nice shots. Looks like a fun group.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Love the shots and they wore those dresses well!
    Telephoto wrote:
    Shima:

Tele

:wow :eek1 :yikes
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Telephoto wrote:
    Shima:

Tele
    Welcome to DGrin - I think you'll like it around here once you get your sensitivity factor set correctly.

I take huge exception to this remark. Please think about your comments a bit before clicking on that "Submit Reply" button.

I photograph weddings and either accept or reject people as clients based on the person, their character, etc. Poundage (or lack there of) is not a selection criteria for me.deal.gif

Back on topic:

Cat, I would give my left eye-tooth for a bride and groom with this kind of sense of humor! I sure hope you enjoyed working for them. The photos you've posted here are wonderful:
    • 1 - Love the mirror shot. Another variation of this is to have the bride look at you through the mirror. This one you did quite nicely.
    • 2 - This is unique. Don't even know what it is. My first thought was that it was a cake topper, but that didn't make a lot of sense. Anyway, love the detail shot.
    • 3 - Nice hands/rings shot. Suggest a bit more DOF (stop down the lens a touch more) to get his hand in better focus.
    • 4 - This is just plain awesome through I think I would have backed up another foot to get all of his foot in the photo. Love the pose and the very alive expressions on all the faces!
    • 5 - Very nice "almost a kiss" shot! Hmmmm, I think I've seen something like this somewhere before....
    • 6 - Her with the gun - that's just plain fun!
    • 7 - Again - nice expressions - they seem to be really enjoy playing their parts!
    • 8, 9, 10 suggest you slow down the shutter a bit to gather a little more ambient light. These look a little like they were shot in a cave.

Hope you don't mind, but I gotta say I really like this photo
    306575391_zvPJV-M.jpg
    I just like the exposure, the posing, the post processing. All very much in keeping with the theme of the wedding. Nice bowdown.gif

Over all, I think this is a wonderful set! Well done!
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2008
    Welcome to DGrin - I think you'll like it around here once you get your sensitivity factor set correctly.

I take huge exception to this remark. Please think about your comments a bit before clicking on that "Submit Reply" button.

I photograph weddings and either accept or reject people as clients based on the person, their character, etc. Poundage (or lack there of) is not a selection criteria for me.deal.gif

Back on topic:

Cat, I would give my left eye-tooth for a bride and groom with this kind of sense of humor! I sure hope you enjoyed working for them. The photos you've posted here are wonderful:
    • 1 - Love the mirror shot. Another variation of this is to have the bride look at you through the mirror. This one you did quite nicely.
    • 2 - This is unique. Don't even know what it is. My first thought was that it was a cake topper, but that didn't make a lot of sense. Anyway, love the detail shot.
    • 3 - Nice hands/rings shot. Suggest a bit more DOF (stop down the lens a touch more) to get his hand in better focus.
    • 4 - This is just plain awesome through I think I would have backed up another foot to get all of his foot in the photo. Love the pose and the very alive expressions on all the faces!
    • 5 - Very nice "almost a kiss" shot! Hmmmm, I think I've seen something like this somewhere before....
    • 6 - Her with the gun - that's just plain fun!
    • 7 - Again - nice expressions - they seem to be really enjoy playing their parts!
    • 8, 9, 10 suggest you slow down the shutter a bit to gather a little more ambient light. These look a little like they were shot in a cave.
    Hope you don't mind, but I gotta say I really like this photo

I just like the exposure, the posing, the post processing. All very much in keeping with the theme of the wedding. Nice bowdown.gif

Over all, I think this is a wonderful set! Well done!

Thanks for all the feedback Scott! And I too was also put off by tele's comment above...

This certainly was one of my most fun weddings to shoot since they were just living it up with the theme so they were very flexible in letting me pose them and such. I had a blast. Plus they even printed out a name card for me at the table instead of just pointing somewhere and telling me where to sit lol.

Actually the "almost a kiss" idea I did *not* get from dgrin, despite what you may think... when I was married my photographer had us do an almost kiss and it's one of my favorite shots. See here: http://photos.cathoffman.com/gallery/1634197_QQFsQ#79896772_xLzFb

#2 was some jewelry holder type thing I assume, it was just really nifty looking, and I found it chilling in the bride's dressing room at the location, so I stole the rings and carefully balanced them on it :)

I'll try to do a slower shutter for those dark shots in the future, hadn't realized how dark they were appearing...

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far!
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I'll try to do a slower shutter for those dark shots in the future, hadn't realized how dark they were appearing...

Cranking up the ISO can help with this too. And, of course, if you happen to have a low white ceiling you can use the bounce with nice effect.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Cranking up the ISO can help with this too. And, of course, if you happen to have a low white ceiling you can use the bounce with nice effect.

Nope, it was in a barn... so high and wooden brown ceiling... that was my biggest enemy lighting wise most of the evening, caused all sorts of grief.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Telephoto wrote:
    Shima:

Tele

Well that was pretty classless.

Great job Cat!!!

That wood ceiling looks like the rustic building I fought with for me recent wedding. Definately a challenge to light!
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Well that was pretty classless.

Great job Cat!!!

That wood ceiling looks like the rustic building I fought with for me recent wedding. Definately a challenge to light!

What's really ironic lighting wise is that I hated the way the dressing room photos looked no camera, but then they actually looked really nice when I got them in the computer. Go figure! Sometime things look different on the screen....
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    What's really ironic lighting wise is that I hated the way the dressing room photos looked no camera, but then they actually looked really nice when I got them in the computer. Go figure! Sometime things look different on the screen....
    As I've said before (and I ignore this all the time :D) - use the LCD only for compositional evaluation. Don't use it to check lighting quality - it will lie to you every time!

Last Sunday, I did a family portrait session and I kept chimping and thinking the off-camera flash I was using was too much. But, I reviewed my technique, looking for something I had missed and, not thinking of anythingl, I kept at it. When I got the photos home they turned out to be a bit better than all right.